Looking for advice, night landings...

PilotInTraining50

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
GW50
Looking for some assistance. Currently trying to pursue aviation professionally.

While entering my physical logbook into an electronic logbook, I noticed an error. Towards the beginning of my training, I have an hour-long flight, with .6 during the day and .4 during the night. This flight concluded with 1 night landing logged.

This however (to my understanding) is impossible as night landings can only be logged at least 1 hour after sunset.

Here is my plan:

On any flight that has a night landing logged with under .5 of night flight (that commenced prior to civil twilight), on my electronic logbook, I will denote in the remarks: “Not towards 61.57(b)”.

(There are 3 total flights with this error out of 196, making three-night landings logged improperly)

I checked to ensure I was current to fly even without these landings, and I was.

My questions:

Can a pilot log a night landing after civil twilight yet before 1 hour after sunset, and denote them as not for currency purposes?

How does this effect my next IACRA? Should I subtract 3 night landings from my total?

Thanks a bunch.

I think you're over complicating things, but since this worries you, don't log them as night landings in your new logbook, and do at least three night landings before your next IACRA. (But I don't think your IACRA numbers have to be consistent.)

If this time or the landing was for the private pilot night training requirement, I would let it be.

Or, you could not log night at all unless it would be “night enough” for takeoffs/landings to count. That would simplify things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, I'm confused by the premise...do you remember these flights in question? There's no "quasi" zone 'twixt day and night according to the FAA. Either it's less than an hour after sunset and before, and it's called day, or it's an hour plus after sunset and it's called night. That's how my CFI had me do my first night flight. By practicing touch n goes half an hour after sunset and into the night as defined by the FAA. Half of that flight is day, and half of it is night.

The landings occurred at night, but they do not qualify for night currency. No discrepancy in that statement all. If you'd like a note to yourself to remember that, have at it. It's your logbook.

Back