Medical Denied - Recurrent Disease

D

Denied

Well folks.. I just had my medical denied due to recurrent disease and I'm not eligible for the SSRI pathway due to dual meds in the past. I'm really bummed out, but considering powered paragliders and ultralights.. still not the same though :(

My question is: can I prove to the FAA after a certain amount of time passes without meds or psych problems that I'm "cured" and disease isn't expected to recur? I was last on medication for anxiety 7 years ago and have maintained a successful life (held a job, gotten married, etc.) Is there a time period where the FAA says "OK you haven't had ___ in X years, your disease is no longer expected to recur and you can hold a medical?"

Thanks

If it’s a mental illness, then I doubt it.

Mental illness is the FAA's boogey man; perhaps get in touch with a HIMS AME to see what your chances may be.
That being said, there are some very high-performance motor gliders capable of good speed, and cross-country flight, such as the Stemme S12. No medical required!

If it’s a mental illness, then I doubt it.

It’s crazy what they classify as “mental illness” I was medicated for anxiety and depression when my wife was murdered while walking our dog 15 years ago and again for anxiety/insomnia 6 years ago. You’d think they’d give certain events consideration, but now I’m labeled as a diseased Shutter Island type...

Meanwhile I personally know half a dozen suicidal airline pilots flying after 35 days of “treatment”.

... and a letter from an anonymous sponsor.

WOW

There are some airmen who cannot be certified. As I have posted many times, FAA denies "recurrent disease, untreated and unmodified", because it will recur again (it already has).

For the ON SSRI program, the cases with "severity" are excluded.
upload_2021-3-14_13-0-22.png

...and so some applicants cannot be certified airmen.

Now the next part has TERRIBLE life outcomes if not under the supervision of a Board Certified Psychiatrist: If you and demonstrate 10 years of (1) No meds, (2) no events, (3) Successful life test well documented by supervisors, bosses, teachers, continuously documented, at the end of 10 they will reconsider. But If you just "throw your meds away" unsupervised, and you have a recurrence, you can/will ruin your life. Don't do this latter. And if the Psychiatrist advises against, he's got a reason- your best interests.

There are some airmen who cannot be certified. As I have posted many times, FAA denies "recurrent disease, untreated and unmodified", because it will recur again (it already has).

For the ON SSRI program, the cases with "severity" are excluded.
View attachment 94628

...and so some applicants cannot be certified airmen.

Now the next part has TERRIBLE life outcomes if not under the supervision of a Board Certified Psychiatrist: If you and demonstrate 10 years of (1) No meds, (2) no events, (3) Successful life test well documented by supervisors, bosses, teachers, continuously documented, at the end of 10 they will reconsider. But If you just "throw your meds away" unsupervised, and you have a recurrence, you can/will ruin your life. Don't do this latter. And if the Psychiatrist advises against, he's got a reason- your best interests.

In a very similar situation to OP…
Denied due to recurrent disease (Depression) with dual medications (Zoloft/Wellbutrin). Haven’t been on anything in years.

@bbchien How successful has the 10 year waiting/documentation approach been in your experience? Had any big successes?

In a very similar situation to OP…
Denied due to recurrent disease (Depression) with dual medications (Zoloft/Wellbutrin). Haven’t been on anything in years.

@bbchien How successful has the 10 year waiting/documentation approach been in your experience? Had any big successes?
Once. He requried four rounds of P&Ps and started right at the ten year mark. He has a second class SI.

Once. He requried four rounds of P&Ps and started right at the ten year mark. He has a second class SI.

Doctor Bruce: What’s the denominator in that fraction? Is that one of one, one of ten?

Just curious.

This is serious stuff, for a fact!

Mental illness is the FAA's boogey man; perhaps get in touch with a HIMS AME to see what your chances may be.
That being said, there are some very high-performance motor gliders capable of good speed, and cross-country flight, such as the Stemme S12. No medical required!

There are a lot of people having a lot of fun with Kit Fox and similar aircraft as well. Might depend on where you live, but back country flying is popular and fun. Light sport.

The FAA really attempts to deceive a lot of people on this topic, which results in completely unnecessary denials and a lock out from Sport pilot options.

They think “I’ve been off 60 days good to go.”

No where in the FAA’s public documentation or AME guide does it mention this recurrent disease requires an SSRI.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back