Question about First Time Medical Certification with Sinus Surgery

A

anonymous

Good afternoon,

I recently got introduced to the wonderful world of flight through a discovery flight and wanted to start my journey. My pilot friend advised me to get my medical done first thing so that I wouldn't have to wait for it. So I did that and was told by the AME that he had to send my request for FAA approval. He seemed concerned that my sinus surgery in December of last year (2020) may be an issue.

The surgery was to remove polyps to ensure proper drainage and my condition is treatable with prescription/over the counter medicine that is non-drowsy.

So, does anyone have any experience with getting a Class III approval after you have had sinus surgery? The doctor said I should get some kind of documentation from my treating ENT saying that I won't have issues with flying. I talked with my ENT and they have never issued such a letter before. Any advice on what should be written?

Finally, does anyone have an estimate on how long I should expect to get my first decision from the FAA? It's been two weeks since my AME exam and haven't heard back on anything.

Please forgive my anxiety and nervousness. I am just really excited to try and get this behind me and start. I don't know what to expect and am just really left wondering what is next.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in Advance!

I had a much more involved Septoplasty surgery that reconstructed my nasal passages to correct a deviated septum, and reducing turbinates.

First class was issued on the spot, no records were required. Not sure why AME deferred.

I think we’ve seen here that the faa will take months to process medical paperwork

if your dr doesn’t know what to write then write it for them (poster went flying x times with no issues or whatever)

signe, dopey internet poster

This requires no doucmentation other than AME inspection....provided you do not have the diagnosis of "chronic sinusitis". I would request the pathology report from the procedure so that I can write, "Benign pathology".

This requires no doucmentation other than AME inspection....provided you do not have the diagnosis of "chronic sinusitis". I would request the pathology report from the procedure so that I can write, "Benign pathology".

Okay, I will check with my ENT in the morning and see if I am diagnosed with chronic sinusitis. I had to look up the meaning of that and saw that might be the case since they were trying to remove polyps that were blocking the drainage of my sinuses.

Worse case, is chronic sinusitis a disqualifying diagnosis? Or is there things like 'treated with no complications' to allow for issuance of a medical?

Thanks!

Alright, I talked to my ENT and he said I do have chronic sinusitis. Does that mean I am disqualified?

I guess it's better to find out now versus paying for training and having to stop midway.

At one time I had a polyp on my vocal cord that prevented speech for about
an hour in the am. A deviated septum was associated with the condition.
Surgery was performed to correct the condition. I recall the doc saying ; “You don’t
have to worry , it’s benign “. Since I was much younger then I really never considered
a reason to worry. All has been well since then and no issues renewing a Class 2.
The doc told me not to smoke for about 1 week. I used the requirement to quit for good.
It may have saved my life as I had been told that emphysema was in my future.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back