Rough River 2022 (2I3) 4/22 - 4/24

Want to go, but will be on another vacation that week.

I will keep the date in mind.
We have been regulars at RR the last few years, nice little airport.
We stay at the lodge since it is only my wife and dog.
I think we were only there once in 2020 because of the covid thing, they were mostly closed during the week.
This year we were there 3 times but have become unhappy about the condition of the park and lodge rooms.
They told us they don't have enough help to keep the place up and clean. The grounds are awful the last time we were the Aug 2021, dirty.

They remodeled the rooms which used to be like a lodge in the woods, dated wood but had a good feel to us. Now they are like a cheap dirty motel and all the lodge feel is gone inside. The AC did not work right and the shower was broke in a newly remodeled room in Aug 2021. They said they didn't have anyone to look at it.
We decided not to go back for a while, too expensive also for crappy service and lodge rooms.
We have never stayed in the cabins. I know they have remodeled some of them also.

Like the airport and I have stopped there a couple times this year just to take a break.
IMG_0343.JPG

We were there early 2021, had to scrap the frost off before first flight of the day.
IMG_9921.JPG

End of a long day of flying.
IMG_9998.JPG

Wow, sad to hear Covid has taken such a toll on the place. That said, I'm in for this year.

Wow, sad to hear Covid has taken such a toll on the place. That said, I'm in for this year.

now all we need is a solid commitment from @RDUPilot and everything else will fall into place*

*FYI, RESERVE PLANE NOW

I have my bag of things that I forgot last time. and given that they are a year older, they should be that much more exciting.
I will either be in the Cirrus or not the Cirrus

I have my bag of things that I forgot last time. and given that they are a year older, they should be that much more exciting.
I will either be in the Cirrus or not the Cirrus
And now that you have your IFR ticket, no unplanned leaving the Cirrus in Arkansas

So we started out at Kentucky Dam then someone said “hey I think rough river might be better” and so that’s kinda how it happened. I ‘think’ that person ‘might’ have been @tmyers but my memory may be foggy at times. All times.

Yeah, I had been there a couple times and knew it wasn't as spread out as Ky Dam State Park, you can blame me, it is on my list this year and I am retired now, so its a definite maybe

Last edited:
Does anyone remember this creature, I forget if this was at Ky Dam or Rough River, aw pic file is from 2018 so this was at Ky Dam

upload_2021-11-14_12-34-49.png

I’m definitely in. It’s so close I drive there. So, I don’t have to worry about club plane breaking.

Are we doing the grab a bunch of cottages in that one loop? If so, anyone want to split one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m definitely in. It’s so close I drive there. So, I don’t have to worry about club plane breaking.

Are we doing the grab a bunch of cottages in that one loop? If so, anyone want to split one?

I emailed her last week to let her know the group was in again for this coming year but normally we don’t start booking cabins and rooms until after the new year. I’ll follow up with her this week to see if we can start booking early. And yes I did mention to her that we’d most likely take up all of those cabins in that one cul-de-sac, at least.

Great! Let me know when I need to whip out my platinum aluminum card...

OK we are good to start booking any time. I just booked a cabin. request a cabin in "the first loop" if you want a cabin, otherwise you can get one in the other loop or a lodge room. last time we had all the cabins in the 1st loop, which is closer to the runway, so we didn't disturb too many other people with our shenanigans. if/when you are going to book, use discount code 2632. or pay full price, totally up to you. hopefully that signup sheet magically appears out of nowhere like it does every year :)

I'd never heard of this fly-in, so I googled it. The first review was a good one, but I thought it was funny they had edited out a word. I'm sure he said "cult" but their editing made it worse!

I think that I flew in to the first Rough River gathering in my Piper C**t and for many years following in Cessna 172s and Piper Cherokee180. Rough River was one of my favorite places to land and walk over to the lodge for a great breakfast, lunch or dinner. It is a diamond in the KY Park System and I hope that it continues to be a fly-in destination now and in the future.

I’m in like donkey kong (with the club rental availability provision).

OK we are good to start booking any time. I just booked a cabin. request a cabin in "the first loop" if you want a cabin, otherwise you can get one in the other loop or a lodge room. last time we had all the cabins in the 1st loop, which is closer to the runway, so we didn't disturb too many other people with our shenanigans. if/when you are going to book, use discount code 2632. or pay full price, totally up to you. hopefully that signup sheet magically appears out of nowhere like it does every year :)

plane booked..... check
cabin booked..... check

now the date needs to get here

Sue and I have always enjoyed this event, but big conflict. The Twin Cessna Flyers Convention is taking place at the same time. This is kind of a must do event for my type (C414) and is taking place at a cool venue Horseshoe Bay Resort in Texas. So sadly we'll just have to follow the Rough River antics in abstentia for 2022. Have fun.

Sue and I have always enjoyed this event, but big conflict. The Twin Cessna Flyers Convention is taking place at the same time. This is kind of a must do event for my type (C414) and is taking place at a cool venue Horseshoe Bay Resort in Texas. So sadly we'll just have to follow the Rough River antics in abstentia for 2022. Have fun.

:(

Is your home built close to flying status, Rick

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Calendar is clear. Cabin Booked. Just need to buy an airplane.

For those that already got a cabin, anyone want to split it with me (possibly also my wife)? Otherwise, I’ll call and grab one later today.

For those that already got a cabin, anyone want to split it with me (possibly also my wife)? Otherwise, I’ll call and grab one later today.

Ditto, cabin not booked, willing to split a 2 bedroom cabin. Non-axe murder types prefered! :biggrin:

Ditto, cabin not booked, willing to split a 2 bedroom cabin. Non-axe murder types prefered! :biggrin:
Also ditto. I’ll probably bring my tent as a backup, but always happy to split a cabin.

Edit: and I’m totally cool with Axe murderers - ya know, just do your thing…

[mention]Bill [/mention]

[mention]kaiser [/mention]
I never did call for a cabin yet. Either of you willing to split with me and my wife? (I’m only a hatchet murderer, working my way up to axe...)

Last edited:
Dam tornado!

Passed close to KY Dam, and stopped right at Rough River Dam.
Damaged the runway lights at RR and the airport is closed for now. Lodge is not affected.

Hopefully less winds in April.

upload_2021-12-15_8-53-35.png

I just booked a cabin. If anyone wants to split that, let me know.

I just booked a cabin. If anyone wants to split that, let me know.

hey crash7.. you have to list one of the following before anyone takes you up on splitting cabin…
A. Axe Murderer
B. Arsonist
C. Serial Killer
D. All-Three
E. None of the Above

:p:D

hey crash7.. you have to list one of the following before anyone takes you up on splitting cabin…
A. Axe Murderer
B. Arsonist
C. Serial Killer
D. All-Three
E. None of the Above

:p:D

Is there a free-form/fill-in-the-blank option?

Back