Let's talk about 121.5...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brad Z

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brad Z
I expect a few pages of "IBTL" posts so have at it.

In the last two weeks I've taken four flights. In each of those flights, no more than 20 minutes has passed before someone pipes up with some sort of "Brandon" message on the guard frequency.

I get it. It's funny. I'm not some wussy snowflake.

But seriously folks. It may have been mildly amusing the first time...maybe even the second.
...But cryst-all-my-tee, after the billionth exchange...sigh.

It's all quite predictable: someone whispers "Brandonnnn" someone replies with "knock it off", and then the chorus of "must be a Biden voter..." and on and on...

I'm generally not a fan of unsolicited political discourse. I mean, I can walk away from my sister or a my crazy neighbor, but I'd rather not turn off comm #2 list because of silly chatter.

Interestingly, this afternoon there was an emergency on the frequency and someone ended up (successfully!) landing on a field. Of course lord knows if anyone actually heard it due to the chatter, or by virtue of the radio volume set to '0'.

On behalf of controllers, FSS personal, and everyone else in a cockpit who's required to maintain a listening watch on 121.5, please keep your political commentary on the internet, where it belongs.

Thank you.

At least it has meaning vs the meow. And with southwest, mandates, restrictions, inflation, war on fossil fuel (the stuff that makes our stuff fly) it’s good for the rank and files to take up a, albeit comical, stand.

Has there been a plane who couldn’t get out a mayday because of a “let’s go Brandon”?
Sounds like as you were able to hear a distress call, and he wasn’t blocked, it’s a much to do about nothing?

old.jpg

Reminds me of the old days of "Convoy" when everyone was on CH19 CB. I really don't get it and I don't care one way or another politically, but the MEOW and now Brandon stuff get's pretty boring.

the brandon thing is something political? Seems pretty childish. If you don't like someone, why not just come out and say it? Just as dumb as the meow thing.

the brandon thing is something political? Seems pretty childish. If you don't like someone, why not just come out and say it? Just as dumb as the meow thing.
I agree, but could they do it on, say 123.45, instead?

Do u really not know what it is? People DID come out and say exactly what they meant to say but it turned into something else. Pretty fargin hilarious. Oh and pretty spot on as well but I won’t go there.

I prefer the original version. But, using the first word is also illegal on the radio!

There’s two types of people in this world….those who complain about meowing and everybody else.

I don’t know if that’s true but it sounds about right.

Comedy is a funny thing (get it?)...what is funny to one, isn't to another, and is "offensive" to a third. Personally, the more it goes on, the funnier it gets for me. But then again, I find repetitive things such as this absolutely H I L A R I O U S:

It distracts controllers. My understanding is that 121.5 is on speaker in facilities, so everyone hears it. Dumb and not funny IMO.

They have Add?

paging FAA party officials to the beige phone

I went from ocean city md to Boston and I didn’t make it half way up the Jersey coast and just turned 121.5 off. Can’t stand listening to that crap. I did make sure I was monitoring while flying through the Rehoboth DE TFR.

So you're saying using 121.5 for other than non emergency transmissions is acceptable?

I’m saying if someone just saying “let’s go Brandon” puts a controller into an stooper they might have a mental issue.

I hear far more pointless stuff in my comms and I’m not “distracted” from my duties

Last edited:
upload_2021-11-13_16-21-8.png

Is it better if they just spell it out?

IBTL

(*someone* had to, the OP practically begged for it...)

I’m saying if someone just saying “let’s go Brandon” puts a controller into an stooper they might have a mental issue.

I hear for more pointless stuff in my comms and I’m not “distracted” from my duties

Ok.

So you're saying the behavior is acceptable?

Is it acceptable to use 121.5 for anything other than emergency purposes?

Is it acceptable to use FAA medical for anything other than modern evidence based medicine?

It’s hard to take some of this seriously when the gate keepers are, as Boeing said, “like a dog watching TV”

It’s not “cool”

I should be able to hold my tax paid officials to a higher standard.

I also should not be held to a higher standard than my officials.

It seems we are 0 strikes you’re out, and they are bumper bowling.

And yet I’m asked to care about some pilots saying “let’s go Brandon” on 21.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back