Wood wing Bellancas?

Huckster79

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Huckster79
Ok I’m a sucker for vintage craft… recently the Cruiseair has caught my eye. I understand it’s a wooden wing, but I know it’s sibling the Viking seems still quite popular. Where do I find solid info on ownership of a wood wing plane, such as how/who to get to inspect and repair or restore a wing, etc…

As always, the best advice will come from the owners which can be found in the Bellanca Type club.

The Bellanca type club has all the literature you need including the one on that wood wing inspection. It’s inexpensive and worth while.

people are afraid of wood spars, remember, the stress life of wood is INFINITE.

I have a penchant for them as well, good luck in your search.

Lots of those wood airplanes are in poor shape, in the desert west the air is too dry and the wood dries out and cracks. In the humid parts of the country the wood can rot. Plugged drain holes in the control surfaces and wings accelerates the rot. If it was stored outside for any length of time it probably has issues.

Lots of those wood airplanes are in poor shape, in the desert west the air is too dry and the wood dries out and cracks. In the humid parts of the country the wood can rot. Plugged drain holes in the control surfaces and wings accelerates the rot. If it was stored outside for any length of time it probably has issues.

for sure… I know ya don’t want to buy one like ya might buy a 150 with a good owner prebuy… I’m not opposed to some restoration as I have my c140 to fly… I hope to find one that’s a “flyable project” that the bones are good but open to giving it some love

And how old is the fabric? Even the wing is fabric-covered, and it's glued down tight to the plywood sheeting. Not much fun getting that off without damage.

I did some work on a Viking. The maintenance manual has some very specific instructions on how the wing root fairings are to be sealed in order to keep moisture away from the wooden structure. I found that someone had sealed the leading edge fairings with construction adhesive instead of dumdum, making removal nearly impossible in order to do the annual AD wing structure rot inspection. You need to get at the spar ends to probe and inspect. Having owned and restored a wooden Jodel, I can tell you that you have to take all this stuff seriously. VERY seriously.

Fabric recover jobs are expensive. Labor-intensive. And once the old rag is off you find stuff that needs fixing, every time, adding to the cost. The cost can easily outweigh the airplane's net worth in the end.

Never make the mistake of thinking that because the airplane is priced low, that ownership and operating costs will also be low. The Viking (and Cruisair) is a complex airplane, with all the expensive bits that a complex has: big engine, CS prop and governor, sometimes a turbo, retractable gear driven by hydraulic pumps and more circuitry, and so on. A Viking's fuel system is awesomely complicated. This makes maintenance and insurance much more expensive. Parts for such an airplane can be scarce and cost plenty, and the shop rates for an old airplane are the same as for a brand-new airplane. Buying it is one thing; keeping it and flying it are another thing altogether.

The Cruisair has a small engine, but it was a Franklin (uh-oh) and had a fixed-pitch prop. Somewhat simpler.

There is no such thing as a cheap old airplane.

Ok I’m a sucker for vintage craft… recently the Cruiseair has caught my eye. I understand it’s a wooden wing, but I know it’s sibling the Viking seems still quite popular. Where do I find solid info on ownership of a wood wing plane, such as how/who to get to inspect and repair or restore a wing, etc…
DUDE Yes! I know nothing about wood wings, but DAMN are they beautiful planes - cheap too. I know their gear system is pretty bullet proof since it's a manual crank.

Also - When are we going flying?

A local dude bought himself a Viking. What a great deal! Wasn't easy finding a mechanic that would work on it, though. Wasn't easy finding a hangar. And it took awhile to find a CFI his insurer was comfortable to teach him to fly the thing.

I've gone through stuff like this for the Mooney, and it's a fairly common airplane. I can't imagine who it'd be in rarer birds like the Bellancas. I di agree though, they are beautiful to look at, especially if someone else if feeding and housing them.

[QUOTE}

There is no such thing as a cheap old airplane.[/QUOTE]

Is there a cheap new airplane?

I have seen people buy an airplane that was older and "cheap" and pass up a much newer airplane for twice the money, and then spend so much on all the crap found in their "cheap" airplane that they could have had the newer, low time airplane for less, overall. And have an airplane with much better resale value, too.

I have seen people buy an airplane that was older and "cheap" and pass up a much newer airplane for twice the money, and then spend so much on all the crap found in their "cheap" airplane that they could have had the newer, low time airplane for less, overall. And have an airplane with much better resale value, too.

Of course, but you know that there are also plenty of newer airplanes that owners have neglected and can be money pits too for the unsuspecting buyer.

I’ve seen less than 15 year old airplanes literally rotting in their tie downs on ramps throughout Florida. A buyer needs to do their research.

And how old is the fabric? Even the wing is fabric-covered, and it's glued down tight to the plywood sheeting. Not much fun getting that off without damage.

I did some work on a Viking. The maintenance manual has some very specific instructions on how the wing root fairings are to be sealed in order to keep moisture away from the wooden structure. I found that someone had sealed the leading edge fairings with construction adhesive instead of dumdum, making removal nearly impossible in order to do the annual AD wing structure rot inspection. You need to get at the spar ends to probe and inspect. Having owned and restored a wooden Jodel, I can tell you that you have to take all this stuff seriously. VERY seriously.

Fabric recover jobs are expensive. Labor-intensive. And once the old rag is off you find stuff that needs fixing, every time, adding to the cost. The cost can easily outweigh the airplane's net worth in the end.

Never make the mistake of thinking that because the airplane is priced low, that ownership and operating costs will also be low. The Viking (and Cruisair) is a complex airplane, with all the expensive bits that a complex has: big engine, CS prop and governor, sometimes a turbo, retractable gear driven by hydraulic pumps and more circuitry, and so on. A Viking's fuel system is awesomely complicated. This makes maintenance and insurance much more expensive. Parts for such an airplane can be scarce and cost plenty, and the shop rates for an old airplane are the same as for a brand-new airplane. Buying it is one thing; keeping it and flying it are another thing altogether.

The Cruisair has a small engine, but it was a Franklin (uh-oh) and had a fixed-pitch prop. Somewhat simpler.

There is no such thing as a cheap old airplane.

All that makes sense! My c140 has turned out to be pretty cheap besides all the extras I did t have to do but have! . But I hear ya… I’m not just enamored that they are “cheap” to buy…. Certainly a plus point but I figure if I go for this it will need to be for the love a passion of it… there’s just something really cool about a “4” place 140mph taildragger that’s not a c180…

DUDE Yes! I know nothing about wood wings, but DAMN are they beautiful planes - cheap too. I know their gear system is pretty bullet proof since it's a manual crank.

Also - When are we going flying?

Im going to think about it- but only as a 2nd bird as I know it’s going to need to be a labor of love maintaining such a bird.

Yea we need to do that! This summer got away from me… with the wedding and necessary remodel I think I’ll only have maybe 50-60 hrs on the 140 for the year. We’re trying to jam out the remodel so it only ate this year and not a couple. My pad made the most sense location wise but I won’t lie it was in “barn find” shape :) as a bachelor I was good with a place to Shlit shower and shave. Won’t lie tho feels nice making it nice. So anyway- we’re going to need to do some winter flying or meet in the spring n camp the UP or something!

The Bellanca type club has all the literature you need including the one on that wood wing inspection. It’s inexpensive and worth while.

people are afraid of wood spars, remember, the stress life of wood is INFINITE.

I have a penchant for them as well, good luck in your search.

Until it cracks, dry rots, shrinks, loses finish, or attacked by fungus.

Last edited:
All that makes sense! My c140 has turned out to be pretty cheap besides all the extras I did t have to do but have! . But I hear ya… I’m not just enamored that they are “cheap” to buy…. Certainly a plus point but I figure if I go for this it will need to be for the love a passion of it… there’s just something really cool about a “4” place 140mph taildragger that’s not a c180…
I would much prefer the 180 or a 185, but the price of those airplanes now! Horrible.

I read an article a good while ago, I think by Budd Davisson, in which he talked about how to inspect a wooden structure Pitts. The same kind of inspection would apply. I don't have a link, but am betting you could use Google and find it.

The Vikings perform very well - and as people noted above - if you maintain them correctly they can be solid planes.

They made my short list - but ended up with a Commander.

Their forum is very active and has a lot of good people with good info: http://www.vikingpilots.com/

Good luck

Dean

The Vikings perform very well - and as people noted above - if you maintain them correctly they can be solid planes.
Which is the key. If you find one that has been taken care of, it can be a fine airplane.

You have to do the due diligence. I knew a guy who bought one without a thorough prebuy. Flew it a few times and then took it in for its first annual…..airplane never flew again.

You have to do the due diligence. I knew a guy who bought one without a thorough prebuy. Flew it a few times and then took it in for its first annual…..airplane never flew again.
That's why some mechanics avoid such airplanes. They don't want to have to tell that new owner that his first annual is also his last annual.

I read an article a good while ago, I think by Budd Davisson, in which he talked about how to inspect a wooden structure Pitts. The same kind of inspection would apply. I don't have a link, but am betting you could use Google and find it.

I think I found it, it was Rod Mochaco (sp?). It was quite detailed. Now I need to hunt down a wood and fabric knowledgable a&p in Michigan...

The shop I work in part time services a couple of Bellancas. One had ROTTEN flaps, a bag of sawdust and rotted wood. It needs constant attention, always something. The other got a very expensive LyCon 540, its a good plane. The other, just one step away from firewood with fabric on it.

Back