I'm baaaaack!

One of my heroes growing up. :)
Wanna share a little bit on that?
Growing up, my father flew DC-3s, and then C-46s for Gene Zerkel and Duane Zantop in Fairbanks Alaska. Then John Coghill, owner of a fuel company and later a State Senator, bought one of the Zantop brother's 46s and dad flew fuel oil all over the state in it. All his friends were pilots. Two of them kept a Taylorcraft and a Sikorsky S-58 (U-34) at Phillips.

I loved going there and hanging out. Mom didn't think it was a very wholesome environment. Ruffians piloted barges full of fuel oil up the river, and only slightly more civilized pilots flew it into the interior-- in her opinion. I started reading everything I could about female pilots... Marjorie Stinson, she taught a young Ohio race-car driver named Rickenbacher to fly. She was Ed Stinson's sister. Their mother owned the flying school in San Antonio. Eddie and Marjorie's sister Katherine also taught at the school.

Marvel Crosson, who with her brother Joe, bought a WWI surplus Curtis floatplane in San Diego. Neither had any experience in aviation, but they taught themselves to fly it and took it to Alaska to start a business there. She set an altitude record in a Travel Air and then died during the 1929 Women's Air Derby when she bailed out at too low of an altitude for her 'chute to open.

There were tons of examples, like Edna Whyte who trained pilots for WW2. But the most exciting were the Russian women who actually flew combat missions during the war. Both of my grandfathers had served in Europe during WW2. Dad had tromped around the Michelin Plantation (on what he called "an all-expense paid walking tour") when I was a baby.

No matter how many biographies I read or shared with her, mom just didn't think that flying was the sort of thing a young woman should set her sights on. I should do something "ladylike," not something crass. Well, the engineering college I attended had a male:female ratio of about 8.5:1 in the mid 80s...

Last edited:
By the way, has anybody told you that you bear a stunning resemblance to Lydia Litvyak?

I’d never heard of her, but reading her wiki, wow, Litvyak has a fascinating story.

I especially like it when, as a Soviet fighter pilot, she met a newly captured German ace she had shot down, and he couldn’t believe he had been bested by a woman.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lydia_Litvyak

KUDOS... The flat spot on my forehead is from the walls I smack my face into when my wife says "it's just what I wanted, but I can't buy the first (house, dryer, dishwasher, car, refrigerator...) whatever... that I looked at." :)

I did the same thing with my second pick-up truck. Bought the first year of a Toyota T100. It was a GREAT truck. The only reason I let it go was, when my late husband passed away, he had a newer 4Runner with a LOT fewer miles on it. I already had a Camry and really just needed a winter/field vehicle. So I let the T100 go. It ended up going to an acquaintance, so it got a good home. Although come to think of it, it wasn't the first I looked at. I knew I was partial to Toyotas, so I tried everything else first. Hated 'em all until I got to the T100. I guess what I was trying to say is there are people who don't think you should buy the first model year, either.

What a treat to see you back!

I do recall reading your posts, and seeing your beautiful airplane, in my early days on the forums, including the genesis of POA in 2005.

Don’t be a stranger!

I remember your plane from a Cessna Pilots Association seminar in Santa Maria shortly after you purchased it. I have a better memory for planes (and dogs) so my memory of you is a bit hazy. I wish I had kept the 182, they are great planes.

I remember your plane from a Cessna Pilots Association seminar in Santa Maria shortly after you purchased it. I have a better memory for planes (and dogs) so my memory of you is a bit hazy. I wish I had kept the 182, they are great planes.

I was there. The panel has been upgraded substantially and it's been repainted. You might remember people were drooling over the six-cylinder prime. When I replaced the engine, I was adamant that it be configured to keep that.

I really need to update my avatar.

Thanks again, everyone!

Back