I feel weird (plane market)

No worries.....when gas gets to $10 you'll be brought back down to earth. ;)

So sell your 180 and buy a POS. Then you won't have to worry about what its worth.

No worries.....when gas gets to $10 you'll be brought back down to earth. ;)
We all experienced a increase in value of our planes...I think?
I don't worry about what it's worth yet because I am nowhere near ready to sell, I hope.

Crazy thing is now is a great time to sell a 172.
But then you have to buy another plane and go through I what did to update the 172 in most cases.
In reality a skyhawk does everything I need it to do for me. So I plan to keep it a long time.

Especially if avgas gets to 10 bucks a gallon it would be a good time to own a 172. IMO

I also wish idiots in the “STOL” “bush” flying community would quit crashing airplanes. The whole STOL culture is super ****ing stupid.

If GA's existence is predicated on flying the legacy fleet forever, then GA is going to suffer a long, slow slide to irrelevance. At some point, we're going to need some new airplanes.

If GA's existence is predicated on flying the legacy fleet forever, then GA is going to suffer a long, slow slide to irrelevance. At some point, we're going to need some new airplanes.

GA is going to die with my generation. Unless something fundamentally changes in our economic system.

GA is going to die with my generation. Unless something fundamentally changes in our economic system.
I once asked a friend if there would ever be an explosion of music like there was in the 60's. He replied that no, the 60's was a singular time that will never be repeated.

GA's explosion in the 50's and 60's is similar, IMHO. There was a unique combination of events that made it possible (economic, governmental, societal, etc). But just like good old Rock & Roll, GA will keep on rocking into the future to a more measured beat. That is my fondest hope.

Having said that, having new, affordable airplanes (as Hangie suggests) wouldn't hurt either.

I could t agree more! My friends tell me I need a faster more capable bird. She does 100mph, she’s gotten me in and out of Johnson Creek, she’s hauled my butt up off 8500’ DA and she drinks 5gph… until I have a kid move to a coast then she’s everything I need and want for my missions. Sure more ponies are cool, but if ya can learn how to fly in ground effect after lift off instead of “rotating” she’s fine on a shorter strip- I don’t need in and out of 500’ I just don’t. Maintenance isn’t a killer, gas bill is great, so another 50k and more per hour to fly gets me there quicker on a long long cross country once a year.
I just bought a 182. I was just telling someone I miss my Cessna 140. Flying around on less than 5 gph, nothing that expensive to fix on it, easy to pull out of the hangar, got a lot of attention, etc. 100 mph is more than enough to get you around! I had to have a biplane though, and now I've decided I need a photo plane, so here I go... going to be expensive!

The whole STOL culture is super ****ing stupid.

Amen. I 100% agree - it's the worst. But I don't think think they are causing prices to go up because they're crashing so many planes. Insurance on taildraggers, yes, overall market prices, no.

I also wish idiots in the “STOL” “bush” flying community would quit crashing airplanes. The whole STOL culture is super ****ing stupid.

I disagree that STOL is stupid. It is just different than airport to airport flying. I grew up (and learned to fly) in Alaska. Moved to "the U.S." fairly recently (Colorado). In Alaska, many/most of the non-STOL aircraft we use in the lower 48 are just not that practical for most of the best destinations. In a state where the road system only allows access to less than 10% of the total area and official airfields are a long way apart, the more landing spots you can use, the better. There are similar regions in the continental U.S., but they are smaller. :)

I agree that a few folks(usually those with more money than brains) always take things too far... But I am amazed and delighted by the advances in STOL capability in recent years - lighter airframes, more power, better landing gear, lighter/bigger tires, aero improvements, etc. The Bellanca Scout, 150 Supercub and 185 I was flying in AK were pretty capable, but not like what is available now.

Bending airplanes in the back country is (unfortunately) just part of the cost of the activity. Pretty much everyone I flew with did it at some point (including yours truly). Operating on wheels, floats and skis into challenging, unfamiliar or constantly changing landing areas, comes with associated risks. This is comparable to many other outdoor activities: offshore boats, backcountry skiing, rafting, etc. All I know is that I would have missed a whole lot of hunting, fishing, clam digging, and exploring, if I would have been limited to areas near airfields.

I think in the future GA will continue about were it is today. People will always have a fascination with flying. I expect we will see an ever growing shift to experimental though. New certified airplanes are just not going to be feasible for the masses. I see more then double the experimental now than just 10 years ago. I have not data behind that, just what I see.
Just my 2c

Yeah. Don't use instagram...

STOL culture is one of the few areas of GA competing for mindshare on social media. Like it or not, that is the world we live in now, and it ain't ever going back to the way it was. It would be great if the youngsters were clicking on pics of classic yellow cubs with 65hp engines and a cute bear logo, but they want super extreme cubs with 300hp engines in Mountain Dew color schemes, sponsored by Cheetos. And if some of those kids think to themselves, "hey, maybe I could learn to fly", then that's alright by me.

idiocracy.jpg

I just bought a 182. I was just telling someone I miss my Cessna 140. Flying around on less than 5 gph, nothing that expensive to fix on it, easy to pull out of the hangar, got a lot of attention, etc. 100 mph is more than enough to get you around! I had to have a biplane though, and now I've decided I need a photo plane, so here I go... going to be expensive!

never have I seen an armored car following a hearse ;)

I feel weird too as I'd like to purchase a plane, but at these prices it feels way over inflated. I keep hoping that this is a bubble but what if this is the new norm or prices just continue to go up from here?

The culture ain't stupid. I just wish there were more folks doing it on C150's rather than on nowadays overpriced "bush planes"

STOL culture is one of the few areas of GA competing for mindshare on social media. Like it or not, that is the world we live in now, and it ain't ever going back to the way it was. It would be great if the youngsters were clicking on pics of classic yellow cubs with 65hp engines and a cute bear logo, but they want super extreme cubs with 300hp engines in Mountain Dew color schemes, sponsored by Cheetos. And if some of those kids think to themselves, "hey, maybe I could learn to fly", then that's alright by me.

View attachment 101706

Ok, Boomer

Back