Memorable Resturants on/near field

“Fusion” opens this weekend at the London-Corbin Kentucky Airport. In the space that was occupied by “The Hangar” that closed in 2017(?). Might make a run up there next weekend.

Had lunch at Fusion today. Not an Asian restaurant, the sign said country and soul food I think.

They look to still be finishing up somethings, but it's looking nice inside. They are setting it up to play to the locals, which is smart. They have a live music/DJ space set up, along with an open bar. They also have outside seating facing the runway, with a cornhole set.

We couldn't get anything from the dinner menu for lunch. I had a brisket sandwich with onion rings. Brisket wasn't bad, onion rings were good. Full menu featured ribs, brisket, fried chicken, catfish, beans, collard greens, etc. Pretty much standard comfort food for around here.

Ate and watched the National Guard helicopters pull guys up on a line the whole time. Will eat at again.

KTOP - Philip Billard in Topeka, KS has one in the “terminal” building down the hall from the FBO. It’s the one I grew up with (got my PPL there and worked at the FBO throughout college). The owner, Tammy, started working there as a waitress and is good people.
And the most ridiculously big (and delicious) pancakes. My wife and I fly in on occasion and split one!

KCLL- Easterwood College Station, TX "Gate 12"

Harris Ranch Inn & Restaurant (3O8) Coalinga, CA, adjacent to I-5 in the central valley. This is the place for fantastic steaks. The airport tiedown area is a short walk (100 yards) from the restaurant.

Harris Ranch Inn & Restaurant

I wish the runway was simply a little longer.
What are you flying? I'm not saying that longer is not better, but 3O8 is 400 feet longer than my home field, and people fly Pilatuses and King Airs in and out of here.

I wish the runway was simply a little longer.
I hear you, Rusty. It's 2820 x 30, so has never been a problem for me in the 172 or my Zodiac, but it's the width more than the length that makes it look intimidating on short final; it's only three feet wider than the wingspan on the Zodiac. I might have second thoughts about flying there in a PA-32.

I hear you, Rusty. It's 2820 x 30, so has never been a problem for me in the 172 or my Zodiac, but it's the width more than the length that makes it look intimidating on short final; it's only three feet wider than the wingspan on the Zodiac. I might have second thoughts about flying there in a PA-32.

Yes, Stan. I forgot the width issue.

It’s narrower than the wingspan of lots of GA birds. Mine included.

btw, might be flying to STS in Nov.

Wouldn't the spacing between the mains be more relevant than the wing span?

Oh, almost forgot Merks in Muncie KMIE. Whenever we are southbound, we like to stop there. Looks a little rough on the outside, but great food and super convenient with it being on the ramp, but away from everything else, so you taxi right up.

I shed a tear when they closed the Airport Cafe at PWT. The Hub at Taco McNarrows should have tacos on the menu. Yup on the pies at the Goose at Port Townsend. The Hayviator poster on the wall there was my inspiration for my avatar. It was kinda eerie. Had never seen nor heard of that poster before. I had watched The Aviator the night before on TV and there it was. It was like sign from god or sumpin. Ya want Fish n Chips? Try Westport 14S. There are like about 10 Fish n Chips joints there. Well, maybe not 10 but there's a bunch. Just want a Fish. Walk to the dock and buy one fresh off a fishing boat. They'll wrap it with a little ice for you.

The good news about PWT is that the new restaurant (and other businesses) is under construction. The restaurant should open next summer. The bad news is that at this time there is no indication of who the new operator will be, nor what the menu will look like. As I have stated on this board, another board and to people based at PWT, if the restaurant doesn't bring in local traffic they will not be long for this world. Depending on fly-in traffic will not work around here.

if the restaurant doesn't bring in local traffic they will not be long for this world. Depending on fly-in traffic will not work around here.

In my experience, that's true pretty much everywhere. I'm trying to think of just one airport restaurant that doesn't depend on drive-in traffic to stay in business.

The good news about PWT is that the new restaurant (and other businesses) is under construction. The restaurant should open next summer. The bad news is that at this time there is no indication of who the new operator will be, nor what the menu will look like. As I have stated on this board, another board and to people based at PWT, if the restaurant doesn't bring in local traffic they will not be long for this world. Depending on fly-in traffic will not work around here.
I would think the new guys would be wise to heed the success of the previous joint and follow the theme and menu. Betcha there will be lotsa stuff hanging on the walls and from the ceiling that was saved and will show up in the new one

This one was on my radar for a few months. If your near Michigan it’s definitely worth a visit! Great tacos! Check out the Waco airplanes while you’re there!
https://www.wacokitchen.com/
The SO and I gave this one a try last night...I soooo wanted to love this place (a restaurant, overlooking an apron of a busy airport on one side, and overlooking a WACO aircraft factory on the other, what's not to love, right?). Then we had the food, YECH! Gross beyond belief. I got the tacos...Who the hell puts hot sauce and diced mango with cabbage on a taco??? My SO got "Cavatappi", which I put in quotes because it was just elbow noodles with something like cream of mushroom soup on them.
The waitress came over and noticed that neither of us had done more than taken a bite of our meals, and offered to remove part of the price of our bill. I told her she didn't have to do that, and she responded, "We do it all the time. Lots of people don't like our food." I thought "well at least she's honest" and it was nice of her to do that, until I noticed that she had removed $3 off a $60 bill. She could have saved me the time.

I won't be back to the Wacko kitchen (I think you gotta be wacko to like this place).

If you're in this area, go to "The Apron" in Jackson. The food is actually edible.

Last edited:
The SO and I gave this one a try last night...I soooo wanted to love this place (a restaurant, overlooking an apron of a busy airport on one side, and overlooking a WACO aircraft factory on the other, what's not to love, right?). Then we had the food, YECH! Gross beyond belief. I got the tacos...Who the hell puts hot sauce and diced mango with cabbage on a taco???

While I've never been to that restaurant, to be fair, the menu does say the tacos come with mango salsa and cabbage. My wife loves mango salsa, I'm sure we have some in the fridge right now.

And, really - you ordered tacos. In Michigan. Kinda like ordering a lobster roll in Oklahoma, no?

While I've never been to that restaurant, to be fair, the menu does say the tacos come with mango salsa and cabbage. My wife loves mango salsa, I'm sure we have some in the fridge right now.

And, really - you ordered tacos. In Michigan. Kinda like ordering a lobster roll in Oklahoma, no?
You're right, it was my fault their food was horrible.

And there is a difference between mango salsa and salsa with tons of diced up fresh mango added.

Wow that’s awful @Country Flier ! I’ve only been there once and had fish and steak tacos and they were very good! Sounds like this place is hit or miss.

Wow that’s awful @Country Flier ! I’ve only been there once and had fish and steak tacos and they were very good! Sounds like this place is hit or miss.
I was bummed for sure. If you're in that area again, give "The Apron" at Jackson a try. I find it has a pretty good menu.

The OSU airport has its own Barnstormers which just reopened. Breakfast place, really good. The folks who run it have a place in my hood that's always got a big line. TZR has a barbecue place, I'm told it's good but wouldn't know better. PCW has a diner and a little museum across the way. Of course 3W2 is Put in Bay Island, there isn't an airport on field but it hardly matters. The restaurant at TSO is simply outstanding. AOO had a nice restaurant on field when I was there, as did MGW.

To be honest, I've never had a decent lobster roll anywhere outside of the NE coastal towns. May be just a recipe thing than a "freshness of catch" problem, I dunno. Buy yeah, Mexican food (or even BBQ) in some areas of the country can be a specious experience. I'll leave the Lob-stah rolls to the regions that are known for it, lol.

KCRQ (Palomar): The Landings at Carlsbad
KPRB (Paso Robles): Joe's One-Niner Diner

Last edited:
We had the 94th aero squadron and 8th bomb group etc. A chain of airport themed restaurants. All the ones I visited were very good, with great ambiance. Sadly, I know of none anymore.
So many place that I used to know, but been a while so no idea if they still exist. The burgers were good @ Pueblo, but the line girls' was what you went to see. The pies @ West Yelowstone, and breakfast at Flagler.
Many memories.
We used to hit the 94th at PBI for lunch. It was within walking distance of Flight Safety. The hurricanes took a toll on the fiberglass P-47 out front.

Gulf Coasters:

NEW - New Orleans - Messina’s at the Terminal (can park at Flightline or Signature). Great New Orleans food. Call in advance to see if they’re open because of Covid. The Art Deco terminal at NEW is historically restored and beautiful to walk through.
Did that years ago. The art deco terminal is a must see. It was done under WPA prewar. My fellow pilots found the Customs "Hot spot" next to the resteraunt to be convenient for parking.

Is that restaurant good?

They are not Michelin Star restaurants but are both good (food and service) IMHO, and before/after eating at Joe's you can taxi over to the Estrella Warbirds Museum.

Back