Electric Tugs

FPK1

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
FPK1
Considering a nice to have electric aircraft tug... Anyone have a favorite make, model and pros/cons they can share? Plane will be about 2800 pounds but likely up size tug to pull 4-5k pounds.

I've researched these a bit:

BestTugs
ACAirTechnology
DJProducts

Considering a nice to have electric aircraft tug... Anyone have a favorite make, model and pros/cons they can share? Plane will be about 2800 pounds but likely up size tug to pull 4-5k pounds.

I've researched these a bit:

BestTugs
ACAirTechnology
DJProducts

I also have a Best Tug Alpha 3 for my 172.
Get one you won’t be sorry.

I was the first one to have a Best Tug at my airport.

The airport manager checked mine out and now they have 2 of them.

It is so worth it, just can’t tell you how great it is with out a long post.

I do not leave it attached to the plane anymore, always disconnect it to insure I never have a prop strike.
It is so easy to attach, takes 5 seconds and no bending over. So it is much wiser to disconnect each time and this tug makes it easy.

I fly 3-5 times a week, 23 days in a row last year this time. So I use it a lot.
Bought the A3 so if I ever get a 182.
IMG_9161.JPG

I park in the grass sometimes it will pull it out of the grass, has plenty of power and traction.
I'd get another one if something happened to this one. So worth the money. Mine is 3 years old now.
IMG_8910.JPG

I land after dark almost every flight this time of year.
I also use it to tow the plane up to the fuel pump and back to my hangar. Fast and comfortable unlike the slow gas tugs I see folks use bending over.
014(1).JPG

Last edited:
My hangar neighbor bought a Bravo recently...8000 some bucks!! They just unloaded it.
394.JPG

The bugs website does not list prices, what's the previous cost of an A3? I'll need something eventually. The slight uphill grade on my taxiway doesn't help.

The bugs website does not list prices, what's the previous cost of an A3? I'll need something eventually. The slight uphill grade on my taxiway doesn't help.
Send a e mail to best tugs at 7 pm on a fri. 3 minutes later my phone rings and it is one of the brothers calling me.

Said he had a "blem" A3 that he could ship pretty quickly. The reason for the blem was because one of the holes on the plastic cover was drilled off a little. All 4 thumb screws still fit pretty good, one is a little tight. It is no big deal, don't know if it was sales tool the blem thing? It cost $3600. 3 years ago.

https://redlineaviation.com/

Bought this about 3 months ago to pull 5300 lb Cessna 310. It does a great job. Inexpensive, easy to find replacement battery and charger, and it’s portable so you can take it with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I’d prefer the sidewinder for my needs, although I haven’t tried any of them. I typically just use the force to move my plane into the hangar. Do, or do not.

I have a Minimax tug which is simple and affordable. It is supposed to be good for 4000 lb. Works great for my AA-5, up a small incline into the hangar.

I have a Minimax tug which is simple and affordable. It is supposed to be good for 4000 lb. Works great for my AA-5, up a small incline into the hangar.
How fast does that move. How long to pull, say 50 feet.

I bought a MiniMax and am extremely happy with it. Customer service was top notch.

I think I’d prefer the sidewinder for my needs, although I haven’t tried any of them. I typically just use the force to move my plane into the hangar. Do, or do not.

The sidewinder is fantastic. It folds in half and can be tossed in my nose baggage.

Stupid high price, but it's really the best piece of kit I've seen. Used ones hold their value so well, it was a no brainer for me to buy new.

I always cringe when people roll out their 10 foot long lawnmower motor and steel contraption with 3 levers, jaws, cables, and chains to pull their plane out. It's not terribly confidence inspiring for some reason. :D

How fast does that move. How long to pull, say 50 feet.
In the lowest gear, it goes at a very slow walking pace. In the highest gear, you have to jog. The slow gear has the most torque. I usually back it into the hangar on the slowest setting to avoid doing anything stupid. I suspect you can probably move it in second gear pretty easily if not going up a big hill if you are in a hurry. I got snow chains for winter and they work pretty good. I didn't bother with the high-power drill. I just got the basic DeWalt and it works fine for 2000# up a small incline.

I always cringe when people roll out their 10 foot long lawnmower motor and steel contraption with 3 levers, jaws, cables, and chains to pull their plane out. It's not terribly confidence inspiring for some reason. :D

I thought that's why the wife comes along ... :D

I have a best tug alpha 3. I’ve had it for more than a year and a half. It’s great! I’ve used several other tugs and the best tug is definitely the “best”. The only issue I’ve had with was of my own doing. But it needs to be understood. If you let the batteries drain below around 40% the battery charger will not be able to recover. You will need to pull the batteries and charge them on a regular automotive style charger. I made this mistake once. Just something to keep in mind when using it. Don’t let the batteries get too low. That’s not an issue as long as you don’t leave it on and forget to plug it in for a week.

I thought that's why the wife comes along ... :D

This is the reason I have a alpha3. ^^^^
I had some surgery a few years ago, so asked my wife to come to the airport to help get the plane out and back in. It only took about 4 flights and she agreed we needed a tug! lol
AS far as the battery's in a alpha tug...
I got in the habit of always leaving the headlight on all the time. So that way it comes on with the power switch and is essentially a pilot light to help you know it is on. Can't miss it at night when your closing up the hangar for example. It uses hardly any power, so does not shorten battery life.

If the battery's get under 2 volts like if you left it on, they told me they need to be replaced.

I only charge mine about every 2-3 weeks and I use it 3-5 days a week. Thrilled with the whole thing.

This is the reason I have a alpha3. ^^^^
I had some surgery a few years ago, so asked my wife to come to the airport to help get the plane out and back in. It only took about 4 flights and she agreed we needed a tug! lol
AS far as the battery's in a alpha tug...
I got in the habit of always leaving the headlight on all the time. So that way it comes on with the power switch and is essentially a pilot light to help you know it is on. Can't miss it at night when your closing up the hangar for example. It uses hardly any power, so does not shorten battery life.

If the battery's get under 2 volts like if you left it on, they told me they need to be replaced.

I only charge mine about every 2-3 weeks and I use it 3-5 days a week. Thrilled with the whole thing.
What was the cost of the A3?

The sidewinder is fantastic. It folds in half and can be tossed in my nose baggage.

Stupid high price, but it's really the best piece of kit I've seen. Used ones hold their value so well, it was a no brainer for me to buy new.

Yeah, but 20 yrs ago, wasn’t much else out there.

I got one of these for the 310 after seeing my paraplegic friend use one with his 172. I will have to report back about winter operation later, but so far I love it. I can walk the wingtips or tail while maneuvering the plane in and out of the hangar. It will pay for itself in avoiding hangar rash.

It also saved an engine start already and will probably do so again. Our hangar is a couple hundred yards from the fuel pumps. I drove the tug over and then pulled the plane to the hangar, slightly uphill most of the way. No problem at all.

The Oshkosh special on these was free shipping or free lights added. I went with the lights, which so far have proved useful in driving the tug across the ramp at night.

I just bought one of these for my 182. While I have no doubt besttugs may be the best my problem was the cost and my mission was simple. I simply needed to go straight out or straight into my hangar (about 20 foot lead in) and then a slight turn onto the taxiway (or off when pushing back in) because of the airline service and rules at my airport pushing to the fuel pump is not an option so like I said it just needed to do the simple in and out task. I also needed something compatable with wheel pants and a lot of those sidewinder or drill type ones are not comparable with wheel pants

after much research I ordered an AeroTow T1 E200. It arrives tomorrow so I’ll let you know how it is. But talking to others who have it with a similar hangar set up to mine I’ve heard nothing but good reviews. And the cost is straight forward on their website with only a singular options and less expensive than others. It’s 1750 base or add a set of dolly wheels and it’s like $75 more. so far the customer service has been excellent and when talking with them was the kinda place you want to give your business

https://www.amigoaerotow.com/tugs/t1/

By business partner and I have had numerous tugs, both gas and electric. They all have strengths and shortcomings that should be considered prior to purchase.

That said, the Best Tugs B8 that we bought a while back has been the most versatile and well thought out tug we've used yet. I think it will even work for the helicopter, with a little modification. There are a couple of things I would have changed on the design but overall, it is very good.

My hangar neighbor bought a Bravo recently...8000 some bucks!! They just unloaded it.
394.JPG
Seems like complete overkill for a 185? You would need a lot of room between the tailwheel and the wall for the tug and handle. I think a Bravo would be perfect if you were using it with a towbar on the main gear.

I have an A3 and couldn’t be happier. It’s ideal for maneuvering taildraggers inside the hangar. Battery lasts a long time. Lots of torque.

46B30626-A667-4703-9288-08B54DD1DF3F.jpeg

I have a Minimax with the upgraded Milwaukee drill. I was looking for the cheapest option that would get the job done, and it works fine for my Cherokee 6. There is a slight incline pushing it back into the hanger with a small 1/2” lip. I watched the “review” above. I have no problem seeing the pins and the bracket when attaching it. It does have a little trouble getting traction when pulling the aircraft on the concrete hanger floor. Not that big of a deal. If it was I would use the traction tape they sell. I usually pull it out by hand, but the tug works with a little downward pressure. I mainly got it for the push slightly uphill into the hanger. There is enough of a slope I cannot push the 6 alone with full fuel. When pushing it has a lever action that creates downward pressure, and I have had no issues with traction. I can turn it as it is moving, but I do have to reposition it occasionally. I have had it for about six months and haven’t found any dealbreakers. Sure woulda been cool to have a remote control crawler to play with, but I would rather spend the money on 100LL. My $.02

I have an A3 and couldn’t be happier. It’s ideal for maneuvering taildraggers inside the hangar. Battery lasts a long time. Lots of torque.

View attachment 103917
Yeah I can see that being the right tool for the job. My hangar at the moment is just larger than the airplane, so about the only thing that would really work well is a remote control crawler type thing. With the A3 I will have to disconnect and push the plane the last 2-3 feet, which is no big deal, but it would be great to just be able to drag the plane fully into position using the tug, as the whole point of having a tug for me is to keep the plane from contacting the hangar, and the odds of that go up a lot when you are pushing it by hand the last few feet up to a wall.

Mark spots on the floor with colored duct tape. That makes it easy to roll on the centerline and stop without hitting the back wall.

I have an electric shop cart running 4 deep cycle marine batteries. Welded a 1-7/8 (it's what I had laying around) trailer hitch on the front. Cut a 10' piece of black pipe, sanded, painted, and cut the end off a towbar and welded those together. Bolted the female part of the hitch to the black pipe and the thing works awesome. Even on ice.

I have an electric shop cart running 4 deep cycle marine batteries. Welded a 1-7/8 (it's what I had laying around) trailer hitch on the front. Cut a 10' piece of black pipe, sanded, painted, and cut the end off a towbar and welded those together. Bolted the female part of the hitch to the black pipe and the thing works awesome. Even on ice.
Pictures please!

I dont know what an "electric shop cart" is, but I am curious. I think a Polaris 4 wheeler is a pretty good option if there is space for it.

Mark spots on the floor with colored duct tape. That makes it easy to roll on the centerline and stop without hitting the back wall.
Yeah. But there are only inches to the side walls back there. It the tailwheel flops to the side at all after you unhook the tug, it is into the wall before you know it. This happens for instance after you unhook and need to keep pushing backwards, and then when you pull it forward to attach the tug again. I guess I will just keep the wheel lock on after I get it lined up. Not ideal but it is all I have available right now. Keeping the tug on it is definitely preferred for the tight squeeze.

Back