Moab tour operators

Seth.A

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Seth.A
Im going to rather unexpectedly be in Moab for a couple days this week. Not enough time to sort out a rental but I would still like to see the area by air. Does anybody know anything about the various tour operators out there? Looking for suggestions.

Im going to rather unexpectedly be in Moab for a couple days this week. Not enough time to sort out a rental but I would still like to see the area by air. Does anybody know anything about the various tour operators out there? Looking for suggestions.
I can't help with tour operators but I have flow this whole region may times in my own plane. Also, rent a car and drive that road that leaves the north end of town and follows the Colorado river as it is spectacular from the ground also. Don't remember the road number but there is only one.

If touring from the ground (or the air, I've not done that out there) make time for Dead Horse Point State Park. Don't overlook it because it is 'just' a state park sandwiched between the wonders of Arches and CanyonLands National Parks. It's spectacular.

I’d call an FBO to ask about sightseeing flights. Sometimes instructors will give them in a 172 or whatever. Moab has an FBO.

Redtail Aviation. Go to Horseshoe canyon.

Last edited:
I’ll second Dead Horse. Absolutely stunning views there. The hike to delicate arch is relatively short but worth it also.

I’m not familiar with the services at the FBO other than getting avgas there. I would just give them a call.

Ended up getting on a flight with Redtail over canyonlands and Fisher Towers. Just me, my wife, and one other couple in an Airvan. I got to sit in the right seat and chat up the pilot. Pretty interesting job he has flying hikers and rafters into remote canyon strips in addition to the tour work.

I was only in town for about 36 hours and didn't get to Dead Horse. I'll go back when I can spend some more time to explore the area further. Redtail has a couple of 172s they can check you out in so I'll look into that next time. A truly amazing place to visit and an epic place to fly.

Here is a strip at the bottom of a canyon they regularly fly rafters into, around 9000' DA in the summer
airstrip.jpg

Couple more random pics, because otherwise it didn't happen ;)
canyon.jpg dome.jpg

First picture is Mineral Bottom, my second favorite strip in Utah. It would be my first if it didn't have a road into it. Utah has some excellent backcountry flying, there are dozens upon dozens of cool strips most are 1200' or longer. Its too hot there in the summer, but spring and fall are great.

Yea, it was perfect flying weather there last week. Clear, calm, 60 degrees, almost perfectly smooth air. Can't wait to go back.

Back