Any Garmin 480 savvy folks out there?

Gmonnig

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Grant
I have been using the 480 for years and feel pretty comfortable with it except for one, potentially dangerous scenario. On an RNAV approach that DOES NOT have T-fixes, the 480 always wants you to fly the hold. Regardless if you are perfectly lined up for a straight in. My work around has been to catch the 480 going into suspend mode (you only have a couple seconds to UNSUP I’d before it enters the hold), and then let it process to the next fix. The other work around is using Vectors to final or in the instance there is a T-fix, you can load the entire approach and then select the middle IAF. This deletes the hold entirely. Why on earth can you not go past the IAF without this box loading the hold? The hold is only required when turns of more than 90 degrees are required to turn inbound. Two of my friends have 480s too, and we all struggle with this.

I have no experience with the 480.

With all other GPS units I've used, you can manually delete the hold. Can you not do this with the 480?

I have noticed with the other Garmin GPS units, that they often no longer ask "Fly course reversal?" like they used to, instead you have to delete it each time if you don't want it. I don't know if this is a function of the software or the procedure coding.

Suspend is the quick PT removal or you can hit direct and select/fly the next leg. I have a few text format and video format Garmin 480 how to’s since I had to watch a few how to’s , to learn the legacy GPS myself. I was coming from a 430/530 stack with the flight stream 210. I really miss not having that FS 210 in play.

Suspend is the quick PT removal or you can hit direct and select/fly the next leg. I have a few text format and video format Garmin 480 how to’s since I had to watch a few how to’s , to learn the legacy GPS myself. I was coming from a 430/530 stack with the flight stream 210. I really miss not having that FS 210 in play.
So once the 480 has the approach loaded, you highlight the IAF and hit fly/next leg button?

I have no experience with the 480.

With all other GPS units I've used, you can manually delete the hold. Can you not do this with the 480?

I have noticed with the other Garmin GPS units, that they often no longer ask "Fly course reversal?" like they used to, instead you have to delete it each time if you don't want it. I don't know if this is a function of the software or the procedure coding.
The 480 is a whole different animal. I love it except for this one issue. You’d think you could select a simple straight in button, or delete the hold. Nope, you always have to do the hold.

Last edited:
Hi, I’ve got a 480 as well and have ran into this problem. I watched your video there and sure you have 30 seconds at 120kts… any faster and that time gets less and less. It’s not practical to have to risk missing the suspend button and have to either sequence to the next fix and fly an unstable approach or actual be forced to do the hold when ATC might have cleared you straight in. I also am curious of either a better workaround or finding the way to actual load a correct way to fly a straight in approach with the GNS 480.

You can select the next leg. It’s so
much easier to just hit the suspend. You have about thirty seconds to select suspend. Once you hit suspend it erases the PT, and you continue inbound.

[/QUO
I know the suspend trick but on my approach this last Monday, it never suspended and caused me to quickly hit the next leg segment. This does not arm the approach and you have no glide path until the FAF. There has to be some way to load a straight in and not have to stare at the 480 for a critical 20second window. It’s much simpler when there’s a T-fix. I was anticipating it to mess up, and it did. I’ll keep messing with it, thanks for the reply though! Always trying to learn

I would try posting the question on the garmin 480 mail board. I’ll play around with the sim tomorrow And see what I can figure out while going through the manual along with the Keith Thomason? 480 guide.

Gary, how did you do that in the 530?

I went through the "How to Use the GNS 480" by Keith Thomassen and his choice is the SUSP, he also mentioned VTF. I like the full approach mode, been bitten by VTF then handed off and given a direct to point on the approach.

Back