Watches In the Cockpit (photos)

That reference didn't come with a Oyster bracelet so looks like you sourced one aftermarket. The metal colors are a little different. Do you plan on getting an Oyster now they are available for the 126710s ?
Keen eye, but it's a P serial no. c.2000 ref. 16710N (noir aluminum bezel insert) with the stock Oyster bracelet. The pepsi "faux ceramic" bezel insert is aftermarket, and I can swap back to the original insert in less than five minutes. I prefer the cerachrom font as I find it more legible and aesthetically more attractive.

Keen eye, but it's a P serial no. c.2000 ref. 16710N (noir aluminum bezel insert) with the stock Oyster bracelet. The pepsi "faux ceramic" bezel insert is aftermarket, and I can swap back to the original insert in less than five minutes. I prefer the cerachrom font as I find it more legible and aesthetically more attractive.
It had me fooled. Nice watch! I had the black and blue GMT but I decided to sell it when I saw a lot of them out in the wild. I just recently bought my all rose GMT II and I don't think I'll see many of those come through the doors at the FBOs I tend to sit in.

Fun thread.

Expensive mechanical watches are not my “thing”, but I can almost see the appeal. Not as jewelry, but as fine and elegant mechanical devices, much as I appreciate old cameras, certain firearms, and the like - including antique cars, tractors, motorcycles and, yes, even planes. And historically fine watches can even be seen as investments. I inherited a 1950’s or 1960’s Breitling Moon Phase watch from my dad, which was so “him” and I cherished it until it got stolen. In a weird coincidence, I found a watch lying in the road on a bicycle ride not long after the breakin:

16547945582_92c8bfb5f8.jpg

Turns out it’s a counterfeit, but still nice looking.

Like others here, I went a decade or more finding a watch superfluous - with a smart phone you always know the time to the second. When the Apple Watch was introduced, I thought the technology was interstellar, but unnecessary for my use case. By the time the Series 3 came out, I was ready to give it a shot, and later moved to the Series 6 I now have. To be continued…

For practicality and bang for the buck, it’s hard to beat an Apple Watch.

I had to cheat for a cockpit photo - my Sky Arrow went out of annual a few days ago, but I sat in it for these photos.

51651385635_c41067a056_z.jpg

HalfFast said he didn’t like multiple button pushes to get info. But I have my main face set give lots of info at a glance:

51650526411_3d88245909_z.jpg

Here you have day and date, temperature with highs and lows, battery state, calendar events, UTC time, altitude and moon phase - barely visible because we’re at a new moon. Silly, but an homage to my dad’s old Breitling.

One button push away is a compass:

51649702342_67f101281a_z.jpg

Another is blood oxygen:

51651192974_95c8a5912a_z.jpg

Another for current and historical heart rate. If you have symptoms, you can also check your EKG for atrial fibrillation:

51651192994_abd230e80e_z.jpg

And get METARS:

51651385490_3cbfe38207_z.jpg

And a LOT more, customizable to your heart’s content. And in my 70’s, “fall detection” could conceivably be a life saver.

NOT fancy, nor even necessary. And not the only smart watch out there. But very practical and handy in practice.

My old GMT Master. The King of Watches. 1962 vintage, overhauled several times, went through a couple bezels over the course of decades. Worn in the cockpit of a UH-1 mostly. Don't own my Piper any more, nor the Aeronca. The GMT sits in a SD box.
upload_2021-11-2_19-12-59.jpeg

Plane is annual so no cockpit photo. Really, really liking this one. They dropped down to $350 last Xmas season :) Only watch i own or wear. Great for flying.

I'm just not a GMT fan. As a diver I prefer a actual dive computer over a Diver watch. Would love a chrono...maybe newer Hamilton. Of course a speed master or Rolex panda would be cool! A Grand Seiko spring drive or Omega Seamaster are style favorites.

21b29e1ed9ac3dafd56c61670300789e_900x.jpg

Wow, the Pepsi watch is pretty popular here!

I used to wear a Brietling Airwolf (Eagle Driver edition) in the cockpit and can only find this pic.
View attachment 101439

Then we got issued Garmin watches that will buzz if the cabin altitude gets too high so we all started wearing those.

View attachment 101440

Now I’m back to an old G shock most of the time. I don’t want my Brietling to get snatched off my wrist on a layover or beat up with back country flying. I must be getting old!

I will say on behalf of the group that the fact you’re in an F-15 makes up for any shortcomings in the watch photo…:D

Which model Apple Watch is that?

I had to cheat for a cockpit photo - my Sky Arrow went out of annual a few days ago, but I sat in it for these photos.

HalfFast said he didn’t like multiple button pushes to get info. But I have my main face set give lots of info at a glance:

Here you have day and date, temperature with highs and lows, battery state, calendar events, UTC time, altitude and moon phase - barely visible because we’re at a new moon. Silly, but an homage to my dad’s old Breitling.

Another is blood oxygen:

Another for current and historical heart rate. If you have symptoms, you can also check your EKG for atrial fibrillation:

And get METARS:

And a LOT more, customizable to your heart’s content. And in my 70’s, “fall detection” could conceivably be a life saver.

NOT fancy, nor even necessary. And not the only smart watch out there. But very practical and handy in practice.

This is my Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust, but no cockpit picture since I'm a poor airplane renter. Maybe I should sell the watch and buy and airplane.....:)
watch4.jpg

Another is blood oxygen:

And get METARS:

That’s what I wear now, since my Rolex and Omega are both retired. Even have the same band. It’s crazy how many things the Apple Watch will do.

This is my Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust, but no cockpit picture since I'm a poor airplane renter. Maybe I should sell the watch and buy and airplane.....:)
View attachment 101472
That's really interesting. I've never seen a Datejust like that with subdials, no date window, and a bracelet other than a Jubilee or Oyster. Do you know the reference number for that watch?

what the............

That's really interesting. I've never seen a Datejust like that with subdials, no date window, and a bracelet other than a Jubilee or Oyster. Do you know the reference number for that watch?

Are you guys claiming my Rolex isn't real? The guy who sold it to me in Shanghai said it was real, even though it was only $6. I assume it was just a good exchange rate.

I was a little suspicious when the battery died after a week :D

But yeah it's a fake and it's not even a good fake, but it was so cheap, it's funny. I'm too afraid to open it to see about the battery, I'm sure it will self destruct. The band is also huge so it doesn't even fit (and would probably turn my skin green or something if I ever wore it).

Are you guys claiming my Rolex isn't real? The guy who sold it to me in Shanghai said it was real, even though it was only $6. I assume it was just a good exchange rate.

I was a little suspicious when the battery died after a week :D

But yeah it's a fake and it's not even a good fake, but it was so cheap, it's funny. I'm too afraid to open it to see about the battery, I'm sure it will self destruct. The band is also huge so it doesn't even fit (and would probably turn my skin green or something if I ever wore it).

Stan was a H E L L of a lot nicer about it than I was lol

My old GMT Master. The King of Watches. 1962 vintage, overhauled several times, went through a couple bezels over the course of decades. Worn in the cockpit of a UH-1 mostly. Don't own my Piper any more, nor the Aeronca. The GMT sits in a SD box.
View attachment 101461
Amazing. You should be wearing that instead of keeping it at the bank.

ayv48s8h6oh51.jpg

We all know where that watch has been...

I don't wear ANY jewelry - it bothers me, and I end up taking it off and losing it. Lost two wedding rings that way - still have the wife. Good thing they came out with cell phones, or I would never know what time it is.

I think I actually have a watch somewhere in my flight bag - probably dead.

ayv48s8h6oh51.jpg

We all know where that watch has been...

I don't wear ANY jewelry - it bothers me, and I end up taking it off and losing it. Lost two wedding rings that way - still have the wife. Good thing they came out with cell phones, or I would never know what time it is.

I think I actually have a watch somewhere in my flight bag - probably dead.

So I guess we’ll need a photo of your watch-less wrist in the cockpit...

Bulova chronograph I usually wear flying.

Attachments

• 20200822_090957.jpg
    20200822_090957.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 20201122_194512.jpg
    20201122_194512.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 28
Heuer chrono I received when I got my Private back in the mid 80's. Sadly it needs refurbishing which cost more than the watch is worth...

Attachments

• IMAG0047.jpg
    IMAG0047.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 26
My parents presented this Seiko to me when I was 18 years old. I obtained my Commercial Certificate & CFI that year. The watch means a lot to me. I had it rebuilt a few years ago & now wear it on special occasions. The rest of the time wear my Apple watch which I love.
IMG_0964.JPG

You guys are going to get me shopping for the next one in the collection. I guess Christmas is coming up and I've been good this year...

Souvenir shop at Ephesus in Turkey:

I take comfort in the knowledge I'll never be mugged for my Timex with velcro strap. Even the shoplifters in San Francisco ignore those things.

As a diver I prefer a actual dive computer over a Diver watch.

I don't miss diver's watches at all! OK, maybe a little for the aesthetics, and there was a time when they were rare enough to be a conversation starter. But I don't miss that uncomfortable feeling at some point in a dive when you have to estimate how long you've been underwater because you forgot to set the d*mn bezel when you left the surface. Or you reach into a hole to grab a lobster and the bezel snags and rotates to some random setting and again you are left estimating how long you've been underwater so that you can get the decompression time right.

Hanhardt Admiral.

upload_2021-11-4_22-26-32.jpeg

Replica of a WWII vintage German watch. Modern movement (same as Rolex). I chose the Admiral model for its white face, which I thought was more legible in poor light than the black face aviator model which is the same watch but with a dark face.

-Skip

Back