Deleted

OU812

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
OU812
Nothing to see here. Thanks to all those that replied. I am moving on and apparently I am unable to delete this post.

Last edited:
Not exactly in your shoes, but somewhat understand what you are going through. this year has been tough for me, not flying much with personal stuff, moving across the country, long annual, wx, you name it. i still managed to fly some 35 hrs this year, but thats too low for me - I usually fly 100+ hours a year. the less I fly, the less confidence i have - its a vicious cycle. the only way out is to fly more, I know but its still frustrating.

I feel your frustration. I have a different story than yours but here goes. Injury 10-20 to right eye, no real chance to get vision back. flying since 1994, owner since 1996 about 1200 hours logged. Got medical back (Basic Med) last month, waiting to get check ride FR done.

If the OP feels like they are losing the desire to fly, why would they want to force themselves to fly more if it’s not something they want to do? I never understand this line of thinking. (Similar to “afraid to fly” student pilots.) And, ya know, I hope I never do understand it.

A lot of people don’t get to do whatever they want whenever they want. It’s just how it is. Buck up, lil flyer- you’ll get more flight time.

So I earned my certificate in 2004 at 40hrs and stopped flying in 2007 with about 80hrs due to kids, mortgage, life etc... Now that my kids are grown, I decided to take up flying again last year. After a 13yr absence I was a bit rusty. I completed AOPAs rusty pilot course, completed a flight review and flew a couples hours with an instructor. I wanted more time but the instructor said I was more than ready. I made some great strides and accomplished many personal goals such as a high performance rating (in a cessna182). Then covid happened and I didn't fly for months. I got about 14hrs last year. This year has not been good and weather has not helped either. I am exceedingly disappointed at only flying maybe 6hrs so far.
I am still a low time pilot with approximately 100hrs now and I am getting extremely frustrated with my lack of progress. Not flying for extended periods I feel I am not as safe as I should be and this has affected my confidence. Each time I fly with an instructor they say I am safe have no issues with my abilities. However, this frustration is getting to me and at times I feel like I'm losing the desire to fly. Perhaps I need to find someone to fly with to help reignite my passion and help with confidence. Anyone else been through this or have any ideas or suggestions?
As you know you need to fly more to help your confidence. How much did you learn in only 40 hours to get your PPL?
You are much better pilot than I am since it took me 95 hrs to get my PPL.
I didn't start to feel even a little comfortable till after 200 hrs. I waited until 200 to start my instrument training which I completed 3 years ago next month.
I now have 1000+ hrs and am starting to feel pretty comfortable.
I do have my own plane and try to fly 3-5 days a week. I have never gone more than 10 days in between flying since I got my PPL in 2016.

You need to fly more!

However, this frustration is getting to me and at times I feel like I'm losing the desire to fly. Perhaps I need to find someone to fly with to help reignite my passion and help with confidence. Anyone else been through this or have any ideas or suggestions?

I'd go hang out at your local airport, rent their planes and hook up with a instructor to fly with you. Got to be at a airport to fly...unless you own your own strip.
I got a friend who recently got his PPL and bought an archer. He has had several instructors come to our airport and fly with him when he first got his plane.
It took him some time to get his ticket as he a had detached retina to heal up from in the middle of his flight training.

Can't imagine why COVID would keep anyone from flying solo. I flew plenty, though most of it was just landings at local airports. I did a couple longer flights, both were tortoise rescues.
Me too, for a while last year we only worked half days. Guess where I spent my afternoons? At the airport flying!!

Me too, for a while last year we only worked half days. Guess where I spent my afternoons? At the airport flying!!
I work with DFW TRACON fairly closely and they said that while airline flying was way down, they could see plenty of traffic at all the outlying fields. Lots of people spent a lot more time flying than usual!

So I earned my certificate in 2004 at 40hrs and stopped flying in 2007 with about 80hrs due to kids, mortgage, life etc... Now that my kids are grown, I decided to take up flying again last year. After a 13yr absence I was a bit rusty. I completed AOPAs rusty pilot course, completed a flight review and flew a couples hours with an instructor. I wanted more time but the instructor said I was more than ready. I made some great strides and accomplished many personal goals such as a high performance rating (in a cessna182). Then covid happened and I didn't fly for months. I got about 14hrs last year. This year has not been good and weather has not helped either. I am exceedingly disappointed at only flying maybe 6hrs so far.
I am still a low time pilot with approximately 100hrs now and I am getting extremely frustrated with my lack of progress. Not flying for extended periods I feel I am not as safe as I should be and this has affected my confidence. Each time I fly with an instructor they say I am safe have no issues with my abilities. However, this frustration is getting to me and at times I feel like I'm losing the desire to fly. Perhaps I need to find someone to fly with to help reignite my passion and help with confidence. Anyone else been through this or have any ideas or suggestions?
I went through the mirror image of this. I was the guy who went flying with someone in your shoes. He lacked confidence. A CFI had told him he's ok, but he was still reluctant. I went on about 3-4 flights with him, all cross countries. I didn't try to instruct, just got some free rides. After that he felt better and started taking friends and family up. I met him right here like this. He posted much like you did, looking for someone to fly with. We flew out of the same airport. Where are you? There may be someone here willing to do the same.

Become a flight instructor.

Change your attitude...get some aerobatic time:)

I work with DFW TRACON fairly closely and they said that while airline flying was way down, they could see plenty of traffic at all the outlying fields. Lots of people spent a lot more time flying than usual!

Covid is/was a very bad thing.

But I sure liked how the air space was less busy and the streets were open, very little traffic. Sometimes coming home from the airport I would see 4-5 vehicles when a hundred was the norm. Strange time we lived through.

I know how you feel. I didn't fly much during Covid because there wasn't much to fly to, and my crew is not much into "flying for the fun of it." Where are you located, perhaps you could find another pilot to share some time with.

That was my experience in the SAT area as well.

A couple thoughts. If you hang out on these "boards" long enough you will be told you need to fly several days a week several hours a day to be competent. To which I say nonsense (although it depends on the person to some extent). I live in the north there have been months when I haven't flown just due to weather. I didn't feel any less confident. I am no Bob Hoover but frankly despite what you might hear here and other places, and I will let you in on a little secret, flying isn't really that hard. Flying good or great isn't always easy but being able to take a trainer style airplane off and bring it back to the ground safely isn't rocket science. Back in the day most pilots were soloing in less than 10 hours. Heck pilots were flying in combat with not a ton more hours than that.

I did the 20 year+ lay off got back in the saddle 8 years ago it took about 7 or so hours to get signed off and so glad I did. Personally I didn't fly any less due to Covid I actually flew more.

Can't imagine why COVID would keep anyone from flying solo. I flew plenty, though most of it was just landings at local airports. I did a couple longer flights, both were tortoise rescues.
Actually, I remember a lot of people flying during the worse of COVID to their favorite BRAVO, like ATL, etc. to put on their bucket list.

I am no Bob Hoover but frankly despite what you might hear here and other places, and I will let you in on a little secret, flying isn't really that hard.

Paul B says the same thing in his latest video ... but he notes how quickly a distraction could kill you! Enjoy ...

Do you have any friends at the airport? How active is your airport? Or is most of your flying spent by yourself. Sometimes the motivation just comes from the social aspect of it. Our airport is a community of like minded pilots. They spend as much time hanging out in their hangars around their airplanes as they do actually flying. They find adventures to fly to, or take turns riding in each others planes. Helps put the fun back into it.

Gotta want it, if you don't, then it won't happen. Sounds like you don't really want it. Lot's of excuses.

I suggest you schedule a plane, and an instructor if you need it, tell the instructor that you are feeling insecure and looking for back up for a few flights, go places with him, don't just do pattern stuff, go somewhere. Do it a few times, your confidence will increase.

Or, give up, it's up to you.

I understand the OP....I don't enjoy punching holes in the sky. Last year two informal flying groups I belong to didn't do much because of COVID and many of the places we fly were closed. Hence it was solo or not at all. Add on a full-time job (altho teleconf), and I didn't do much flying. This year, much the same altho more airport restaurants are open, but still not flying as much as I expected.

I'm going to dissent a bit from the group. If you have a little voice inside that says you don't feel safe, I'd listen to it. 100 hours over a long period of time isn't a lot. An instructor can tell you that you are performing all of the things right. But they can't tell what's in your head.

I don't know how to sort out the next step. If there's something specific that's bothering you - crosswind landings, speeds in the pattern, specific procedures, radio work, whatever - get a CFI, explain that, and work on it. If it's general, figure out if you feel safe doing pattern work, or relatively local cross country. Build your hours and confidence. Or if you're not sure, maybe go after something else. Instrument rating?

But don't fly if you feel like you should but don't want to.

Last edited:

First, challenge yourself get yourself up to the flying standards you expect of yourself. You are about due for a flight review, tell the CFI you are going to work with that you want to be to full Private ACS standards on every task before he signs you off. If you aren’t proficient with real short and soft field operations, this would be a great time. Your X wind skills probably are not up to par, work on those with the CFI so you are reasonably comfortable with a 15 knot X wind. Every private pilot needs more emergency procedures training.

Consider joining a flying club, learning more, going to FAAST team seminars, adding an IR or Commercial Certificate or finding a flying buddy.

Decide what part of GA you want to do. For some it’s social, others like XC flying, some like the challenge of self improvement, Acrobatics, formation, ect. There is more than just boring holes in the sky.

Stop whining and start flying or alternatively start doing something other than flying and yes, stop whining ….whatever works for you , it is frankly that simple.

@OU812

Two things...

1. Purposely plan a cross country. List friends, places or events about 2hrs away. Pick one and go. In other words, have a purpose that is both fun and somewhat challenging. If possible make it an overnight. That brings in a FBO, crew car or rental car or shuttle and a hotel. You will learn like 14 new things to you.

2. As you closed with your post, find a friend, either a pilot or a willing passenger. Take them on #1. Even if they aren't a pilot they can help.

...then hang it up if you aren't into it.

Wow, and people think I am Mr. negative

Well, I disagree . It was intended as fully positive and encouraging message.

Lets go OU812 !!!

Yo, @OU812, come back to the thread and give some feedback to the responses. Tell us how you do.

We are a friendly bunch, mostly.

Wow, and people think I am Mr. negative

I guess I'll be MR. Negative ... but if he feels he's losing his desire to fly & needs to reignite his passion then maybe it's time to toss in the towel and go fishing.

Most pilots I know had, if not a burning desire to learn to fly, had at least some self motivation for pursuing the dream they had of flight. If the motivation to want to learn to fly isn't within someone ... perhaps it's not there. Time for some serious self examination.

I'd love to see more people have a passion for the wonder of flight as it still amazes me. But like everything a person does, it has to be something they desire to do or it will fail.

To improve confidence and reduce ‘frustration with lack of progress’, getting back into a training environment may help. As others suggest, consider a new goal: instrument rating.

Where are you located, what airport? Maybe befriend someone there.

Even if CFI says you are fine, hire one anyway until you are confident!

I added a few hours of dual after my high performance endorsement to improve my confidence.

Flying requires a level of confidence. If I haven’t flown for a month I’ll take a cfi up with me. There’s nothing wrong with that. In fact I’m maybe an outlier but I’ll fly with a cfi more often than not. My work and financial circumstances limit my flying time. When I do fly without a cfi typically my wife will be along so I want to make sure I’m as safe as possible.

However, even if I haven’t flown for a month or longer my skills are still solid. It’s just the confidence factor. So fly often. Fly safely. Fly with a cfi as often as you like.

Well, these replies and suggestions are all over the place some more helpful than others. I appreciate everyone's opinions. I really debated posting anything because I didn't want to be seen as a Mr. Whiney pants. But to some I guess I did and that's ok. I see myself in responses from PaulS and others who are matter of fact do it or shut up.

I think many read too much into my comment about losing my passion. It has always been my passion to fly. After getting my certificate in 2004 and having to be "responsible" and hang it up for all those years was not fun. Frankly life happens as we all know and it just wasn't in the picture. Now the kids are grown and out of the house, it's my time again. I want to pick up where I left off and go places. My frustration comes from the slow progress I am making which some have eluded to. I guess I was asking for helpful strategies from others who may have been in a similar situation. Thank you to those who did offer some.

Ok, so it sounds like you want to fly, good.

Seriously consider my and others suggestion to fly some more with an instructor.

I stopped flying many years ago due to having kids and needing money for them, so I stopped at about 150 hours. But I was like you, not fully comfortable flying, most of my flying was in 1 hour spurts, keeping proficient on landing, and travelling to only a couple different airports. I wasn't comfortable flying to new airports when I stopped.

About 25 years later, I jumped back in, I was very rusty. I had a good instructor, an older guy, about my age, he asked me what I wanted to accomplish. I told him my story, said I wanted a flight review, and that when I was done, I wanted to be comfortable landing at airports I've never been to. Oh, and I told him that I wasn't going to nickel and dime him on his time, just to be fair. He was, we flew together for many flights. He told me I was ready well before I felt ready, but in reality it only took a couple more flights and I was off. I've since gotten my instrument rating, my longest trip now is from Massachusetts to the Keys.

There is no secret to it, other than to persist, fly often, you should be flying at least twice a week with your instructor to get through this, and relax. Oh, this took me a while to figure out, I finally got it in my instrument training. Strive for perfection, but understand that being safe is the standard you need to meet, not perfection. There is always something that you can improve upon, fix it and move on. Once I got that, things became much easier.

I really debated posting anything because I didn't want to be seen as a Mr. Whiney pants.

I see myself in responses from PaulS and others who are matter of fact do it or shut up.

I guess I was asking for helpful strategies from others who may have been in a similar situation. Thank you to those who did offer some.

You be Mr. Whiney (Whiny) pants and I'll be Mr. Negative. :D

My point was taken from you stating, "Not flying for extended periods I feel I am not as safe as I should be and this has affected my confidence." There is your answer.

You gave a lot of reasons (excuses) for not flying and that is where the passion (or lack of) comes in. I was taught to either do your business or get off the pot (as they say).

Not trying to be negative (really) but you just have to make a serious assessment of where you are in this process. Look into yourself and be honest. If you want to fly ... you will.

I really hope you want to do this and that you discover the thrill and beauty of flight. Again, no one here can give you the drive to accomplish this. It must be within you. I'm positive about that!

Seems like flying with your children and family would have been a great thing to do with them.

Like said if you really want to fly then you just make time to do it.

Good luck to you.

Back