172 iPad Mini yoke mount

Charles Littlefield

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Charles
Hey all...I purchased a yoke mount and when I went to install it, the iPad covered up some of the gauges. What are y'all using to yoke mount you iPad minis?

Welcome to PoA!

Not supplied into evidence is what iPad are you using. Mini? Pro? Air?

RAM Mounts... using the medium and short arm to come from underneath.

www.ipadyokemounts.com. Never had an issue with the iPad mini obscuring the instruments

Hey all...I purchased a yoke mount and when I went to install it, the iPad covered up some of the gauges. What are y'all using to yoke mount you iPad minis?
Welcome...
I used to have mine on the yoke with ram mounts. I don't like looking down to see my ipad and if it is attached to the yoke it is always moving. When I started IFR training I had to have my approach plate more visible and more stable.
So mounted mine like this, works much better here for me.
IMG_0310.JPG

It is in my face, does not move and I don't have to look down.
IMG_9771.JPG

Notice anything in this picture besides the seat missing?
IMG_9635.JPG

Last edited:
This is what mine looked like when it was on the yoke.
013_9.jpg

I could see everything good except the ipad especially in turbulence.
007_13.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't really care for my plates mounted on the yoke for that reason. I also found various yoke mounted clip boards would tend to block the view of the panel and switches. I never flew with a tablet mounted on the yoke, but I played around with kneeboard type mounts/leg straps. As a renter switching planes that worked better for me. If I had my own plane I'd definitely be exploring pillar mount locations like that.

and regarding noticing anything in the second picture.... I guess I'm failing the test this morning. The only thing jumping at me is all the wires flopping around. I'd have the need to find a way to tuck them in someplace

I didn't really care for my plates mounted on the yoke for that reason. I also found various yoke mounted clip boards would tend to block the view of the panel and switches. I never flew with a tablet mounted on the yoke, but I played around with kneeboard type mounts/leg straps. As a renter switching planes that worked better for me. If I had my own plane I'd definitely be exploring pillar mount locations like that.

and regarding noticing anything in the second picture.... I guess I'm failing the test this morning. The only thing jumping at me is all the wires flopping around. I'd have the need to find a way to tuck them in someplace

Yup it was a sloppy cockpit with all the wires. I did clean that up.
I had the pilots seat out for upholstery and installed the co pilots seat on the left side so I could keep flying the plane while the seat got restored.
IMG_9664.JPG

IMG_9617.JPG

Last edited:
how much of that upholstery work can be done by an owner that's not and Airframe Mechanic? Something I've wondered about since doing some upholstery work in my motorhome and discovering that it's not all that hard to do a sort of passable job.

how much of that upholstery work can be done by an owner that's not and Airframe Mechanic? Something I've wondered about since doing some upholstery work in my motorhome and discovering that it's not all that hard to do a sort of passable job.

None that I am aware of. My AP/IA over sees all my work. He lives 5 minutes from the airport and helps me do it.

Last edited:
Funny the same thing happened to me yesterday with my mount. It did come with a larger spacer but I didn't feel like messing with it at the time. I ended up using my sporty's knee board and placed the ipad on the knee board. Next time I will try it with the larger spacer and underneath the yoke. Will update here when I try it. Here's the one that I bought. I am really paranoid about it dropping on the floor but i'm just paranoid in general since i'm working on my PPL/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V6S557M?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Found a picture of when I was renting 172s and had my I pad on the yoke. In this case who cares if the i pad is hard to see, everything you need is in the panel!!
IMG_8997.jpg

I originally used a iPad 9.7" pro on the yoke. It didn't block the flight instruments, but I had to look around it to see the tachometer. After putting a GPS in the panel, I switched to an iPad mini mounted on the left side of the windshield. In the past few months, I added an extension that moved the iPad farther down behind the yoke. This makes it easier to see.
2018-12-12 11.41.49.jpg 2020-05-26 20.19.47.jpg 2021-10-12 21.25.27.jpg

This mount works well for me right-side up on a 172M. My biggest qualm with running it upside down is that you can't plug in your iPad due to the plug being covered. This is an iPad Air 2 with a Ram mount.

Attachments

• What a View.jpg
    What a View.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 15
Back