Rent a plane on Maui or Big Island?

Winger67

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Larry
Going with friends to Maui in October but also considering adding the Big Island to the trip since I find volcanos fascinating. I'm not checked out in a 172 so a CFI/guide is a must. I'm leaning towards the Big Island but which island would be more interesting to circumnavigate?

When I vacationed in Maui I went to Kahului airport and rented, with a CFII, from Maui Aviation.

The CFII was a great tour Gide and could pronounce all the reporting pointS, I would have butchered them o_O

Here is a link to the flight I took with my bride.
https://gmflightlog.blogspot.com/2016/09/hawaii-vacation.html?m=1

View attachment 99740
I did the same with a Cirrus and CFI and had a great experience. Maui is really cool and suitable for the air circumnavigation tour, at least in my opinion.

@SixPapaCharlie did a vacation flight in Hawaii recently. He made a video of his flight and it seemed he really enjoyed it and the FBO he rented from

I also used Maui Aviators a month ago. I went on a similar path as above except that I went all the way around Maui (not just the east half) and I went clockwise.

Takeoff PHOG, right turn all the way around the east side to Hana, along the south side to Lahaina, over along the north shore of Lanai, up to Molokai, touch-and-go on Molokai (to say I've been there), back along the north shore of Molokai to land at PHOG. CFI handled the radios and some tour guide duties and I handled (most) flying and my daughter in the back was in charge of photos.

Wow! Thanks everyone. Looks like I can't go wrong with Maui Aviators. I'll check them out.

+1 for Maui Aviation. As others have said, there’s no point in getting checked out - their instructors are great tour guides.

+2 for Maui Aviation, except I made mine a flight review. We started counter clockwise as described above, then landed at Lanai and changed seats with my son. Then continued CCW over east end of Maui (including over Lindberg’s grave).

4 suggestions: 1. Take your own headset if able, because they charge a headset rental. 2. Be prepared when they use the restaurant style credit card receipt so you can add a tip…. 3. Visit Lindberg’s grave. Take apples or carrots for the horse next door. 4. Read James Michener’s Hawaii (nothing to do with aviation, but enriches the whole trip).

I have flown twice with Laurence of Maui Flight Academy. My wife and I had a blast.

I flew with Maui Aviators twice many years ago. I got checked out by a CFI, then flew solo the first time to Molokai, and with my wife the second to the Big Island. If you are not comfortable flying over water, flying in the islands may not be for you.

Pay attention to the prevailing winds. Stay away from or approach the leeward side carefully. From personal experience, clear air turbulence on the islands' leeward side can be truly brutal.

Standard practice in the islands seems to be pretty low altitude flights. If you venture to the leeward sides, altitude is your friend.

Had a great flight with Maui Aviators! Similar to Gary's map but we went all the way around Haleakala. I took off left seat from PHOG but we landed at Hana so I could get the better view from the right seat. Very expensive but the scenery was amazing.

Did the 172 out of Maui... which was Great. Want better... get some instruction in ultralight in Hana... Google Hana Hang Glide Maui. That was epic. Bring your logbook.

I was short time this trip but when the CFI talked about what they do out of Hana I put it on my list for next time. That sounds awesome!

Tropic Bird flight service at Kona on the big island was awesome. One of the coolest flights I have ever done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

About 15 years ago, I rented a Cessna 205 out of Kona to carry our 4 member family plus CFI. Really, it was probably cheaper to get a tour rather than retain the idea of getting the flight instruction as well, and I also really wanted to sight see, especially the volcano. The leeward side of volcano was impressive for downdrafts and turbulence maneuvering for final back into Kona.

Does anyone have any recommendations for Oahu CFI/guide? We are planning a trip this fall and I would like to take the family on a flight while there.

Tropic Bird at Kona does scenic flights and instruction. I have gotten several more-than-the-usual BFRs at Tropic Bird.

Does anyone have any recommendations for Oahu CFI/guide? We are planning a trip this fall and I would like to take the family on a flight while there.
Years ago I used George’s aviation out of HNL. I found the CFI a great tour guide plus could properly pronounce all the names. Lol

Thanks, I will check them out. pronouncing the names properly is a talent for sure.

Back