Jet pack sighting mystery solved?

Funny that "balloons" aren't "escaping" anywhere but LA, isn't it? Think that might have anything to do with the proximity of LA airspace to Edwards AFB?

^^^^Like a badge of honor to be such a high value target:heli:

That’s kind of insulting, honestly. Can you imagine the ridicule a copilot would get for just making that up?

Friend of mine was transporting a VHF communications antenna on top of his truck. About 12' long, white fiberglass, maybe 3" in diameter with 45 degree angle wires at one end. Someone called the state police and reported a person transporting a "missile". He knows this because the NY State Police pulled him over on I-87 to ask him what it was. He gave them the boring explanation, rather than having fun with it, and it was no problem. This was years ago.

They need to change the slogan from "See something, say something." to "See something, say something. We're keeping a list of idiots."

Friend of mine was transporting a VHF communications antenna on top of his truck. About 12' long, white fiberglass, maybe 3" in diameter with 45 degree angle wires at one end. Someone called the state police and reported a person transporting a "missile". He knows this because the NY State Police pulled him over on I-87 to ask him what it was. He gave them the boring explanation, rather than having fun with it, and it was no problem. This was years ago.

They need to change the slogan from "See something, say something." to "See something, say something. We're keeping a list of idiots."
Yeah, but professional pilots - while certainly capable of stupidity - are also invested in the safety of their aircraft, and are frequently called upon to identify various types of aircraft based on their visual characteristics. I'd HOPE that a professional crew would be less speculative than your average driver.

NYS. Never again. Lived there from mid to late 80’s and later 90’s for Navy training. Never again. I’ll stay out west tyvm.

That is funny....cant count how many times I have seen something glinting in the sun at altitude and think to myself, holy $#!% that plane is coming right at me only to pass by a dang aluminum foil balloon

Back