And the Garmin 430W Rides Off Into the Sunset

A1Topgun

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Ron
After reading a post last week about a Garmin 430W to Avidyne IDF 440 upgrade I was very interested in learning more. Then I spent all week researching all I could find on the Avidyne IDF 440. I downloaded the iPad sim and went through the online tutorials.

It appears that there lot of happy pilots on POA that did the upgrade and never looked back, only positive remarks. And after a few Youtube videos from Martin Pauly, it became a “No Brainer”. (Thanks Martin)

I was sold.

Today I pulled the trigger and ordered a Avidyne IDF 440. Hope to have it by next week.

Last edited:
Ah, yes, the book referenced in the Avidyne tutorials.
Install looks relatively easy. Verify Vcc, Gnd, and CB. Slide in Avidyne. I might have to run an audio wire. The shop I use will let me work "under supervision" if I need to do anything more then the slide out - slide in scenario.

You won't regret it. I went from a 530W to an IFD 540. HUGE upgrade. Night and day better.

If you don't get one with the IFD, buy this book: https://www.amazon.com/Flying-Avidy...&keywords=bauer+avidyne&qid=1634404833&sr=8-2

It is a great tool to get you up and running quickly. If you use the book and the IFD trainer before you get in the plane, you'll find things much more familiar and intuitive. And speaking of "intuitive," the IFD is much more intuitive than the Garmin GNS series.

After reading a post last week about a Garmin 430W to Avidyne IDF 440 upgrade I was very interested in learning more. Then I spent all week researching all I could find on the Avidyne IDF 440. I downloaded the iPad sim and went through the online tutorials.

It appears that there lot of happy pilots on POA that did the upgrade and never looked back, only positive remarks. And after a few Youtube videos from Martin Pauly, it became a “No Brainer”. (Thanks Martin)

I was sold.

Today I pulled the trigger and ordered a Avidyne IDF 440. Hope to have it by next week.
So I take it ya don't think yer gonna get homesick for the ol' click, click.....click, enter, repeat x number of times boogie?

So I take it ya don't think yer gonna get homesick for the ol' click, click.....click, enter, repeat x number of times boogie?

I attended an Avidyne webinar. Tom Harper, the presenter, inputted a flight plan that took about 60 button pushes, knob twists, etc. He said that the same flight plan on a GNS took something like 300 inputs.

Who charges $4,000 to slide it in, setup and do a 337. I do that free if you buy he unit from me.

I think he meant vs the Garmin series?

Since you’re here, question: Is the main difference behind the panel between the G430/I440 and G530/I540 just the tray size? In other words, could a 430 tray be swapped out for a 530/540 tray without much wiring (swapping harness from one to the other)? I partially installed my 540 from scratch and built the harness (no easy slide in), with supervision, but can’t remember what the backside looked like.

I went from the 530 to the 540. I have ZERO regrets.

what are you doing with the old one?
I will sell the GNS430W. Don't know exactly the who and where. The office person at my maintenance shop said he might be interested. I may pay to yellow tag it and then put it up on eBay.

Looking all over the Avidyne site and web searches for the answer to a simple question.

When I receive the IDF440 and open the box, what comes in the box?

The 540 is terrific, and Avidyne support is good too. If I have one comment, it's that configuration settings to get it playing happily with Garmin and Stec stuff can sometimes be an Easter-egg hunt.

A simple question for the brain trust here at POA.
The Avidyne IFD4 440 has arrived and I talked to the shop about the install. The IDF440 has an aural output so I need to run a wire to the KMA24 unswitched T input.
However, after reading Paul Millner’s post on his gear up landing I decided to install an Aircraft Components Voice Alert because I can’t recall hearing the stall warning and gear horn since I started to use the Light Speed headset .
The Voice Alert also requires the unswitched T input on the KMA24.
So, now I have a question. If running two separate inputs to the KMA24 unswitched T, do the wires just splice together? Is a resistor and / or diode needed on the lines? The KMA24 install manual has no comment on multiple inputs. Neither do the install instructions for the IFD440 or Voice Alert.

I think he meant vs the Garmin series?

Since you’re here, question: Is the main difference behind the panel between the G430/I440 and G530/I540 just the tray size? In other words, could a 430 tray be swapped out for a 530/540 tray without much wiring (swapping harness from one to the other)? I partially installed my 540 from scratch and built the harness (no easy slide in), with supervision, but can’t remember what the backside looked like.
Sorry for the delay in replying. He only difference is the tray size and backplate. You can unscrew the connectors from the back of the 430 tray and screw them right into the back of the 540 or 550 tray. As long as you have the extra 2” of height, then you’re good to go.

as for the added wires in other posts, you don’t need them, but they can be handy. I have only ever heard the “500” call outs that I remember. The nicest thing to add is the standby frequency monitor wiring. It acts as a completely separate receiver, not like other standby frequency monitor com functions, which mutes the standby frequency when the primary receives.

Back