Until Blanton's comes back, may I suggest...

Timbeck2

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Timbeck2
Woodford Reserve Double Oaked bourbon. Wife got it for my birthday and I'm impressed. I've read that Blanton's, which is one of my favorites, isn't going to be released until next summer. Bottles of it can still be had for around $200 but that's just ridiculous and around a 400% markup from the "normal" price.

I never got the hype over Blantons. To me it was seemed pretty average as far as bourbons go. But I haven’t had it in a few years. It was one of my earlier forays into the world of bourbon, so maybe my opinion would change if I had it more recently.

The Woodford you mention is pretty good.

My current favorite is Noah’s Mill.

I never got the hype over Blantons. To me it was seemed pretty average as far as bourbons go. But I haven’t had it in a few years. It was one of my earlier forays into the world of bourbon, so maybe my opinion would change if I had it more recently.

The Woodford you mention is pretty good.

My current favorite is Noah’s Mill.

What does Noah's Mill compare to? The "hype" over Blanton's was when all the tv show's had people drinking it and suddenly the price started climbing. I used to buy it for under $50 a bottle but I wonder what it will go for when it comes back. I've got the entire horse race and then some, all at under $50 a bottle and some of those under $40.

Nothing whatsoever wrong with Woodford’s. I seem to be off booze for the most part these days. Trying to decrease the rate of my increase.

Woodford Reserve Double Oaked bourbon.

That is tasty! A bartender at a wedding talked me into a single on the rocks, after I tried to order something else. Once served, he told me it wasn't one of the 'open bar' brands. $18. :eek:

My favorite sipping bourbon is Basil Haydens. Smooth.. not to hot / spicy readily available (for now). Really good old fashioned maker. Doesn't get raving reviews from the bourbon "experts" but I don't care - it's good.

I'll have to give it a try. I must have unrefined taste in bourbon. I like Maker's just fine, Maker's 46 better, and I've got half a bottle of Willett pot still reserve that I'm going to give my son because I just don't like it.

That is tasty! A bartender at a wedding talked me into a single on the rocks, after I tried to order something else. Once served, he told me it wasn't one of the 'open bar' brands. $18. :eek:

$18, for one drink? The whole bottle is around $54.

I must have unrefined taste in bourbon. I like Maker's just fine, Maker's 46 better,

I'd say you have pretty good taste. My "every day" bourbon is Maker's, Woodford or Knob Creek, meaning that's what I make Manhattans out of. If I want to sip it neat, then I go for Blantons or now, the double oaked Woodford. I have two bottles of Pappy 12 that I haven't opened yet. If the price keeps going up, I'll sell them for a new exhaust for my airplane.:)

Bourbon? It is all glorified Jim Beam. Go Scotch or go home.

Oh I "go" Scotch alright. I've been to just about all the Speyside distilleries in Scotland and I have my favorites. But this thread is about bourbon.

I don't like bourbon to begin with. I'll drink Blanton's, but prefer pretty much any other decent form of hard alcohol. We bought a case so we could give bottles to Vietnamese government officials. I guess it was a big thing to them.

Woodford's is OK. Basil Hayden is IMHO better.

But my strong preference is for single malt scotch.

14404639850526.png$18 a glass? You can have this baby for $18 a bottle.

Sorry to disagree, but it's whisky in Scotland, not "whiskey".

I didn't say spell it, I said say it. Here in (looks around) 'merica we spell it with the e. I'm an American, therefore I spelled it with an e. The Scots leave out the e by law. The Canadians leave out the e because...I dunno, they're Canadians. It is still pronounced the same regardless of the spelling.

Last edited:
If he is the only one that likes it, he must buy a lot of it.

It really doesn't qualify as a bourbon, more of a whisk(e)y blended with other liqueurs. If you know the story behind it and it's meaning among American fighter pilots, it is my hope that nobody ever has to buy a lot of it.

I am not a professional drinker like a lot of folks on here.

Just give me a glass of box wine and I am good.!!

I'd say you have pretty good taste. My "every day" bourbon is Maker's, Woodford or Knob Creek, meaning that's what I make Manhattans out of.
Maker's and Knob Creek make fine Manhattans; I've been playing with different vermouths to try to find juuuuust the right mix. I'm partial to Noilly Prat and Dolin, but there are others I like.
I am not a professional drinker like a lot of folks on here.

Just give me a glass of box wine and I am good.!!
Pro tip: If you buy wine in a box, you may well be a professional drinker. Or well on your way to becoming one. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Oh I "go" Scotch alright. I've been to just about all the Speyside distilleries in Scotland and I have my favorites. But this thread is about bourbon.
I'm partial to Islay, if only because so few will drink up your good Scotch when it's got that wonderful aroma. :D

My favorite sipping bourbon is Basil Haydens. Smooth.. not to hot / spicy readily available (for now). Really good old fashioned maker. Doesn't get raving reviews from the bourbon "experts" but I don't care - it's good.

BH is one of my favorites. Very pleasant sipping whiskey and because it’s lower proof, I can drink more without getting drunk. Always a plus.

I'm partial to Islay, if only because so few will drink up your good Scotch when it's got that wonderful aroma. :D

which is your go to? I’m partial to the Lagavulin 11 year.

I’ll never be a fan of peaty scotch. To each their own and it would suck if we all liked the same scotch. I like Balvenie Caribbean Cask, Dalwhinnie, Jura, and Abelour

which is your go to? I’m partial to the Lagavulin 11 year.
Lagavulin. Laphroaig as a backup. I’d love to have some old enough to drink itself, but I don’t spend that kind of money on booze.

I was gifted a bottle of Blanton's at my retirement ceremony. I really was not a fan. It made a mean bourbon BBQ sauce and some really tasty Bourbon Peach Jam though. Basil Hayden's is my favorite. Buffalo Trace is my go-to bottom shelf.

31 replies and no mention of Angel's Envy? :rolleyes2:

31 replies and no mention of Angel's Envy? :rolleyes2:

Interesting you should mention that.... Of all the bourbons I've tried, was not impressed by Angel's Envy. Seemed a bit watered down and a bit harsh, with an odd aftertaste. Woodford's is my main go-to, but there are so many others that are enjoyable!

Back