Sewage hits the fan and other strange accidents

A Martin

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
A Martin

Came across some unusual and "strange" aviation accidents ....

In 1985 an American Airlines B-727 made an emergency landing because the number 3 engine separated from the aircraft

A damaged 0-ring in the forward lavatory had allowed sewage to leak , which froze on the exterior of the fuselage ,

When the ice broke off , it hit the turbine blades causing the engine to disintegrate and fall off.

In other words .... the Shhitt hit the fan !!!

2010 .... Bandundu, Congo

A passenger brought aboard a crocodile hidden in a sports bag. The crocodile escaped, causing a panic among passengers who all rushed to one end of the plane. This caused an imbalance in the aircraft which led to loss of control and a crash.

1963 Swissair

Patches of fog on the runway so the pilot applied power while riding the brakes and slowly taxied down the runway

The jet blast cleared the fog from the runway and the plane was able to take off

However , the brakes were overheated and when the landing gear was raised it started a fire which caused the crash

On May 20, 1991 near Rock Hill, South Carolina, a pilot in a Hughes 269 helicopter was flying an aerial observation flight.

He turned on the cockpit heat. A copperhead snake emerged from the vent near his feet. As the pilot maneuvered towards a landing area, the snake appeared poised to strike.

The pilot tried to step on the snake with his foot and subsequently lost control of the helicopter. The helicopter hit some trees and was destroyed, and the pilot was seriously injured. The snake was not found after the accident.

In 1985 an American Airlines B-727 made an emergency landing because the number 3 engine separated from the aircraft

A damaged 0-ring in the forward lavatory had allowed sewage to leak , which froze on the exterior of the fuselage ,

When the ice broke off , it hit the turbine blades causing the engine to disintegrate and fall off.

Taking the risk of giving Dan Gryder new ideas...these are the types of accidents he should be looking into. :)

Paraphrased from memory a story I read about years ago .... I was a small charter aircraft hired by a zoo ...... it went something like this ....

PILOT .... I want to declare an emergency and need vectors to the nearest airport

ATC .... where are you ??

PILOT ... crossing the Mexican border into the USA

ATC .... OK ... I will look up the nearest airport with a customs clearing office

PILOT ... no time for that .... must land immediately

ATC ... what is the nature of your emergency ??

PILOT .... my controls are being bashed by an animal

ATC .... huh ???

PILOT ..... transporting a wild mountain goat from South America in a wire cage behind and between the seats .... tranquilizers have worn off and it has been ramming and bashing the cage ...... it has stretched and dis-formed the cage so much it is now up against the yoke ....

ATC ... OK .... stand by for vectors to nearest airport ....

Not only that, the town below was damaged by an Icy BM....

Ron Wanttaja

Back