Mooney Down WA

There’s a thread on mooneyspace about it. He requested a climb to 19k to get out of some icing. Then no one heard from him again. The plane had TKS but was not equipped with FIKi

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

What does this mean? The airplane was equipped with TKS and it was equipped with FIKI or it was equipped with neither.

What does this mean? The airplane was equipped with TKS and it was equipped with FIKI or it was equipped with neither.
It means it had a de-icing system that was intended for an immediate escape from ice, but not approved to continue flying in ice conditions.

It means it had a de-icing system that was intended for an immediate escape from ice, but not approved to continue flying in ice conditions.
Wonder if it's going to turn out icing was forecast or there were pireps it was there. That would constitute Flying Into Known Ice

They get some awesome ice in that area. I once saw an urgent PIREP from a Horizon Air Dash 8 near there: "A/C in cloud 4 seconds, 1/4 inch accumulation."
That area of the Pacific Northwest has been used to conduct Icing Flight Testing in the past. They usually don't have to wait for long to get the conditions they need to do their tests.

V2 is the worst, There used to be a method of climbing over the sound before proceeding over the mountains. It had an official name like "delay vectors for ice in the climb." The Mooney wing is not good in ice........... I owned an M20J.

Back