[Na]Who is traveling internationally these days?

I have been in germany for the past week. For entry, the CDC vaccination card was sufficient. You are required to quarantine for 10 days while coming from the US but you can 'test out' after 5 days. You are exempt from quarantine if the trip falls under a list of exemptions including some business and family related travel.
For indoor dining you have to show your CDC card and depending on the state, you may have to provide contact information. Never had anyone insist on the electronic certificate
Nov 25th will be the end of the state of emergency, so some of these national level rules are going to end. There may still be local requirements until March '22.

For return, the CDC requires a test. I did this with a local lab that emailed me the result. I upload the test result to the airline the same way I uploaded the vaccination record on the way out.

I have been in germany for the past week. For entry, the CDC vaccination card was sufficient. You are required to quarantine for 10 days while coming from the US but you can 'test out' after 5 days. You are exempt from quarantine if the trip falls under a list of exemptions including some business and family related travel.
My understanding is that you can avoid the quarantine if you upload a vax certificate to their website. Is that not correct?

My understanding is that you can avoid the quarantine if you upload a vax certificate to their website. Is that not correct?

In a very un-german fit of administrative inefficiency, there are differences between the FAQ, the regulation and what the RKI has programmed into their entry software. So while the wording says that you may be exempted, the entry software tells you to go into quarantine yet also tells you if you are exempted based on a family visit.
I would go by the FAQ and play dumb.

I just came back from an international trip and at home test kit that you can order before you leave saves a ton of time, money and hassle of getting tested in a foreign country. Thought will share here for anyone who might not know.

Order your kit from https://www.emed.com/?hsLang=en before your departure, takes 2 days to get to your home. Take the kit with you, 24-48 hours before return flight do the test - it’s proctor guided test, takes 25 mins or so and you get a certificate at the end of the video session with the proctor. Upload it to your airlines portal or get a printed copy etc.

It’s a major time saver.

I just came back from an international trip and at home test kit that you can order before you leave saves a ton of time, money and hassle of getting tested in a foreign country. Thought will share here for anyone who might not know.

Order your kit from https://www.emed.com/?hsLang=en before your departure, takes 2 days to get to your home. Take the kit with you, 24-48 hours before return flight do the test - it’s proctor guided test, takes 25 mins or so and you get a certificate at the end of the video session with the proctor. Upload it to your airlines portal or get a printed copy etc.

It’s a major time saver.
Was considering getting one of the home tests but there was a pharmacy on every corner in Paris. €25 for an antigen test and got the results in 15 minutes. Pretty much all of the Caribbean resorts also offer in house testing to go back home.

Was considering getting one of the home tests but there was a pharmacy on every corner in Paris. €25 for an antigen test and got the results in 15 minutes. Pretty much all of the Caribbean resorts also offer in house testing to go back home.

Yeah if there is onsite testing that’s probably the best. In my case, I was on an island with no testing around. There was one that was at the airport before comping back and was charging $75 USD per person. This kit is about $64 for 2 people

In a very un-german fit of administrative inefficiency, there are differences between the FAQ, the regulation and what the RKI has programmed into their entry software. So while the wording says that you may be exempted, the entry software tells you to go into quarantine yet also tells you if you are exempted based on a family visit.
I would go by the FAQ and play dumb.
Lovely.

I'm really close to pulling the plug on the trip.

Right now, I have it booked into FRA, catching the train to Basel (CH) for 2 nights, then back into Germany. That alone will cause them fits, but could avoid the entire question depending on how the software is programmed.

Lovely.

I'm really close to pulling the plug on the trip.

Right now, I have it booked into FRA, catching the train to Basel (CH) for 2 nights, then back into Germany. That alone will cause them fits, but could avoid the entire question depending on how the software is programmed.

You may be able to take advantage of the transit rules. You have x days exempted if you are in transit.

The silly thing is that right now there is 'community transmission' in germany, so there is no point to quarantining people from another place with 'community transmission'. It would make more sense to require a PCR test close to departure to reduce the odds of transmission on board of an incoming flight.

If you need to go to Basel, it may be less complicated to fly straight into Switzerland, but I have no idea what their current rules are.

You may be able to take advantage of the transit rules. You have x days exempted if you are in transit.

The silly thing is that right now there is 'community transmission' in germany, so there is no point to quarantining people from another place with 'community transmission'. It would make more sense to require a PCR test close to departure to reduce the odds of transmission on board of an incoming flight.

If you need to go to Basel, it may be less complicated to fly straight into Switzerland, but I have no idea what their current rules are.
Yes, transit may be an option, but I'd still have to do the notification both for first entry into Germany (transit to CH), then when we go back into Germany 2 days later. Swiss require separate form be filled out, and that'll have to be done more than once as we would cross back into Switzerland later in the trip (if I don't cancel the whole thing). French are better: no specific online forms but you have to carry a signed "Statement of Honor" that you haven't had symptoms. Spain appears to require nothing for land crossings, but requires an online form for air and ferry entry. It's a real mess and anything but "unified".

I think transit option should work (but who knows until I try) - and from what I can tell, once you upload a vax certificate you're not required to quarantine but they don't send you a new entry form/QR. But again, who knows at this point.

With the incubation time, testing before the flight doesn't mean much - the vaccination is a far better option (and the US, which also has community transmission, requires only tests right now but that changes on the 8th - at least with respect how soon before flight you have to test).

As for flying into Switzerland... Originally we were planning to fly into Munich: flight canceled. Likewise Portugal (so, Holiday markets in central EU via FRA it will be). Booking on points so limited to the airline with which I have points (AA). Oh, I'm sure I could get there through LHR, but who wants to deal with THAT mess.

I keep edging closer and closer to the cancel buttons. I've got a bit of time to decide.

Norway lifted all travel restrictions last month.
Time to log into Norwegian!

Doing Ibiza in May and will hopefully get to hold some international trips at work. I bet this summer is going to be crazy for international travel.

We leave for Puerto Vallarta in the morning. Looks like getting there is a big "whoop". Coming back in a couple weeks we'll need the CDC approved test. Mexico isn't a big deal at this time.

Looks like getting there is a big "whoop". Coming back in a couple weeks we'll need the CDC approved test. Mexico isn't a big deal at this time.

Same as last year when I went. Resort paid for the test/paperwork which was fine with me and American Airlines accepted everything as routine.

Customs and Immigration can be a Cluster depending on day/time of arrival. Not to mention the Timeshare hustlers.

Cheers

Vienna and Prague beginning of next month. South Africa in the fall. Germany next spring.

Booked a trip to Mongolia and Siberia (Lake Baikal) a year ago to depart June of this year. Never thought COVID would make a comeback. Never thought that war would occur. Ditching the Russia portion, maybe still going to Mongolia.

Puerto Vallarta in June, UK in Oct.

I need these.

Cheers

We just went to puerto vallarta last month (self flying not commercial). Painless both ways. No proof of vaccination (we are), negative test results or masks required at any point.

We’re heading to the Caribbean and the island just dropped testing requirements. Whooo Hooo

Mexican Riviera cruise next month; hopefully all will go well. Then in July there's the Viking river cruise we booked almost four years ago. We couldn't go in 2019 as originally scheduled because of my surgery; then it was canceled due to covid in both 2020 and 2021. Maybe it'll happen this year, unless the war fouls it up.

Went to Guam last Sept, via Hawaii. Hardest part was getting the paperwork correct at IAH.
Leaving today for TLV. Hardest part is the difference in information between Ministry of Health, Delta Airlines ( their website has been broken for days), and some crazy testing requirements.

Point is, don't live in fear.

I've been to Mexico multiple times in the last 8 months both with my Cherokee and commercial.

It's so much easier going with the Cherokee.

Mexico has no restrictions, but strict masking requirements indoors and outdoors

I also did a trip to Singapore and Dubai in February.

Singapore was easy enough. Take a PCR test before you go, one on arrival and then off to the hotel room to wait for a result. About the time I woke up from my nap all was well. You do have to have a tracking app there where you check in and out of every building/business you enter.

Dubai was easy enough. Test before you go. Masking was mandatory with a big fine if you don't.

Finally after two years got my global entry renewed. Customs and immigration at DFW is a mess. Expect an hour wait.

…except, not much left of Norwegian Airlines.

I was about to come here and ask opinions,

which is preferred?
Lufthansa?
Scandinavian?
Delta?
U/A?

Is there much difference in seat pitch, or overall comfort among all the different transatlantic aircraft?
I see A340, 737-900, 747 and others.

Back