Cessna down at KUKI

Ranchoa

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff
Approximately 3:15 pm today a Cessna, possibly a 172, crashed on final at Ukiah. The pilot sustained fatal injuries. The airport remains closed until 10am tomorrow.

Attachments

• 2A4FE1C4-EC7C-41DB-BD93-91BB3BF1945C.png
    2A4FE1C4-EC7C-41DB-BD93-91BB3BF1945C.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 165
Crap - I flew to Lakeport and back yesterday at this time, which is just a few miles from UKI . Sky was clear and a million, almost no wind. Cools temps. Perhaps the best day of the year to fly here in northern California.

How does someone kill themselves on such a perfect day? (rhetorical for the comprehension challenged)

RIP

The plane took off from my home airport. Rumor has it that it was a student on a cross country solo. The plane was from our local flight school. I know it was equipped with shoulder harnesses. Not sure what could have happened. So sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Doesn’t look like that should’ve been a fatal crash. Hopefully if it was equipped with shoulder belts they were on, some type of aviation belts let you disconnect the shoulder belt in flight. I am not a fan of those, as it’s probably pretty easy to forget to reattach them. It could also be helpful, if aircraft owners would install airbags, at least on models that have an STC for them.

Agree with others, on the surface this one doesn't look like your typical fatal accident.

Really curious to hear the configuration they find the seat belts in.

Looks like the plane was on speed on short final. 67 knots. On a side note, the runway at Ukiah is rough for being paved. Interesting that it was 54 knots at the hash marks, then sped up to 62 knots before veering off the runway and coming to an abrupt stop.
d3d307b32379a70a0da0dc38cd789681.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Agree with others, on the surface this one doesn't look like your typical fatal accident.

Really curious to hear the configuration they find the seat belts in.

There is a report now that the pilot was not wearing a seatbelt and was thrown through the windshield as the plane nosed over and then landed on top of him. How sad and unfortunate.

Doesn’t look like that should’ve been a fatal crash. Hopefully if it was equipped with shoulder belts they were on, some type of aviation belts let you disconnect the shoulder belt in flight. I am not a fan of those, as it’s probably pretty easy to forget to reattach them. It could also be helpful, if aircraft owners would install airbags, at least on models that have an STC for them.
It's pretty easy to die if your skull is detached from your spinal column, which can happen when flipping a plane. I would assume that a very tight shoulder harness would mitigate that, but airbags would do nothing.

Unfortunately, even the best safety equipment doesn't prevent injury or death in some instances especially when the incident/accident appears to be survivable.

A lot of sketchy data on this, one eyewitness claimed the plane was taking off and I'm not sure where the "no seatbelt" info came from. From the pictures I note that the flaps are up so there's that if it means anything. Sad for something like this to happen on such a beautiful day, a fatality from the type of incident we all assume we would survive d:-(

A lot of sketchy data on this, one eyewitness claimed the plane was taking off and I'm not sure where the "no seatbelt" info came from. From the pictures I note that the flaps are up so there's that if it means anything. Sad for something like this to happen on such a beautiful day, a fatality from the type of incident we all assume we would survive d:-(

I hadn’t heard the no seatbelt theory yet but I did hear from a solid source he did not have his shoulder belts on. Looking at the data and seeing him slow down to 54 knots, then speed up to 62 before crashing coupled with the flaps raised up makes me wonder if this was a botched go around. The prop sure looks like it was under power too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It doesn't take much flailing into the panel from just a lap belt to kill you. I've seen that in motor vehicle accidents as a paramedic.

Back