FAA hosts inclusive language summit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I presume they're now going to give out "airperson certificates"?

If only the "language" could fix the prejudicial attitudes at the FAA.

This is the least of the problems the FAA needs to fix, if it even is a problem needing fixing.

I guess NOTAMs will become NOTAPs and that will be the only improvement they get....

Its my understanding this move is government wide and the DoT/FAA have no input on the matter as other agencies don't as well. What will be interesting is if they pursue changing aviation terminologies that affect international requirements and agreements which is different than most federal government rules/regulations.

We’re gonna have to list pronouns on our certificate…

I’m not mocking it all, changes like replacing ‘airmen’ with ‘aviator’ are overdue.

Last edited:
I’m just surprised the FAA can’t find something better to spend our money on! :)

Its my understanding this move is government wide and the DoT/FAA have no input on the matter as other agencies don't as well. What will be interesting is if they pursue changing aviation terminologies that affect international requirements and agreements which is different than most federal government rules/regulations.
The rest of the world is way ahead of us on this subject.

Again, this is nothing other than lip service. The language change doesn't change the racist, sexist attitudes it the US federal government.

Really? So….who works in all those DC buildings?
The rest of the world is way ahead of us on this subject.

Again, this is nothing other than lip service. The language change doesn't change the racist, sexist attitudes it the US federal government.

Really? So….who works in all those DC buildings?

In positions of authority? Mostly white males with bad attitudes. You can argue that great civil rights stides have been made, but it's still quite institutionally pervasive and adopting male gendered words as the gender-neutral ones are the LEAST of the issues involved.

I think people forget that "man" as in "mankind" is not a gendered word. I had no problem with male gendered words, and I'm female.

Well...not where I go.....It's a sea of diversity. The days of middle aged white guys getting promoted are over.
In positions of authority? Mostly white males with bad attitudes. You can argue that great civil rights stides have been made, but it's still quite institutionally pervasive and adopting male gendered words as the gender-neutral ones are the LEAST of the issues involved.

Shoot, I'm not going to be able to attend. I'll be working....:rolleyes: Guess I could take a vacation day and watch on U tube, not... Or go to the local FSDO, drink their coffee and eat their cookies..

We’re gonna have to list pronouns on our certificate…

I’m not mocking it all, changes like replacing ‘airmen’ with ‘aviator’ are overdue.
I am known as "Sire" in my house. I want it included on the list.

There's a huge gender imbalance in pilots and almost all of exposure to GA has been white, middle age/boomer gentlemen. Fixing words ain't gonna fix that. It's a start but from all the fuss I'm seeing here about pronouns I have to wonder if you all really want to fix the real problems at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back