GTN750xi maps

Joe_B1

Line Up and Wait
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Joe_B
It would be great if you could get a sectional (similar to Garmin pilot) on the 750. I really dont like the processed map options on the 750. So the questions are, can the 750 display a sectional and if not, is there some reason the displays are different between the 750 and pilot, is this some sort of copyright issue? What are the chances of getting Garmin to provide a sectional overlay?

I totally agree. The Garmin “map” option is useless. If ForeFlight can offer VFR sectionals and Canada VNC charts, Garmin should be able to do the same. Any Garmin customer service reps reading this?

If you display a sectional on the screen and select "track up" , when flying southerly headings would it not be upside down ? That is why I prefer the aeronautical view in ForeFlight. Maybe Garmin is similar ?

I guess they figure everybody has an EFB with maps and plates.

If you display a sectional on the screen and select "track up" , when flying southerly headings would it not be upside down ? That is why I prefer the aeronautical view in ForeFlight. Maybe Garmin is similar ?

I guess they figure everybody has an EFB with maps and plates.
Track up is the most logical way to set it up, if you fly south, it flips to be "south up" but nothing is upside down.

Garmin Pilot offers sectionals with the track up option… I thought it was just my 650 that didn’t have that option with the smaller screen.

Garmin Pilot offers sectionals with the track up option… I thought it was just my 650 that didn’t have that option with the smaller screen.
Nope, no sectionals on the 750xi that I am aware of.

Pilot is an EFB - an intended sectional/enroute chart replacement. The 650 is a panel GPS - a tool designed for primary IFR navigation. Different tools, different purposes, different content.

Last edited:
Pilot is an EFB - an intended sectional/enroute chart replacement. The 650 is a panel GPS - a tool designed for primary IFR navigation. Different tools, different purposes, different content.
Still most of us are trained to be able to look at a sectional and interpret it. The options for the various displays available on the 650 / 750 are not very useful. An option for a sectional overlay would be very useful.

To the rescue: inexpensive Aera 660 hardwired to the GTN650. Too bad the GTN750 can't do this.

I agree that the VFR sectional presentation is generally more useful than the Garmin maps. The latter are fine for IFR but the detail on the VFR sectional is still something I want to be able to see when flying VFR.

IIMG_0846.JPEG

My only guess is that the sectional option on the GTN650XI and maybe the 750 -must be a certification issue?

Don’t get me wrong - I love the 650 and touchscreen in the few short months I’ve flown behind it. I have a friend who just installed the GTN750XI- along with charts displaying I assumed it would have all the map options that the 650 doesn’t.

I have the the Aero 660 also in a panel mount- but no track up option on sectionals but does have it for the hybrid gamin maps track up option. It’s really a great inexpensive backup tool that includes the Garmin buttonolgy and framework.

I had the privilege of operating the Garmin 5000 for about 3 years when it first came out… got spoiled with all the map options.

To the rescue: inexpensive Aera 660 hardwired to the GTN650. Too bad the GTN750 can't do this.

I agree that the VFR sectional presentation is generally more useful than the Garmin maps. The latter are fine for IFR but the detail on the VFR sectional is still something I want to be able to see when flying VFR.

IView attachment 101249
I politely disagree. The original VFR maps are extremely "busy" but they have to be as they have to include all relevant information for the flight. However EFBs have the ability to load different "layers" of information as needed which makes it much more user friendly in flight. I know I spend a lot less time looking for something on a decluttered EFB aeronautical layer than when I have the VFR sectional layer up.

I politely disagree. The original VFR maps are extremely "busy" but they have to be as they have to include all relevant information for the flight. However EFBs have the ability to load different "layers" of information as needed which makes it much more user friendly in flight. I know I spend a lot less time looking for something on a decluttered EFB aeronautical layer than when I have the VFR sectional layer up.

I use the layered Garmin maps and aeronautical layer on FF as well at times. That's okay, it's just technique.

But there's a lot of detail -- important detail -- on the VFR sectional which often gets skipped over when you allow a vendor to filter the data for you. I did a webinar for EA25 which covered this last year. The impetus for the presentation was derived in part by an RT I performed in which the recipient "busted" airspace due to filtered chart data. One of the last slides on that section had the caption, "the VFR sectional is the ultimate layer!" The end user just need to be careful with it of course.

I always have a VFR sectional up somewhere, whether it's on my iPad or (now) the Aera 660 whenever I'm flying VFR. There's a bit too much there I need to see to leave it to filtered data. It's my personal recommendation to always have this view available somewhere on the flight deck to the pilot when flying under Visual Flight Rules.

I use the layered Garmin maps and aeronautical layer on FF as well at times. That's okay, it's just technique.

But there's a lot of detail -- important detail -- on the VFR sectional which often gets skipped over when you allow a vendor to filter the data for you. I did a webinar for EA25 which covered this last year. The impetus for the presentation was derived in part by an RT I performed in which the recipient "busted" airspace due to filtered chart data. One of the last slides on that section had the caption, "the VFR sectional is the ultimate layer!" The end user just need to be careful with it of course.

I always have a VFR sectional up somewhere, whether it's on my iPad or (now) the Aera 660 whenever I'm flying VFR. There's a bit too much there I need to see to leave it to filtered data. It's my personal recommendation to always have this view available somewhere on the flight deck to the pilot when flying under Visual Flight Rules.
Exactly my point! When you pay 20 grand for a front and center navigator, it should have a chart overlay option.

Exactly my point! When you pay 20 grand for a front and center navigator, it should have a chart overlay option.

You mean for an IFR navigator.

Did you research the unit before you spent 20 grand?

You mean for an IFR navigator.

Did you research the unit before you spent 20 grand?
Ugh, yes I did extensively! There are quite a few overlays you can place over the basic map display. Weather, traffic, terrain, etc. I was just making the observation that it is strange that when you buy a Cadillac navigator, there isn't any option for a VFR sectional overlay on the map page. If you buy flight charts, you can get an IFR overlay.

Ugh, yes I did extensively! There are quite a few overlays you can place over the basic map display. Weather, traffic, terrain, etc. I was just making the observation that it is strange that when you buy a Cadillac navigator, there isn't any option for a VFR sectional overlay on the map page. If you buy flight charts, you can get an IFR overlay.
Not really. FliteCharts gives you IFR instrument approach plates, a good idea specific to IFR, which is what these units are really about. But no, for the basic moving map, its the same as VFR, no FAA VFR sectionals, no FAA IFR low enroute or high enroute IFR charts.

It's not a bad idea to make it available. Not a big deal to me - that what an EFB is for. But I suspect that, in addition to the target IFR market, an issue is current database size and processing considerations. The map you see on screen is fairly small. Adding FliteCharts increases the requirements but not as much as a complete set of multi-colored they are really huge. As an example you can look at the difference between Jepp and FAA charts in Foreflight. The entire US in Jepp - approach charts, low enroute, high enroute, and Jepps; own brand of VFR chart, takes up less space than one or two FAA sectionals.

It is possible. The Dynon line does provide what you want (different target market), but in that case, the charts have to remain on a USB stick. They can't be loaded into the unit itself. Way too big.

Not really. FliteCharts gives you IFR instrument approach plates, a good idea specific to IFR, which is what these units are really about. But no, for the basic moving map, its the same as VFR, no FAA VFR sectionals, no FAA IFR low enroute or high enroute IFR charts.

It's not a bad idea to make it available. Not a big deal to me - that what an EFB is for. But I suspect that, in addition to the target IFR market, an issue is current database size and processing considerations. The map you see on screen is fairly small. Adding FliteCharts increases the requirements but not as much as a complete set of multi-colored they are really huge. As an example you can look at the difference between Jepp and FAA charts in Foreflight. The entire US in Jepp - approach charts, low enroute, high enroute, and Jepps; own brand of VFR chart, takes up less space than one or two FAA sectionals.

It is possible. The Dynon line does provide what you want (different target market), but in that case, the charts have to remain on a USB stick. They can't be loaded into the unit itself. Way too big.
I would counter that argument by saying if my $200 EFB can handle the memory requirements of having a moving map sectional, then my $20 grand navigator should be able to, memory is pretty cheap these days. All I am saying is that having a separate device to look at is not the best situation when you have a device in the panel staring you in the face that can provide additional information. I don't think that anyone would disagree that a moving map sectional similar to what the Garmin pilot map screen displays would not be a desirable option.

I would counter that argument by saying if my $200 EFB can handle the memory requirements of having a moving map sectional, then my $20 grand navigator should be able to, memory is pretty cheap these days. All I am saying is that having a separate device to look at is not the best situation when you have a device in the panel staring you in the face that can provide additional information. I don't think that anyone would disagree that a moving map sectional similar to what the Garmin pilot map screen displays would not be a desirable option.
I certainly didn't.

Well said. Begs the question of why a 750 then, and not just stick with the 650? If you're going to have to rely on and/or use a moving map on a tablet that overlays plates, IFR sectionals, etc., then what does the larger screen of the 750 bring to the table for you?

Well said. Begs the question of why a 750 then, and not just stick with the 650? If you're going to have to rely on and/or use a moving map on a tablet that overlays plates, IFR sectionals, etc., then what does the larger screen of the 750 bring to the table for you?
You can get plates on a 750, not available on a 650

Reactions: WDD
This sounds crazy...but the biggest reason is the keyboard. The 650 can't display a whole keyboard at once, which means sliding to find the letters when you're typing stuff in. Still beats the 430/530 knob, but having the whole keyboard at once is MUCH easier. The bigger map display is always nice, and I use the nexrad display on mine a fair bit. More space to scroll through lists. It's nice to have if you have the panel space. The 750 can also control a remote transponder and audio panel.

This sounds crazy...but the biggest reason is the keyboard. The 650 can't display a whole keyboard at once, which means sliding to find the letters when you're typing stuff in.
You need to get your firmware updated - full keyboard on 650 no problem. Can also control transponder.

You need to get your firmware updated - full keyboard on 650 no problem. Can also control transponder.
On one screen? How small are the buttons? I've only used one in a club plane, and it's been a year.

On one screen? How small are the buttons? I've only used one in a club plane, and it's been a year.

thats been an update for a couple of years. club is way behind.

All on one screen. I have little problem typing. It does predictive text, so if you put in the first few letters of a fix, it will show you likely ones.

This small. As @Hang 4 mentioned, with predictive text (basically, it knows you want something nearby) most only require 2-3 keystrokes (IKTOW is a fix just south of the departure airport). Works well.
upload_2021-10-28_14-56-15.png

Last edited:
I never said that's did not like my 750. I would just like to have the option of a moving map sectional like on Garmin pilot rather than having to look at a separate handheld display.

To answer your specific question, the 750 gives me a larger, easier to see at a glance display. It's the centerpiece of my panel. The larger display lets me see traffic, as well as nav data more easily.

Back