Covid test for US re-entry

Bill Watson

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
MauleDriver
Has anyone returned to US on a personal international flight recently with or without recent Covid test?

There doesn’t seem to be any stateside verification process and just wondering how that is handled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, just from the Bahamas. I returned to Ft Lauderdale Executive and I did not have a covid test to re-enter... They cannot detain you for that so they aren't enforcing it or even checking.

Posts over on Baja Beech Pilots are saying don't ask, don't tell.

For travel back to US from UK, test enforcement implemented by airlines.

Two weeks ago, airline would not allow check-in for US bound flight from Heathrow without a negative test result (test must be within 3 days of departure). In UK, test-for-travel is not free.
-UK req’d ‘arrivals’ test was $95.75.
-To return to US, ‘departure’ test was $75.14.

From Nov 8, vaccinated foreign nationals may resume travel to US, and for (returning) vaccinated US citizens, no change: “Fully vaccinated Americans will have to be tested three days before travel.”

Last edited:
Verification is only being done by commercial airlines at point of departure, and CBP is not verifying anything on arrival…I entered the country six times in the last two months from various locations and also with face recognition several times did not even interact with CBP other than walk past them…I use the proctored Abbot BiNax test through emed.com and it’s easy and fast.

GA and entry by vessel just nothing in place to verify…

"Proof of vaccination and testing will be required before boarding the plane and it will be up to the airlines to enforce the measures,"

What could go wrong? :rolleyes:

How could they not let me back into MY country?

Are they checking medical records on the south border?

Technically, they can't. But you have to get here. If you're flying commercial, it sounds like the airline won't let you board unless you meet the requirements.

Freedom Rings… for the GA owner/operator/pilot/passenger

I love my country.

I will avoid it if at all possible. Just on general principles. If I have to have a test or show proof of vax, I won’t go. I stopped flying airlines when they started requiring masks for the same reason.

I will avoid it if at all possible. Just on general principles. If I have to have a test or show proof of vax, I won’t go. I stopped flying airlines when they started requiring masks for the same reason.

You sir, are limiting your own agency due to principles that are unfathomable to me. There are just too many things to do and see in this world for that.

I just came home from Germany. Before going, I purchased the BinaxNOW self test to do the quick test using telemedicine (video chat with a doctor). Well, wouldn’t you know it, I bought the wrong test.

I got the one that doesn’t include a video chat feature.

Not an issue because it was easy at the Düsseldorf airport to get a quick test ($35) to show the airline at our connecting flight in Frankfurt.

They really are trying to make it as painless as possible. Just get to the airport early and research where you can take the test. Results take 30 minutes. Ours came in 20.

I've been to Europe three times this year and each time just needed to show negative results for rapid antigen test at airline check-in for return to the US. Easy peasy.

You sir, are limiting your own agency due to principles that are unfathomable to me. There are just too many things to do and see in this world for that.

I’m the same way, but I just say I’m flight crew, most places that’s a exempt

Minus the mask bit, my old neck gater works

I did the exact same thing. And when I called they said I needed a different more expensive version I wanted to reach through the airwaves and slap the person on the other end of the call.

I just came home from Germany. Before going, I purchased the BinaxNOW self test to do the quick test using telemedicine (video chat with a doctor). Well, wouldn’t you know it, I bought the wrong test.

Not an issue because it was easy at the Düsseldorf airport to get a quick test ($35) to show the airline at our connecting flight in Frankfurt.

They really are trying to make it as painless as possible. Just get to the airport early and research where you can take the test. Results take 30 minutes. Ours came in 20.

I drove to Canada three weeks ago, and drove back to the US. Canadians asked if I had a test (I did, free PCR from the state of Maryland) but did not verify. Nothing from the Americans.

I drove to Canada one week ago and flew back GA to the US. Canadians asked to SEE my PCR test. Nothing from the Americans.

CBP could care less about a test. It is solely up to the airlines to allow you to board. And with the ease of getting counterfeit test results, you really think some minimum wage airline worker will really scrutinize a test result.

I drove to Canada three weeks ago, and drove back to the US. Canadians asked if I had a test (I did, free PCR from the state of Maryland) but did not verify. Nothing from the Americans.

I drove to Canada one week ago and flew back GA to the US. Canadians asked to SEE my PCR test. Nothing from the Americans.
I drove to Canada a few weeks ago. I had to upload my vaccine and test info on the ArriveCan app. They asked to see my PCR test. Coming back to the US, CBP didn't care about vaccine or test.

What about people who have gotten the virus and are within 90 days of having had it? You can still test positive and not be sick. That means they can't travel because they can't get a negative test?

What about people who have gotten the virus and are within 90 days of having had it? You can still test positive and not be sick. That means they can't travel because they can't get a negative test?
You get a note from your doctor that you had it and have recovered. That suffices.

Returned without incident. The responsibility has been placed on the airlines and charter companies. No process for owner/operators to do or get checked. I feel so entitled!

Please get fully vaxxed and otherwise stem the spread. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you'd gone to a local Apotheke (pharmacy) the day before instead, they would have done it for free in 15 minutes. That may change soon, but for now it works. You can also buy self tests for 80 cents at the grocery store in Germany, not useable for entry into the US but occasionally its useful to have one available at home. Last month we bought 30 of the same type used by the pharmacy, a lifetime supply.

My normal practice is to travel to Europe twice per year on vacation and to visit family. With current CV related regulatory nonsense in Europe, I'm not motivated to return. The pre-boarding test on return to the US is the least of the problems, trivial by comparison.

Nice to hear regardless that its not enforced if you e.g. fly to San Felipe for the day. It's also BTW not required if you walk across the bridge to the US side terminal from Tijuana airport.

Last edited:

The airlines are not requiring anything. They are flying under rules mandated by the federal government. Much like letting a passenger board without a passport or proper visas they are fined for each passenger who arrives without proper required documents. When you purchase a ticket you agree to meet those requirements.

My normal practice is to travel to Europe twice per year on vacation and to visit family. With current CV related regulatory nonsense in Europe, I'm not motivated to return. The pre-boarding test on return to the US is the least of the problems, trivial by comparison.
Yeah, it's red tape after red tape and no cohesive way of doing things. And there are people who would like to do the same stuff here in the States.

Please get fully vaxxed and otherwise stem the spread. Thanks!
And also avoid a really unpleasant and frightening experience yourself. My entire extended family got COVID on New Years Eve at a super spreader wedding. Everyone recovered without serious complication, but it was not something I advise anyone to willingly subject themselves to. I lost my sense of taste for a month, except for citrus, which tasted incredible. At one point I bought a giant sack of oranges in a Walmart and ate them in the parking lot.

Good to see you back on the boards, Bill. How is the knee? Flying that beautiful RV again?

Good to see you back on the boards, Bill. How is the knee? Flying that beautiful RV again?
Glad to hear you and yours survived Covid. My wife caught it early on and it was no joke.

My new knee works and it’s kept me fishing, flying and golfing.

My RV-10 was fine until my night time return from the Bahamas yesterday when I killed my 2nd deer. I’ve now chalked up a goose and 2 deer in 3 different aircraft. It was a yearling and only cracked a nacelle.

Glad to hear you and yours survived Covid. My wife caught it early on and it was no joke.

My new knee works and it’s kept me fishing, flying and golfing.

My RV-10 was fine until my night time return from the Bahamas yesterday when I killed my 2nd deer. I’ve now chalked up a goose and 2 deer in 3 different aircraft. It was a yearling and only cracked a nacelle.

Wouldn’t it be easier and cheaper to use a shotgun?

But it hit the prop?

I bet they’re just beside themselves.

But it hit the prop?

Not only didn’t it hit the prop, I think the little guy survived and ran off later.

After landing I went back in the dark to see if a coup de grace was required but found the carcass whole and without any cuts or obvious damage. I dragged it off the grass runway.

I’ve been waiting for the buzzards to collect and checked for them several times. Then after close examination of the slightly cracked nacelle it occurred to me that maybe….

Went back to find him today and only found a small tuft of hair. I think he was just knocked unconscious. My wife is very happy.

764fa9ecf02c8900f396759a3d950b80.jpg

I thought the little guy was dead but now it seems to be a probable at best.

Last edited:
Back