Considering a different airplane

If you are set on getting rid of the Bo, an archer is a good choice.
Good idea. But I think I'll keep the Bo.

Edited around 7am on Oct 26, 21: For those just joining the thread, comments and opinions are still appreciated, but I have already decided to keep the Bo, so encouragement in that direction is no longer necessary.

Me, I'd keep the Bo and throttle back, but that's just me.

That's pretty much what I've decided to do;

Cardinals are good planes. That might be my choice if I hadn't already been convinced my idea has little merit, thus I'm staying with the Bo.

Your mission has Sportsman 2+2 written all over it.
Comfy for two with shoulder room. 46" shoulder width so check.
Room for baggage and possibly bikes. Check.
120kts. Check.
IFR with decent avionics. Its experimental so not hard to convert if you find one that's VFR only.

Grumman Tiger. Check out @SixPapaCharlie videos. He shows just how much fits when the rear seats are folded down. I do believe his plane is for sale, too.

Do you have to pay capital gains on the gains you make selling the bo? You’ll definitely have to pay sales tax on the new plane. Given that you’ll definitely have to pay the later and possibly the former and that taxes are the ultimate waste of money, for how long and how much slower do you really want to go just to break even on taxes alone? I bet it’s a looooong time.

Depends on which state you purchased a plane in if you have to pay sales tax. Definitely paying sales tax is not always the case. I’ve flown aircraft for an aircraft closings to a specific states so the purchaser did not have to pay sales tax at closing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on which state you purchased a plane in if you have to pay sales tax. Definitely paying sales tax is not always the case. I’ve flown aircraft for an aircraft closings to a specific states so the purchaser did not have to pay sales tax at closing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it's true that there a few scenarios where you can avoid sales tax, but not that many, and not any realistic ways (in my, conservative tax opinion) to structure a transaction in a way so as to avoid it if you are subject to sales or use - don't forget use - taxes. Living in Washington state, I am pretty sure there's no way OP can avoid it.

My general point here is that there are some major costs of doing the trade and in the case of sales tax and potentially capital gains tax, you could destroy a lot of value just buying and selling that would take years and years of lower fuel flows to recover. And that's just in taxes alone! Not to mention costs related to selling, brokerage, travel, prebuys, registrations, and setting up the new plane and getting through the first couple annuals, etc...

Back