Is Dan Gryder the biggest asset to aviation on youtube?

Slandering the deceased (which DG regularly does) is not humor.

No it is not! I don't think anyone here is implying that it is humor to slander deceased.

He does provide some interesting perspectives on accidents.
From what I have heard him say its criticism of the actions pilots may have taken. That is not slander. Granted it is a sensitive area but not off limits.
I think he is popular because he speaks his mind when many are afraid to.

As for his DC antics.... clearly he is anti establishment and someone ticked him off. There is a lot of that going on nowadays...and we judge him?

But pilots used to be rebels, risk takers, questioning status quo. Now its please don't discuss a crash. It is offensive.
I find it offensive that NTSB, FAA will take 2 years to do a report on a crash/site that they didn't bother to visit. We are not offended by the NTSB doing crappy work and blaming dead pilots? That is also slander... hidden in official reports. He challenges that, good for him....Like finding a carburetor at a crash site after the NTSB "investigated". Great investigation they did.

Last edited:
I think you should list who you think is a bigger tool for comparison then.:dunno: IDK.

All of us here for starters. ;)

I dont agree with many things that he says, but he found an empty space and filled it providing content....some useful...some not so much.. and yes some offensive. But everyone is always offended nowadays. So much so that they keep watching him and providing him free advertising on POA.

Last edited:
Title isn't "is he right sometimes", it's more or less "is he a jerk?" I'd say sometimes, and yes. So I don't watch. His spring is wound too tight. I work with a couple of people like that, and don't need it off hours.

Dan was adamant in his video this week that the MD87 "flew" to the crash site, yet there are skid marks from the last 500' of runway all the way to the crash site. Juan correctly pointed this out in his video.
I'd bet that there were skid marks in their short, too.

As Dan points out, YT scores him on minutes watched per month. He is obviously aware of that, and wants to maximize that figure. I suspect he is gearing his "shock jock" style to get more clicks and minutes.

Who is Dan Gryder that we should listen to him? All I know for sure is that he spends a whole video showing he doesn’t know what Maneuvering Speed is, while berating those who do, and he had an amazingly stupid run-in with the law in his DC-3. I’ve heard, but haven’t seen a primary source, that he feels qualified to offer criticism of Richard McSpadden’s actions as Thunderbird Lead.

I’m no psychiatrist, but he reminds me a lot of Zoom Campbell back in the 90’s. Some of you will remember him.

I do remember Zoom ... :dunno:
To be fair Dan hasn’t really got into threatening other pilots.

Lately his videos seem to be mostly Clickbait to tell you that the next video will have something interesting. Kind of boring really.

Lately his videos seem to be mostly Clickbait to tell you that the next video will have something interesting. Kind of boring really.

I gave up on Dan. I never watched him a lot but at one time he seemed to be trying to make a reasonable difference. Lately, as you noted, it seems to be more about clickbait and becoming a large Y-Tube personality. Perhaps it's the money or the supposed fame but he has gotten too far off the rails for me.

As for Zoom ... I remember when him and Chuck from CGS were going at it! As Archie & Edith would sing, "those were the days!" :rofl:

And yet, him and the AirWagner guy, you people keep watching them, giving them clicks and recognition they clearly don’t deserve.

You will have to elaborate on "slandering the deceased". Give me some context so I know what you are referring to. I have heard him say things about bad pilots doing stupid things that kill innocent people....if that is what you are talking about by "slander", then we will just disagree. Dying by doing something stupid does not absolve one of criticism, in my opinion.

I'm not going to go back and watch any of the videos to verify this, and it has been a while since I have, but I'm pretty sure I've heard him several times making conclusions and calling out the pilots for doing stupid things almost immediately after the incident. Like, before any of the facts are really known. As someone who has actually participated in mishap investigations of various sorts, you NEVER know what happened until you get all the information. Even then, often you don't really know what happened. Calling pilots stupid or unsafe before all the facts are known is irresponsible, does not enhance air safety, and is disrespectful to the pilot and those that care about him or her.

And yet, him and the AirWagner guy, you people keep watching them, giving them clicks and recognition they clearly don’t deserve.

I'd say that most of us in this thread that have said we have a problem with his videos have also said we don't watch them any more.

...I'd say that most of us in this thread that have said we have a problem with his videos have also said we don't watch them any more.
I never even heard of him until this thread. I thought about watching one of his videos to see what this was all about, but I can't bring myself to do it.

I’m through with watching anything DG. He behaves like a Blowhard seeking a political position. Nope, I won’t give him my time.

The clickbait thing ("watch the next video for learn the details") and the lack of respect for other pilots does it for me.

Dan's vid on the 737 Max and the indictment of Boeing's Chief test pilot is spot on. That guy is simply a whipping boy to protect the higher-ups at Boeing who don't like orange.

Dan's vid on the 737 Max and the indictment of Boeing's Chief test pilot is spot on. That guy is simply a whipping boy to protect the higher-ups at Boeing who don't like orange.
Maybe you’re in a position to know, but I seriously doubt Dan is. He isn’t an investigative journalist; he’s a narcissist with a camera who pulls theories out of his behind to get clicks on his channel. Maybe he’s right about the Chief test pilot. Maybe he’s not. I don’t know, and I’d bet he doesn’t, either.

I liked Dan's safety videos, especially the one with Flight chops. I liked some of the videos right after that. But Dan has jumped the shark, I don't watch anymore.

He started out interesting and he has a few informative videos with good analysis. But when he started celebrating the deaths of the church people and then blamed the California twinkie crash on vaccines that was it for me.

I'm gonna say I agree... but more than that, he's holding the FAA accountable, which we know won't happen in a real way under any modern administration.
This is my favorite Dan Gryder video to date.

I don't have any special access to information, but there are reports that the indictment was brought in Texas, where the AUSA was packing a golden parachute to land at the law firm which represented Boeing. So, the implication is that if you let our corporate leadership skate, we'll give you this sacrificial lamb and a lucrative job. The level of corruption in the JustUs Department is breathtaking.

I don't have any special access to information, but there are reports that the indictment was brought in Texas, where the AUSA was packing a golden parachute to land at the law firm which represented Boeing. So, the implication is that if you let our corporate leadership skate, we'll give you this sacrificial lamb and a lucrative job. The level of corruption in the JustUs Department is breathtaking.

Yup, Justice department, FBI, NSA, and CIA all need to be dismantled and redone or eliminated, too much corruption.

Forkner was not a test pilot, let alone the chief test pilot.

No it is not! I don't think anyone here is implying that it is humor to slander deceased.

From what I have heard him say its criticism of the actions pilots may have taken. That is not slander. Granted it is a sensitive area but not off limits.

As for his DC antics.... clearly he is anti establishment and someone ticked him off. There is a lot of that going on nowadays...and we judge him?

But pilots used to be rebels, risk takers, questioning status quo. Now its please don't discuss a crash. It is offensive.
I find it offensive that NTSB, FAA will take 2 years to do a report on a crash/site that they didn't bother to visit. We are not offended by the NTSB doing crappy work and blaming dead pilots? That is also slander... hidden in official reports. He challenges that, good for him....Like finding a carburetor at a crash site after the NTSB "investigated". Great investigation they did.

If that’s being a tool, we need more tools.

I’d wager Wilber, Jefferson and most aviation pioneers would be considered tools today too.

From NPR:

"On Oct. 14, the U.S. Department of Justice announced that a federal grand jury had criminally indicted Boeing’s former chief technical pilot for the 737 Max airplane, Mark Forkner, on fraud charges. The following day, Forkner pleaded not guilty, Reuters reported."

Okay, Chief Technical Pilot. How does that change the corruption?

quibble
verb

quib·ble | \ ˈkwi-bəl \
quibbled; quibbling\ ˈkwi-b(ə-)liŋ \
Definition of quibble
(Entry 1 of 2)

intransitive verb

1: to evade the point of an argument by caviling about words

Last edited:
From NPR:

"On Oct. 14, the U.S. Department of Justice announced that a federal grand jury had criminally indicted Boeing’s former chief technical pilot for the 737 Max airplane, Mark Forkner, on fraud charges. The following day, Forkner pleaded not guilty, Reuters reported."

Okay, Chief Technical Pilot. How does that change the corruption?

quibble
verb

quib·ble | \ ˈkwi-bəl \
quibbled; quibbling\ ˈkwi-b(ə-)liŋ \
Definition of quibble
(Entry 1 of 2)

intransitive verb

1: to evade the point of an argument by caviling about words
It may not change the corruption, but it changes the accuracy and reliability of the source.

See, "Quibble," supra.
Lol. You're defending a guy who claims to be able to divine the cause of aircraft accidents the day after they happen based on the scent of the wind, but accuse us of triffles for pointing out he can't get basic facts correct.

No, I'm saying that the prosecution of the Boeing pilot is the product of government corruption and corporate narcissism. I have read the basic arguments elsewhere, and I agree with Gryder on this one.

I kinda liked his youtube videos but then i started to notice he deletes all negative comments and all dislikes. so he has videos with thousands of likes, no dislikes and all the comments are praising him for wonderful content. So i decided to unsubscribe.

I kinda liked his youtube videos but then i started to notice he deletes all negative comments and all dislikes. so he has videos with thousands of likes, no dislikes and all the comments are praising him for wonderful content. So i decided to unsubscribe.
YT changed their "Dislike" thing last month; it no longer counts dislikes, so no video has them. Don't know why.

I don’t get the NTSB hate. A friend of mine died in a single pilot accident in rural CO; NTSB was on the scene within 48 hours - the crash site was not near any roads. Interviews with mechanics, instructors, first responders, copilots, family wittinesses etc were done promptly and with both professionalism and compassion. I feel like we get what we pay for, as with most things.

Preliminary report was published just a week or two later.

Obv a sample size if 1 but it tells me that there is too much work and not enough staff to do it.

Simple fix.

"D.B. Cooper Deep Family Secrets. Part 1" Two Hours and 48 minutes for part 1.
Seriously?
(No, I didn't watch)

Back