GFC 500 servo issues

Cherokee Flyer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Cherokee Flyer

• since installation, I've had continuous problems with servo failure on the GFC 500. Both pitch and roll have been replaced 3 and 2 times respectively.Garmin has covered the replacement but i've paid for the labor. It's a great autopilot when it's working but I can't trust it. Revisions on installation drawings and the fact that Garmin covers the replacements (after warranty expiration) make me wonder too.
    Message yesterday was PFT; Servo hardware fault and Servo power supply fault. I shut down and restarted and it worked fine and passed the Pre Flight Test. Flew home and watched it for the whole trip. Worked perfect.
    Called the shop this morning and will have them go over the analytic card,of course, but wondering if anybody else has any issues at all?

This has been mentioned over on Beechtalk…big G definitely has a quality issue with the 500 servos.

Garmin replaced all my Servos in my 182 after I had a failure. Was told they had a bad batch of servos and mine was on the list. Haven't had any issues since knock on wood.

Garmin replaced all my Servos in my 182 after I had a failure. Was told they had a bad batch of servos and mine was on the list. Haven't had any issues since knock on wood.
How many hours on the new servos?

What make and model aircraft?

• since installation, I've had continuous problems with servo failure on the GFC 500. Both pitch and roll have been replaced 3 and 2 times respectively.Garmin has covered the replacement but i've paid for the labor. It's a great autopilot when it's working but I can't trust it. Revisions on installation drawings and the fact that Garmin covers the replacements (after warranty expiration) make me wonder too.
    Message yesterday was PFT; Servo hardware fault and Servo power supply fault. I shut down and restarted and it worked fine and passed the Pre Flight Test. Flew home and watched it for the whole trip. Worked perfect.
    Called the shop this morning and will have them go over the analytic card,of course, but wondering if anybody else has any issues at all?
There was a previous discussion on this topic that listed the servo serial numbers involved. Have had no issues with ours.

Our airplane is a Cherokee 180 C. Both first servos that were replaced and were definitely on the list. The installation was the first generation GFC 500 and they knew there was a problem. The later servos were also flagged and were replaced for free despite being out of warranty.
There is a revised installation design (involving cable routing around the pully), but we called Garmin and they said we were ok with the original. We will look at that closer now. We're also looking at the static system closer because it's old plumbing. I don't know which servo failed this time because we haven't analyzed the mini yet. but the last one that was replaced was the pitch servo and thats got about 30 hours on it since the replacement. Originally, I also had 1 of the G5s fail. They replaced that too. The heading "wandered" and the GFC 500 would fail. There's redundancy because of the 2 G5's so flipped the HSI/DG to the Attitude indicator and the auto pilot came back on line.

Don't have exact numbers in front of me, but I'd say under 50hrs.

Okay then, that’s not really a good testimony. I’ve heard 2 years for frequent flyers (well over 100 hours per year) and multiple servos need replacing.

I have about 60 hrs on my GFC500 since installation 09/15/21. I have had no issues with my servos. Maybe because newer servos?

Back