FlyQ Ver 6

FWoodII

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
FWood
Anyone else have problems with FlyQ Ver 6?

I know their FlyQ Insight app has been having issues for a while now

I’ve been w 6.0.0 since it first was released. No issues (other than intermittent self plane, which I’ve just learned to live with). I’m VFR only so some utility not used.
What sort of “problems” you got?

……and I’ve found their tech support quite responsive and helpful.

Can you be more specific on what problem your having? What platform are you running it on?

Quit using FlyQ since they can’t figure out how to handle updating the database prior to expiration of the previous cycle. This can be a big issue on a trip.

Can you be more specific on what problem your having? What platform are you running it on?

It will not call up a saved flight plan, can not delete a way point from the the flight plan, can not change flight plan altitude unless you use the wind optimizer while connected to wifi and/or cellular. If you turn both of those off you can do all that. The radar will only animate form 4.5 hours in the past to 2 hours in the past. As for tech support, 1st contact 3 months ago, sometimes they reply, sometimes they don't and when they do they say that they are working it.

I am using a IPAd 10.7 7th gen iOS 14.8

Just try to see what work arounds everyone is doing

It will not call up a saved flight plan, can not delete a way point from the the flight plan, can not change flight plan altitude unless you use the wind optimizer while connected to wifi and/or cellular. If you turn both of those off you can do all that. The radar will only animate form 4.5 hours in the past to 2 hours in the past. As for tech support, 1st contact 3 months ago, sometimes they reply, sometimes they don't and when they do they say that they are working it.

I am using a IPAd 10.7 7th gen iOS 14.8

Just try to see what work arounds everyone is doing

I’m running 6 on an iPhone and iPad and have not seen the flight plan issues on a flight last week. That iPad has 6.0.1 but not iOS 15. however, I just tried by starting disconnecting from the net, and like you I can’t get to saved flight plans and only get the spinning thing.

the radar animation only updates while connected to the internet. If your flying you only get the current ADSB data. The manual could be clearer on that.

I was also a big Fly-Q supporter but their refusal to work with Garmin lost its charm when I re-equipped the Lance.

I also got stuck on a long trip with expired data and had to sit on an airport ramp and chew up cellular data to get going. Had they figured out how to load upcoming expired charts just a few days in advance it would have not been an event. (In 2016 chewing cellular data was more of an OUCH!)

I don’t see them ever competing properly against FF or GP unless they sort themselves out.

I was also a big Fly-Q supporter but their refusal to work with Garmin lost its charm when I re-equipped the Lance.

I also got stuck on a long trip with expired data and had to sit on an airport ramp and chew up cellular data to get going. Had they figured out how to load upcoming expired charts just a few days in advance it would have not been an event. (In 2016 chewing cellular data was more of an OUCH!)

I don’t see them ever competing properly against FF or GP unless they sort themselves out.

I may be missing something, but I believe it's the other way around when it comes to not integrating with Garmin. I was encouraged by the FlyQ people to contact Garmin and let them know that they should work with FlyQ to allow the same integration that Foreflight has. My response from Garmin was simply that FlyQ was not compatible with their products. Well no kidding, that's why I wrote them the email.

As far as outdated data, I have always updated my data as soon as FlyQ sends out their email saying new updates are available and it has always been long before anything was set to expire. I don't want to sound like I'm advertising for them or anything, but as an option to the Foreflight monopoly, FlyQ has always been a solid platform for me.

The FlyQ web version sort of went haywire and I got no help with it. Previously, the left window would populate with the airports on the right screen map. Not anymore. And the map itself would remember the last view, including the requests for the TFRs and such. Not anymore. You have to check everything as an option. Odd that they couldn't figure out a cookie or something to save that information. Asked the tech help on it and never heard back other than they forwarded it. Since they were bought out, the web version seems to be an orphan for local flying use.

As far as outdated data, I have always updated my data as soon as FlyQ sends out their email saying new updates are available and it has always been long before anything was set to expire. I don't want to sound like I'm advertising for them or anything, but as an option to the Foreflight monopoly, FlyQ has always been a solid platform for me.

Which means that your flying with incorrect data. Might not be a big issue most of the time, but when a frequency change or airspace change happens you don’t have the correct information. Just the same as if you are using out of date data..

I never felt the web portal was a finished product. I still like the app and hope they continue to polish it. FlyQ has crashed in flight too many times to count, on two different iPads. The web portal would be nice if it was reliable and more tightly integrated with the app.
I have a lifetime membership but if this thing quits while I'm flying in IMC I might be ****ed off enough to switch to something else.

FlyQ is actually my backup EFB because Garmin Pilot has crashed on me too many times. All these things have flaws.

I had the lifetime sub to FlyQ before I switched so I didn't have to add it to backup GP.

You may have already done so, but the remedy I found was to ignore your own tail number in the settings.
So far no more ghosts...
Did that…..and also ignored an ADSB number (or some such) as suggested by tech support….only partial improvement.

Back