Flightaware times vs. Flight plan times

RussR

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Russ
I file a flight plan. (Using Foreflight, but I don't think that matters.) when it shows up on Flightaware, the departure and arrival times aren't what I entered.

This has caused confusion in the past, if I'm going to meet someone. "I thought you said you were going to arrive at 11, but flightaware is saying 11:15". Obviously, this has the potential to cause a bit of a problem for me if the person I'm picking up is paying me and expects me to be there on time.

This time difference seems to happen every time I file.

For today's example, I filed for a 9 AM departure and 1:44 ETE:

upload_2021-10-25_7-33-17.png

But Flightaware shows it as a 9:10 departure and 1:59 enroute for a 11:09 arrival.

upload_2021-10-25_7-37-42.png

Now, as I'm typing this, I do think I figured out the difference in enroute time. Flightaware seems to be reflecting the route that the ATC computer sent back, which has me backtrack to the nearest VOR the almost retrace my steps back to a fix near my departure airport before heading to my destination. It must do some math based on distance and filed speed, I guess. So that would explain the added time.

But why the 10 minute difference on takeoff time? Is it assuming we're all airliners and that our filed "departure time" is our push-back time?

(I may have asked this question a couple of years ago, but I couldn't find it here, so may it was somewhere else. And maybe the situation has changed - regardless, I don't remember getting a very satisfying answer wherever it was I asked it.)

Does Flightaware use ATC data or ADS-B data ? How accurate are the times if you fly a local flight without a flight plan ?

FlightAware lets you pick whether you want to display gate or runway arrival times. The default is gate time. I’d bet switching it to Runway would make it line up.

9DCCA9EA-C005-466B-96D7-C2966028DF79.jpeg

Like Bluesky said, it adds taxi times as if you're an airliner.

Btw, Flightaware will even make it look like you're in the air when you aren't. I was all ready to go last Thursday with my clearance in hand when my alternator decided to die. Had to tell ATC I was canceling and went back to the FBO. Flightaware went ahead and showed me in the air with "estimated" position and time. Creepy.

I guess this brings up another question then.

When I file a flight plan for 0800, I take it to mean that I plan to takeoff at 0800. Not start engines at 0800 or something else. Now, of course, Part 91 it doesn't matter if I miss my time, by 0800 is my goal for rolling down the runway.

I assume this is true for most others, but I could be wrong.

For the airlines, when they file a flight plan, is it for a proposed takeoff time, or is for the pushback time? We all know that the times on the airline website are for pushback and then arrival at the gate. But what about the actual flight plans?

Or, I suppose, is Flightaware pulling data from some source that assumes that the "departure" time is the pushback time?

FlightAware lets you pick whether you want to display gate or runway arrival times. The default is gate time. I’d bet switching it to Runway would make it line up.

I don't see that option on either the Android version of the app or the web site. Am I missing it?

For the airlines, when they file a flight plan, is it for a proposed takeoff time, or is for the pushback time? We all know that the times on the airline website are for pushback and then arrival at the gate. But what about the actual flight plans?

It is takeoff time.

I think those settings only apply to flights you are tracking. For the OP - the person who was using FA to track your flight would need to make that change. I see no way to make that a default for my aircraft?

I guess this brings up another question then.

When I file a flight plan for 0800, I take it to mean that I plan to takeoff at 0800. Not start engines at 0800 or something else. Now, of course, Part 91 it doesn't matter if I miss my time, by 0800 is my goal for rolling down the runway.
Or, I suppose, is Flightaware pulling data from some source that assumes that the "departure" time is the pushback time?[/
At the airline I worked for the flight plan time was pushback time. At the Fractional that I now work for the flight plan time is 30 minutes before scheduled departure time, just in case the passengers show up early.

How about, "Flight Aware is inaccurate", if I tell you 11, I will be there at 11.

That's what I've had to resort to, of course, but it sure would be nice if a popular flight tracker actually showed the times I filed...

I’m a passenger today and someone pointed out a strange flight on the departure board.

C98EB3B2-D8C8-4B60-AD3B-D31B3A0C191C.jpeg

The one without an airline or gate is actually a UND Warrior, which would be NDU22, “Sioux 22.” I’m guessing that the flight board software picks up any filed flight plans with a call sign other than a plain tail number and doesn’t filter to scheduled air carriers, although it seems to filter out cargo flights.

Yes, I am trying to figure out how to get an assigned call sign so I can have some fun with this knowledge.

Anyhow, FlightAware gave the scheduled departure time as 9:00. The board showed 8:50. No idea what the pilot actually filed. This was 4 hours before the flight so it wouldn’t be affected by actual clearance times, only what was filed.

Just a data point that made me think of this thread. Not sure what it means for filed vs. FlightAware times.

I’m a passenger today and someone pointed out a strange flight on the departure board.

View attachment 101314

The one without an airline or gate is actually a UND Warrior, which would be NDU22, “Sioux 22.” I’m guessing that the flight board software picks up any filed flight plans with a call sign other than a plain tail number and doesn’t filter to scheduled air carriers, although it seems to filter out cargo flights.

Yes, I am trying to figure out how to get an assigned call sign so I can have some fun with this knowledge.

Anyhow, FlightAware gave the scheduled departure time as 9:00. The board showed 8:50. No idea what the pilot actually filed. This was 4 hours before the flight so it wouldn’t be affected by actual clearance times, only what was filed.

Just a data point that made me think of this thread. Not sure what it means for filed vs. FlightAware times.
Start flying Angel Flights and get a Compassion callsign.

Back