First flight with mono vision

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
Well I just got back from my first flight since loosing sight in my right eye. TO and flight maneuvers went well.

I just did 1 full stop landing to see what the sight picture would be. A CFI friend was with me. Depth perception was off 4 feet or so. I kept waiting for the wheels to touch felt the plane start to sink added power and made a smooth landing.

It's going to take a few more sessions with Joe before I will feel comfortable flying solo but it's a start...

Very nice to hear! There are reasons for things that happen and understanding why may never happen.

It's just heartwarming to see you turn a negative into a positive.

Perhaps somewhere down the road your experience will be needed by someone else ...

Very nice to hear! There are reasons for things that happen and understanding why may never happen.

It's just heartwarming to see you turn a negative into a positive.

Perhaps somewhere down the road your experience will be needed by someone else ...
Thanks, it's been hard but I'm moving forward. Just finished the annual on the Sport Monday....:)

Yay, you flew! I’m sure it felt strange but it’ll get better.

I thought about you this week, as I had the start of a retinal detachment in my other eye. It’s been nine years since the first one and I have become complacent. But day before yesterday I ended up having laser beams shot into my right eye. I hope it holds. I’m sure you of all people understand how much I hate this. I wish yours would have been a better outcome. But I’m glad you’re flying again!

So it sounds like you're going to go up again. Progress! I hope it becomes second nature so you can keep flying as much as you want.

I can tell you that it will become a "new normal". You won't even think about it after a while.

I became legally blind in one eye when I was 15. Flying has never been a problem.

Wish I could say the same for shooting skeet. :-(

So it sounds like you're going to go up again. Progress! I hope it becomes second nature so you can keep flying as much as you want.
Baby steps at first, it's been 10 months since I have flown. Felt good, to be in the air again.

I can tell you that it will become a "new normal". You won't even think about it after a while.

I became legally blind in one eye when I was 15. Flying has never been a problem.

Good to here, thanks for the encouragement.

Sounds like a resounding success to me, congratulations!
Joe the CFI said the same thing...

Awesome news!! Very happy for you
Thanks

Yay, you flew! I’m sure it felt strange but it’ll get better.

I thought about you this week, as I had the start of a retinal detachment in my other eye. It’s been nine years since the first one and I have become complacent. But day before yesterday I ended up having laser beams shot into my right eye. I hope it holds. I’m sure you of all people understand how much I hate this. I wish yours would have been a better outcome. But I’m glad you’re flying again!
I hope you have a complete and fast recovery..

I knew several mono's. I flew with one occasionally. He was my co-pilot at times and at times he was a check airman and gave me my six month rides. Once he gave me a type rating. He went to work for the FAA. He owned a Citabria. He had no problems whatso ever with airmanship.

Hey at least you'll never have a problem looking over the sights with the wrong eye.

It's going to take a few more sessions with Joe before I will feel comfortable flying solo but it's a start...

Adapt and overcome, keep on moving forward.!!

(are ya going to get a parrot to ride on your shoulder.?? train him to start squawking when your about 4 feet off the ground...)

My brother has been that way his whole life, never really knew what "depth perception" was. But getting used to it has to be tough. I tried to do "mono vision" of a sort (at least that's the term they use for it) with contacts once where you wear one for distance and one for near and I just could never get used to it. I think maybe I gave up too soon because I know a lot of people do it and say that after a time it doesn't bother them.

Congratulations on getting back to flying . It will come together .

Do you have to do a SODA?

Congrats. Glad to hear/read that’s possible to get a medical with loss of vision in one eye. Keep up the good work.

God bless basic med…for me it’s just easier…in my now risk avoidance days…and this is a perfect example of why it’s a good thing…congrats again!

My hat's off to you. I had my left eye sewn shut for a couple of months as a result of a skin cancer repair. I didn't even try to drive one-eyed.
Good Show!

I would probably go ahead and get the SODA. One of the things the Doctor is supposed to check for a basic med is field of vision. There is no problem getting a SODA for mono vision.

I would probably go ahead and get the SODA. One of the things the Doctor is supposed to check for a basic med is field of vision. There is no problem getting a SODA for mono vision.

Can he get the SODA without having to get a fresh 3rd class? And if Basic meets his needs, why fool with the SODA? I would avoid any unnecessary FAA involvement.

Woot woot!
Watch out, left seat, Bill's a'comin'...!

First of all thanks for all the "well wishes".

It's been a year since my injury. A very long year, spent 2 months in a hotel in Seattle during the height of the pandemic. Doctor appointments every week. Had to take the ferry home, 3 day journey because they put a gas in my eye during surgery and I could not fly because the pressure changes. Back and forth between Seattle and Juneau every month for follow up appointments since February.

I have flown twice with the CFI, depth perception during landing is what we have been working on. Joe, the CFI is very happy with my progression and said he would sign me off for a current FR. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and we can do the FR in the next week or two.

Moved the Sport into a different hangar last weekend. Bigger hangar for only $350/mo. My hangar partner has a 172, it's a little tight getting the planes in and out. We are still sorting out the best way to park, hangar door width is the issue.

Talked to an AME, he said get a Basic Med. It would take months to get a special 3rd class medical and SODA flight.

As a one eyed flight instructor I find things work out well if I consciously shift my focus from my aiming point to all the way down the runway at about 20 feet above the ground.

I advocate for the same procedure for learners with both eyes.

I find the runway sort of wraps itself around me as I get near the ground.

I became blind as an adult from a motorcycle accident so I had to learn how to manage things.

I fly with a SODA for both my monocular vision and a traumatic brain injury.

My father, Vance Breese, a well-known test pilot in the thirties and forties was blind in one eye from childhood and was known for his visual precision.

I wish you all the best on your continuing aviation adventure.

Attachments

• North-American-Aviation-NA-73X-NX19998-prototype-of-P-51-Mustang.jpg
    North-American-Aviation-NA-73X-NX19998-prototype-of-P-51-Mustang.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 15
I'm stoked, Joe my CFI have been trying for weeks to set a time for FR. His work (med pilot flying Lear), my work and weather has not lined up. Taking Tuesday off the get the FR done...:)

Looks like all the stars are lining up...:rolleyes:

Small set back. Joe my CFI needs to travel Tuesday to TX for training with his company Life Med. So no FR Tuesday....:( Oh well we will get it done just not next week. To bad weather was suppose to cooperate. Looking forward to getting FR done and flying PIC soon...

Back