Is Dan Gryder the biggest asset to aviation on youtube?

My favorite is the advertisements that pop up after I've already purchased something.

You're late, smarty pants algorithm!
On Facebook, I've noticed an option to tell it that I have already made a purchase.

Dan knows he'll be rewarded for being controversial; you've gotten folks to check him out with this post!
Most of us have had strong opinions (you should have heard the talk after Kennedy and Denver screwed their respective pooches) that, when voiced, may make us appear to be something we're not.
(I am reminded of a famous radio talk show host, who died recently of lung cancer. His approach changed dramatically from three decades ago to the most recent times; he knew how to get the audience he wanted.)
Even around here, the most contentious threads usually have the highest post count. ;)

Matt Guttmiller, CitationMax, and the Cirrus guy who writes in all CAPITAL LETTERS and each flight is a near catastrophe "WE HIT TURBULENCE!" are the worst, imho. Actually the only flying YouTube I enjoy are ASF, anything by Paul Bertorelli, Blancolirio, and Fastback Flying - I can do without all the "SMASH THE LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE BUTTON" and the social media posturing

Peter isn't putting up new videos so some people need someone else to hate on.

Matt Guttmiller, CitationMax, and the Cirrus guy who writes in all CAPITAL LETTERS and each flight is a near catastrophe "WE HIT TURBULENCE!" are the worst, imho. Actually the only flying YouTube I enjoy are ASF, anything by Paul Bertorelli, Blancolirio, and Fastback Flying - I can do without all the "SMASH THE LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE BUTTON" and the social media posturing
My favorite is that they all host each other as celebrity guests. A giant pat each other on the back circle. Yawn.

ASF and Mike Busch (Savvy Aviation) are the best on youtube for getting useful information, IMHO. I like Mike Busch because he is so modest and his videos are old school - its just his voice narrating behind power point slides. But he is a great resources for information.

Yep. It's an act, a persona. Acting weird and doing un-serious things in a serious environment gets views. You tube is about the views.

It's like the guy on the corner talking to himself about how the electric company is sending him messages through the high tension wires above his trailer. It's craziness, but it's also entertaining, so you listen for a while...

It really does make me wonder what I (and my daughter) have been watching that would cause this to be recommended for each of us.
Why wonder? Just enjoy the bonding moment with your daughter!

(said the guy who has gotten a can cozy that says “I <heart> to fart”, a book with sounds called “Farts, a spotter’s guide”, and a guide to analyzing your poop from his daughters)

by the way, two of my daughters work at swimming pools, so I just sent them this one, asking if it was a normal day at work for them...

It just increment its “our ads are effective” counter.
It has the desired effect of stopping me from seeing the same ad repeatedly; that's all I care about.

"Is Dan Gryder the biggest tool on aviation youtube?"

Seriously, is there much on aviation YouTube that isn't idiotic? I'll make exceptions for ASF and maybe the Savvy maintenance videos, but everything there by individual "influencers" is such garbage that it makes even the rants in forums like this one look like thoughtful lectures by Wolfgang Langwiesche, Leighton Collins, etc in comparison.

LOL! He must have just got done watching "Just Plane Silly" Bryan!!!!

Actually, the biggest class of oafs in YT are anybody on any political channel.

Aviation blowhards rank significantly lower on the scale of jerkdom.

Cheers
Don't forget the pandemic "experts" — they make even the politicos look decent in comparison. I guess the aviation "influencer" dufuses on YouTube are relatively harmless in the greater scheme of things.

Pretty sure I heard Juan (Blancolirio) mention on his video this week on the MD87 that he was "talking" to Dan Grider about it.

Dan was adamant in his video this week that the MD87 "flew" to the crash site, yet there are skid marks from the last 500' of runway all the way to the crash site. Juan correctly pointed this out in his video.

I like the videos done with Aviation101 but other then that he is off the deep end. I no longer watch his videos after he trashed a pilot immediately after a fatal with not even an initial report out. One should at the very least have respect and show sympathy for the families left to deal with the outcome of such an event. Obviously he has no class.
He has had some decent advise from time to time, but he seems to be kinda full of himself. He went off the deep end on the Smyrna crash, trashing the victims instead of just focusing on what went wrong.

(said the guy who has gotten a can cozy that says “I <heart> to fart”, a book with sounds called “Farts, a spotter’s guide”, and a guide to analyzing your poop from his daughters)

by the way, two of my daughters work at swimming pools, so I just sent them this one, asking if it was a normal day at work for them...
Dear god…
I wasted an entire minute of my life watching that.

that was the most fun 1 minute video I've seen in a long time! :happydance: actually it was only 30 seconds long, but whatevs.

To answer the question. NO!
Can he be an ass? YES. Is he a perfect individual? Hell No, but none of us are. Can he be offensive at times sure. His detractors use this to knock him down...why?

Because he OFFENDS them.

I personally like that he is offensive. Is he always right nope...jumps to conclusions..sure...but at least he challenges the NTSB and the pilot community to think and demand more, in terms of safety and how we look at accidents.
I find him to be a bit of an entertainer/clown at times but that gets people to watch and perhaps learn a few things from the point of view of someone with experience in aviation. Some of his videos are spot on, informative, and he does have a lot of aviation experience which he shares with the aviation community. As many of you know NTSB report reading is very useful(NOT)...especially since they do not show up to a crash scene unless you "were" famous. Their conclusions are....as we all know: "Pilot failed to maintain control of the aircraft", even if the pilot jumped out without a parachute. So finding a different view is refreshing.

I also enjoy his analysis of useless books published by scammers...Love his Jason Shappert book evaluation.

So we can make fun of his tactics and his antics but I think we all benefit from the combination of a little humor and a "different" perspective.

JUST my opinion...of course. Is he that much different than the rest of us on POA commenting "prematurely" on accidents during the 2 years it takes the NTSB to say Pilot Failed to Maintain Control?
Ok back to Hippo Farts!

Can he be an ass? YES. Is he a perfect individual? Hell No, but none of us are. Can he be offensive at times sure. His detractors use this to knock him down...why?

Because he OFFENDS them.

I personally like that he is offensive. Is he always right nope...jumps to conclusions..sure...but at least he challenges the NTSB and the pilot community to think and demand more, in terms of safety and how we look at accidents.
I find him to be a bit of an entertainer/clown at times but that gets people to watch and perhaps learn a few things from the point of view of someone with experience in aviation. Some of his videos are spot on, informative, and he does have a lot of aviation experience which he shares with the aviation community. As many of you know NTSB report reading is very useful(NOT)...especially since they do not show up to a crash scene unless you "were" famous. Their conclusions are....as we all know: "Pilot failed to maintain control of the aircraft", even if the pilot jumped out without a parachute. So finding a different view is refreshing.

I also enjoy his analysis of useless books published by scammers...Love his Jason Shappert book evaluation.

So we can make fun of his tactics and his antics but I think we all benefit from the combination of a little humor and a "different" perspective.

JUST my opinion...of course. Is he that much different than the rest of us on POA commenting "prematurely" on accidents during the 2 years it takes the NTSB to say Pilot Failed to Maintain Control?
Ok back to Hippo Farts!

I couldn't disagree more with almost every one of your points.

I was gonna call DG a charlatan but maybe he has one redeeming quality. Then again a broken clock is right twice a day.

If you don't know what the quoted post refers to, JS was "giving away" his "free" book, just pay $19.99 for shipping :rolleyes:

Because he OFFENDS them.

Ok back to Hippo Farts!
Dan?

I'm still trying to figure out the three seashells in the little john spartan's room

Im way late to the party on this one AggieMike, but am I the only one who got the Demolition Man reference?? That makes me sad.

As for the actual topic at hand....I actually enjoy Dan Gryder. Entertaining in my opinion....and at least calls it as he sees it.

I also enjoy CitationMax. Seems like such a nice guy, what is there to dislike about him?

As for the actual topic at hand....I actually enjoy Dan Gryder. Entertaining in my opinion....and at least calls it as he sees it.

You (and others) are entertained by slandering of the deceased?

The guy gave a false name to police and threatened to run over police cars with a DC-3. This does not sound like the type of person I want to watch or take advice or learn from.

I've watched just enough of him to know that I have no desire to do so again.

You (and others) are entertained by slandering of the deceased?

The guy gave a false name to police and threatened to run over police cars with a DC-3. This does not sound like the type of person I want to watch or take advice or learn from.

I've watched just enough of him to know that I have no desire to do so again.

You will have to elaborate on "slandering the deceased". Give me some context so I know what you are referring to. I have heard him say things about bad pilots doing stupid things that kill innocent people....if that is what you are talking about by "slander", then we will just disagree. Dying by doing something stupid does not absolve one of criticism, in my opinion.

You will have to elaborate on "slandering the deceased". Give me some context so I know what you are referring to. I have heard him say things about bad pilots doing stupid things that kill innocent people....if that is what you are talking about by "slander", then we will just disagree. Dying by doing something stupid does not absolve one of criticism, in my opinion.

How would you feel if you were the family of a pilot who lost his life in a crash and saw a video Dan put up where he goes to great length to point out the blood of your family member on a picture of the wreckage?

Yup. Dan did that in one of his videos. Classless.

Spewing made-up ******** isn't "criticism."

!
I think you should list who you think is a bigger tool for comparison then.:dunno: IDK.

I've only seen a couple of vids about incidents that I was specifically interested in. After some personal attacks/innuendos or putting 2 and 2 together and getting 22 was enough for me.
For this specific subject matter I'd rather read a written report or listen to a person with next to zero "personality" added.

Back