Early Model Cirrus Flaw

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Early Cirrus have a flaw where the exhaust is too short and blows back right on to the belly.
It has always been stained (burned it turns out) but when we went hunting for what we thought was an oil leak we noticed that spot had become severally weakened.

Yup that hot exhaust has been toasting that spot for the last 20 years.
They now have an after market tip you can add but the repair is going on month 2 right now.

Cirrus had to custom design a solution and provide it to the shop doing the repair due to our irregular burn dimensions being slightly different than the normal burn pattern they are used to seeing.

IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0684.jpg

Resized_2001.jpg

Resized_2002.jpg

This $90 pipe would have prevented what is going to like cost around 5-10k

singleexhaust2.jpeg

At least they are responsive, cough couch vtail cough cough

Your dad still planning to sell it?

Wow, that sucks. Tell your dad to scout out G5s, increased load, perspective, 150 knot 50% flap speed. All good stuff.

And only six figures more!

Definitely more, but not six figures. The issue with Cirrus right now is that there are a lot of new pilots buying them up, then getting their PPL in them.
There was a 2020 (?) 22 Turbo someone put on FB for $1.15 million and some guy said he was interested. The market is nuts, but my biggest fear is we are going to see a rash of crashes due to inexperience or maybe less than spectacular training. I hope I'm wrong.

Definitely more, but not six figures. The issue with Cirrus right now is that there are a lot of new pilots buying them up, then getting their PPL in them.
There was a 2020 (?) 22 Turbo someone put on FB for $1.15 million and some guy said he was interested. The market is nuts, but my biggest fear is we are going to see a rash of crashes due to inexperience or maybe less than spectacular training. I hope I'm wrong.
Between the G3 (his wish) and the G5 there is nearly a quarter million difference on the ones I see on offer.

Between the G3 (his wish) and the G5 there is nearly a quarter million difference on the ones I see on offer.

I took "six figures" as almost a million more, a few hundred thousand, yes, I agree with that. I haven't looked in a bit, but I thought they were closer than $250k. The market is definitely a sellers market.

The newer Cirrus have metal plates to protect the plastic from the exhaust.

The newer Cirrus have metal plates to protect the plastic from the exhaust.

Ours has the metal plate. It is the area just beyond the plate that is damaged.

I think we get a bigger metal-plate now.

I am completely unable to figure out how an adequate test flight program did not reveal this problem prior to production. Further, I don't understand why Cirrus isn't paying for these repairs as it is an obvious design flaw.

It's feature not a bug. Cirrus to now advertise that their aircraft have a Blackstone griddle incorporated into the belly in case you need to cook pancakes and hash browns for in-flight meals.

Don’t park too close to the microwave or your airplane will **** its pants and forget who it is for a little while every time someone makes popcorn.

Back