Thinking about the new Jeep Wagoneer (rant)

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
Quite the original thread title, I know. :)

Somehow I have just become aware of the Jeep Wagoneer restart and I have to say, I’m not terribly impressed with it. It looks like a Tahoe/Suburban mated with a Lincoln Navigator, which unsurprisingly ruins any retro appearance that it should have.

When I first saw the new Ford Bronco press release, I thought how cool it looked and that it actually was a pretty nice modern rendition of the original. While I still wouldn’t kick one out of bed, they’re not as great as my initial thought, having seen them in person now. The Wagoneer on the other hand? C’mon Chrysler, you could’ve done a lot better! :mad2:

/rant over

/rant on/

$66k - $74k for the Wagoneer
$88k - $104k for the Grand Wagoneer.

Insane.

I am not paying more for an automobile than I paid for my first THREE airplanes combined.
Or more than I have paid for EVERY automobile I have ever owned combined (and I'm almost 60 years old).

Get off my lawn

/rant off/

I think there are two different broncos. A larger one and the sport. I've seen the sport, but don't think the other is out yet. I could be all wet on this, I'm basing this on info from a co-worker who has one of the new regular ones on order.

I have a feeling that Fiat is going to have a ride awakening on the Grand Wagoneer sales. I think most people will have a hard time justifying $100K for a Dodge/Jeep of any type that doesn't have "Viper ACR" on the data tag, lol.

I think there are two different broncos. A larger one and the sport. I've seen the sport, but don't think the other is out yet. I could be all wet on this, I'm basing this on info from a co-worker who has one of the new regular ones on order.
The Sport has been out for some time now. The Bronco (big one) is out now. I saw one a couple weeks ago out and about. Kind of neat, but nothing mind blowing.

I had an 88, and it was a nice truck, but I like my Xterra better. V6 vs V8, and the Bronco had higher payload and towing capacity, but the Xterra is quicker, more comfortable, handles better, and has plenty of room for me. Both solid in the snow or rough terrain. Too many of the current SUV's are really mini-vans with all wheel drive, or are way too heavy for their suspension system. Nothing wrong with that, but I'd rather have something a little harder to beat up, and not so soft.

I have a feeling that Fiat is going to have a ride awakening on the Grand Wagoneer sales. I think most people will have a hard time justifying $100K for a Dodge/Jeep of any type that doesn't have "Viper ACR" on the data tag, lol.

Fiat doesn’t own CDJR anymore. I work at a dealership, they will sell them as fast as they can build them.

Thread drift, but an interesting story.

Client of mine wrecked his 2020 Escalade last week (totaled). Went to the local (world renowned) Cadillac dealer to buy a new one, was told, "Ain't got 'em, not gonna have 'em for a long time." But, they said, "Our used car department has some."

Walked over to used cars. Data point: he bought the truck that got totaled new about a year and a half ago for $87,000.00. The used car folks had a nice 2020 Escalade, about 20,000 miles.

The ask?

$135,000.00.

Fiat doesn’t own CDJR anymore. I work at a dealership, they will sell them as fast as they can build them.
Well, Stellantis but my point was the FIAT quality influence on the brands. I just think the Grand Wagoneer will be a rare sight compared to their competitors like the Yukon Denali, Escalade, Range Rover, and Lincoln Navigator which all have established luxury brands. Going to be a hard sell to most of the Jeep-buying crowd.

Well, Stellantis but my point was the FIAT quality influence on the brands. I just think the Grand Wagoneer will be a rare sight compared to their competitors like the Yukon Denali, Escalade, Range Rover, and Lincoln Navigator which all have established luxury brands. Going to be a hard sell to most of the Jeep-buying crowd.

That’s the thing, they aren’t going after the jeep buying crowd. They are going after the luxury car crowd. It would take a post like one of Nate’s to explain the the whole thing. I will just say, I am EXTREMELY confident they will sell, and sell a lot.

If Toyota can sell the ancient 4Runner in these times at their asking price, people will jump all over this. I think the average Wrangler sells for over 45k. They once built an over the top Grand Cherokee that had practically every surface of the interior covered in leather. It didn’t really catch on.

unless something gives I’m officially out of the new car game for a long time. I’ve long held a 35k cap on any vehicle. That will barely buy a Civic these days.

Thread drift, but an interesting story.

Client of mine wrecked his 2020 Escalade last week (totaled). Went to the local (world renowned) Cadillac dealer to buy a new one, was told, "Ain't got 'em, not gonna have 'em for a long time." But, they said, "Our used car department has some."

Walked over to used cars. Data point: he bought the truck that got totaled new about a year and a half ago for $87,000.00. The used car folks had a nice 2020 Escalade, about 20,000 miles.

The ask?

$135,000.00.
Yep its insane. My old co worker sold his 2 year old truck to the dealer for 16k more than he bought it for. Spent 4 months looking and found a truck for msrp through some work program.

That’s the thing, they aren’t going after the jeep buying crowd. They are going after the luxury car crowd. It would take a post like one of Nate’s to explain the the whole thing. I will just say, I am EXTREMELY confident they will sell, and sell a lot.
But that's my argument: Land Rover/Range Rover buyers don't buy Jeep Wagoneers. Mercedes G-wagon buyers don't covet a Jeep. Cadillac Escalade owners probably don't, either. I'm not saying there won't be some people looking to buy the $100K Jeep, but I don't see them being pulled from many of the already-established luxury car brands.

Maybe they get some Denali owners or Infinti Q56/Toyota Land Cruiser guys.. Just my take on it.

If Toyota can sell the ancient 4Runner in these times at their asking price, people will jump all over this. I think the average Wrangler sells for over 45k. They once built an over the top Grand Cherokee that had practically every surface of the interior covered in leather. It didn’t really catch on.

unless something gives I’m officially out of the new car game for a long time. I’ve long held a 35k cap on any vehicle. That will barely buy a Civic these days.
I'm still there at the $35K cap lol. I can find a lot of 2018/2019 stuff with 30-40K miles for that price, but it's pretty much a lost cause for a new car. I bought a fully loaded every option 2008 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat back in March of 2008 for $30K even (sticker at $42K). Same truck today is a Platinum F-150 and sells for double that. It's absurd.

My folks had a Wagoneer Limited for a while when I was a teenager, that thing was sweet. This new thing was a huge let down.

....Maybe they get some Denali owners or Infinti Q56/Toyota Land Cruiser guys..
A Landcruiser owner going for anything Jeep, including the Wagoneer would be a rare sight IMHO! Well first they'll own the Landcruiser for 18yrs and 285K miles and by then there will be no fossil fuels left :(

What bothered me about the old Wagoneer's was the huge friggin transmission hump between driver and passenger. I rode 300miles as a passenger and my left leg was killing me having to cross it under my other leg for hours on end.

I miss my first suburban. Bench seat. Rear roll down window like my 4R. 454 cubic inches and the legacy great fold down rear seat to be able to haul plywood and sheetrock. My dog would be in total bliss riding up front on that bench seat!

My folks had a Wagoneer Limited for a while when I was a teenager, that thing was sweet. This new thing was a huge let down.
It’s disappointing to be honest. It doesn’t even look like the original Wagoneer at all, it’s just Jeep’s version of an Escalade/Navigator. Don’t revive a classic if you can’t pay homage to the original. Epic fail in my book and a real slap in the face to a classic!

That will barely buy a Civic these days.

Civic Si sedan. 205hp turbo engine, 6sp manual, upgraded sport suspension and brakes, adaptive dampers, dual zone auto climate, heated seats, upgraded stereo with subwoof, moonroof, carplay, ~$25k.

It's a fine value if fun great handling small cars are your thing.

Civic Si sedan. 205hp turbo engine, 6sp manual, upgraded sport suspension and brakes, adaptive dampers, dual zone auto climate, heated seats, upgraded stereo with subwoof, moonroof, carplay, ~$25k.

It's a fine value if fun great handling small cars are your thing.
I wouldn't mind one as a toy but the last thing I want in a daily driver is a "sport suspension". But that's a rant for a different thread lol. My ideal car would be a compact 4 door rwd that rides like an 80's cadillac with an LS7 under the hood and a Lexus Interior in any color other than black.

I wouldn't mind one as a toy but the last thing I want in a daily driver is a "sport suspension".

It's basically our town car, and I'll take it up to 2hrs one way from home. Further than that and we have a nice quiet Outback with a creamy smooth flat 6 engine.

As @RyanB said, the big one is out, too. This morning in T-Town.

1d2ef529361674ef0ac779fc2bb2e02c.jpg

f9e594bf497aa8131940606df17b513e.jpg

Last edited:
Sequoia does it for me. Large, rugged, roll down rear window. She does like to drink her fuel tho..

My FiL retired from Ford, I kinda have an inkling that I'll look at a stick shift full size Bronco next time. I can get them on the A/Z plan, real employee pricing.

My FiL retired from Ford, I kinda have an inkling that I'll look at a stick shift full size Bronco next time. I can get them on the A/Z plan, real employee pricing.

I was just looking at those last night. Do the full-sized Broncos have a manual option or only the Sport?

I was just looking at those last night. Do the full-sized Broncos have a manual option or only the Sport?

AFAIK, only the full size is available with stick shift, and only the turbo-4 has the stick. The twin turbo 6 is automatic only :-(

Still, the turbo 4 is 300+hp, that should be sufficient.

AFAIK, only the full size is available with stick shift, and only the turbo-4 has the stick. The twin turbo 6 is automatic only :-(

Still, the turbo 4 is 300+hp, that should be sufficient.

Laurie had a rental Mustang with the 2.3 turbo 4 on her last work trip. I was down visiting her for a bit and got to drive it some. We were both really impressed with the car and the engine. It doesn't feel underpowered at all, essentially no turbo lag, and really pretty quick. I even didn't mind the 10-speed automatic all that much, but the manual would be the way to go.

Frankly, and I know it surprises people to see The Ted post this, I wouldn't have any issues buying one with the turbo 4.

Laurie had a rental Mustang with the 2.3 turbo 4 on her last work trip. I was down visiting her for a bit and got to drive it some. We were both really impressed with the car and the engine. It doesn't feel underpowered at all, essentially no turbo lag, and really pretty quick. I even didn't mind the 10-speed automatic all that much, but the manual would be the way to go.

Frankly, and I know it surprises people to see The Ted post this, I wouldn't have any issues buying one with the turbo 4.
If you bolt two together, it becomes a v8.

Reactions: Ted
Decent used pickups are flying off the lots at well over the original selling price. I have seen used 3/4 tons priced in the $99,000 - $120,000 with almost 200,000 miles a couple of months ago.

I have a 2020 Ranger with the 2.3 Turbo in it. I would have had to beat my old 2005 F-150 with a 5.4 and 3.73 gears like a rented mule to get it to do the things that my Ranger will do with ease.

Wow!!! I really like the full size Bronco and thought they were reasonably priced, but forget that idea.
Look at the MSRP, not the ADM.
I’ve a Bronco on order with late 11/21 projected build date snd a dealer who promised no ADM.
Folks with early Bronco reservations are bad ****ed off by the antics of some stealerships.

They should make an aviation special addition and call it a Jeep Jerry Wagoneer

Doug has a review up

There's honesty very little I like about this car. It's a brand new car and one of the screens already did not work for his review

Styling sucks. No theme, just a big suburban.

I don't understand it, but that's just me I guess..

Back