Looks like Jay's still alive...

Went to high school with Jay.... Haven't seen him in a lot of years. Good to see him out and about....

Jay got the most raw airplane deal of anyone I've ever met. As soon as the Sport Pilot license came out he bought that Zenith. He had some issue that he thought prevented him for getting a 3rd class, never knew what it was. Tricked out the Zenith with the most cutting edge avionics he could buy at the time, I think he was going to be a Sport Pilot CFI. Spent gobs of money. And then the airframe wound up having an issue, flaps hinges, I think. He wound up having to sell the thing for a fraction of what he had in it, really got hosed. I don't know if he still does the Tron thing.

Jay got the most raw airplane deal of anyone I've ever met. As soon as the Sport Pilot license came out he bought that Zenith. He had some issue that he thought prevented him for getting a 3rd class, never knew what it was. Tricked out the Zenith with the most cutting edge avionics he could buy at the time, I think he was going to be a Sport Pilot CFI. Spent gobs of money. And then the airframe wound up having an issue, flaps hinges, I think. He wound up having to sell the thing for a fraction of what he had in it, really got hosed. I don't know if he still does the Tron thing.
Yup. I asked him in the comments over there if he was still flying and he said no, the Zenith went away at the 2008 downturn and he can't afford it now.

He said to wave hi to everyone here.

He still does the Tron thing ... Skip to the end of the video. Some funny quotes in there.

"I wanted to be remembered for my work... Instead I'll be remembered for how I look in tights." Lol.

He always kept his sense of humor about it all.

Yup. I asked him in the comments over there if he was still flying and he said no, the Zenith went away at the 2008 downturn and he can't afford it now.

He said to wave hi to everyone here.

He still does the Tron thing ... Skip to the end of the video. Some funny quotes in there.

"I wanted to be remembered for my work... Instead I'll be remembered for how I look in tights." Lol.

He always kept his sense of humor about it all.

That's good to hear. He's still welcome to post here and join in the fun.

Jay got the most raw airplane deal of anyone I've ever met.

Completely agree. His plane was really cool. I think he fairly correctly predicted the future as the hope for him was that one day he could fly instruments with it. Today, he could do that with BasicMed. He put a lot of hours on that plane in the time he had it, I want to say around 400 or so.

I think he was going to be a Sport Pilot CFI.

He completed that checkride and successfully became a sport pilot CFI. He did the checkride with a DPE, which at the time was not what you saw for initial CFI rides, but the FSDO allowed it as I guess they didn't have any inspectors who wanted to fly in an LSA. These days, it's become much more common, maybe even standard, for DPEs to do initial CFI rides.

Last time I saw him was when @tonycondon and Leah got married. Jay wasn't a guest at the wedding, but Tristan and I flew the Aztec up to have lunch with him.

Wow, before my time on POA but I've seen the meme of course. Small world.

Back