The neighbors tree is trying to kill my house

luvflyin

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Luvflyin
Not the whole house, just the sewer line. Big tree just on their side. The roots are messing up my sewer line. Not that they are getting into it, that's easy enough resolve. It's lifting it. Almost to the point of 'sheet don't run uphill' becoming a factor. What's the responsibility here? I know I can cut branches that cross the fence and it's the same with roots crossing the property line. But what about who pays. Is the tree owner, the neighbor, responsible.

It's all yours, at least it would be in Ohio. Of course, I have a backhoe, and would just fix the thing, but it would be quite costly to have someone come and do it. You also need to make sure that it is the root system lifting the thing, and not something else.

Im gonna go with its the same as a limb. In TX if its an "imminent threat." such as its dead and likely to fall on your stuff you can send notice and make it their problem. Otherwise its you against nature, stuff growing on your side of the line is your problem.
If you knew exactly where its at you might run a trencher beside it to severe the roots but it sounds like you're beyond that now.

I think it is your problem, but it wouldn't hurt (depending on your neighbor) to ask the neighbor if he will do anything about it, or at least split the cost. A butcher job could kill the tree. A good arborist might be able to save the tree.

Also consider what kind of tree is it? Our neighbor had a bunch of invasive trees sending roots everywhere. But he died and we bought the property and are in the process of removing all of the invasive trees, roots, vines and plants and replacing them with native trees and plants.

There's stuff you can buy to put into the septic system that's supposed to 'discourage' root growth in/near the landlines. Haven't used it - just saw it on a store shelf.

Somewhat similar issue, growing up, a neighbor sued my dad for $35 for a gallon of paint to repaint where a tree fell from our yard clipping his house. My dad didn't want to pay as he warned the guy for years it was going to happen as, given his downspouts, he was eroding our yard/rotting tree roots. It went to small claims court. My dad lost. In MD, if there's damage from a tree falling, the property where the tree resides is responsible. Liability depends on the laws in your state I imagine. If he's a decent guy, seems he should be willing to split remedy costs.

There's stuff you can buy to put into the septic system that's supposed to 'discourage' root growth in/near the landlines. Haven't used it - just saw it on a store shelf.
Copper Sulfate will kill roots that have penetrated a pipe, but if the roots are too big, it won't do any good to just kill them. And it won't help with the ground heaving under the pipe.

Im gonna go with its the same as a limb. In TX if its an "imminent threat." such as its dead and likely to fall on your stuff you can send notice and make it their problem. Otherwise its you against nature, stuff growing on your side of the line is your problem.
If you knew exactly where its at you might run a trencher beside it to severe the roots but it sounds like you're beyond that now.

Yup, I'd just get a smaller 4" trencher (rental usually less than $50 for a 4-hr stretch) and cut run a trench parallel to the sewer line halfway between the line and the tree. If it dies, it dies. I'm not saying efforts shouldn't be made to avoid harming the tree, but trees are cheap and plumbing work generally isn't.

Copper Sulfate will kill roots that have penetrated a pipe, but if the roots are too big, it won't do any good to just kill them. And it won't help with the ground heaving under the pipe.

Works well for keeping roots and such out of drain lines/septic, but as mentioned, it doesn't prevent roots from displacing the pipe itself. The active ingredient in most septic treatments is usually Copper Sulfate. I dump about a pound of pure copper sulfate treatment down our utility sink about once every other month because that one line runs out into the yard for some reason (likely a decision made long ago) and not through the septic system. Keeps the roots at bay and line drains well.

Yeah, seen that stuff and might use it after this problem is resolved. For now it's a an old and very big tree.

Somewhat similar issue, growing up, a neighbor sued my dad for $35 for a gallon of paint to repaint where a tree fell from our yard clipping his house. My dad didn't want to pay as he warned the guy for years it was going to happen as, given his downspouts, he was eroding our yard/rotting tree roots. It went to small claims court. My dad lost. In MD, if there's damage from a tree falling, the property where the tree resides is responsible. Liability depends on the laws in your state I imagine. If he's a decent guy, seems he should be willing to split remedy costs.
In Ohio, if an "act of God" causes my neighbor's tree to fall on my land, his liability ends at his property line! This happened to me when I lived in the city. At least I got some firewood. But if someone with authority (gov't or utility rep) lets you know that you have a bad tree (I had a 75 foot walnut that had a split, the power company's arborist gave me a note with that message), then you need to fix it, or you'll be liable if it causes damage. We had that walnut felled, which was costly, as it leaned over the neighbor's house.

I'd be worried about accidentally killing your neighbor's tree, the way things play out these days.

You can do anything you want to whatever part of the tree is on your side of the fence from a legal perspective. But that won't necessarily keep the peace.

The practical question is whether there is anything that can help the situation without eliminating the tree (whether it is just chopped down, or dies because you got a trencher after the roots)? Let's say you take out the tree. Does that help the drain line, or just stop further damage? Would it be cheaper to just relocate the drain line?

Maybe you have a case that "his" tree is damaging your property, so you point out the issue and make sure he knows that any additional damage will be his responsibility to fix. Otherwise, you're basically at the point of renting the ditch witch, killing the roots on your side, and telling him the <soon to be dead> tree is his responsibility, because it threatens your fence/property/safety/whatever.

You can do anything you want to whatever part of the tree is on your side of the fence from a legal perspective. But that won't necessarily keep the peace.

The practical question is whether there is anything that can help the situation without eliminating the tree (whether it is just chopped down, or dies because you got a trencher after the roots)? Let's say you take out the tree. Does that help the drain line, or just stop further damage? Would it be cheaper to just relocate the drain line?

Maybe you have a case that "his" tree is damaging your property, so you point out the issue and make sure he knows that any additional damage will be his responsibility to fix. Otherwise, you're basically at the point of renting the ditch witch, killing the roots on your side, and telling him the <soon to be dead> tree is his responsibility, because it threatens your fence/property/safety/whatever.
A tree can generally survive losing ~30% of its roots, so likely no issues.

Copper Sulfate...will kill the roots.

Copper Sulfate...will kill the roots.

But won't fix the problem. The damage to the waste line is already done. The spot that has been elevated by the roots will slow the water flow, and the solids will drop out. As they accumulate, the effect is magnified, and eventually the line will be blocked.

Then it's time to dig, and unfortunately the OP will be paying for it.

Perhaps repeated augering of the line will clear it as blockages occur, but the root growth will probably win the battle over time.

Copper sulfate.

You also need to make sure that it is the root system lifting the thing, and not something else.

Sandy: Carl I want you to kill all the gophers on the golf course

Carl Spackler: Correct me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers they'll lock me up and throw away the key.

Caddyshack (1980)

Back