What's your go-to Concealed Carry weapon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://atlanticfirearms.com/surplus-pistols?criteria[manufacturer]=10

bulgarian-makarov-9x18-pistol-surplus-arsenal-marked-black-park-finish.jpg

$519

Nice selection, kinda forgot it's much easier for people in other states to get handguns like this. Here in MA there is a very short approved list of handguns and only way you can get a Makarov here is to find one that was registered in the state before whatever date that law went into place (I think mid/late 90s). I hate this state...

Nice selection, kinda forgot it's much easier for people in other states to get handguns like this. Here in MA there is a very short approved list of handguns and only way you can get a Makarov here is to find one that was registered in the state before whatever date that law went into place (I think mid/late 90s). I hate this state...

Have you considered defecting to one of the free states?

;)

They do have some goofy rules, some worse than NY in that respect. That PA-63 is beautiful. The PPK is nice, reliable, accurate, and the wrap around the firing pin safety is incredibly solid. But it's really heavy, and not quick or easy to use that manual safety. Had one, sold it to a friend that loves it.

Been carrying since I was old enough, it’s what you’re used to, learned to shoot on my dads 1911 as a kid, all the auto pistols I’ve owned have been a single action auto, less a couple token strikers, a hammer fired auto feels like more of a extension of me than a plastic striker gun, but that’s just me. Agree, my underwear might not fit you :)

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map

It was refreshing to see how many pilots are into shooting
Not too surprising. There are no government programs to hand out planes to private citizens. If you get my drift.:biggrin:

I have a PA-63 in 9mm Mak and it’s one of my regular carry pieces. Also a poor man’s Walter PP.

View attachment 101123

How do you like the blowback design?
guess it’s more energy transferred into the wrist, but with the fixed barrel it’s more accurate

Can you get HSTs or a good defensive round for it?

I always liked the PPK, design, feel, but the 38 was too far behind the 9para in ballistics

How do you like the blowback design?
guess it’s more energy transferred into the wrist, but with the fixed barrel it’s more accurate

Can you get HSTs or a good defensive round for it?

I always liked the PPK, design, feel, but the 38 was too far behind the 9para in ballistics

I like the simplicity (hence reliability) and accuracy of the blowback design. But yeah, the kick has quite a snap to it. I wouldn't recommend the PA63 as a target pistol as it's pretty rough on the hand after 50 rounds or so, but as a defensive piece that's not really a concern.

The 9mm Makarov round (9x18) falls in between the .380ACP (9x17) and the 9mm Parabellum (9x19) ballistically, so it's not too bad. And you can get good self-defense ammo for it. I use Hornady Critical Defense https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/handgun/9-x-18mm-makarov-95-gr-ftx-critical-defense#!/ .

I really like my CZ75, but it's a lot of hardware to carry, so I don't. Ruger LC9, OTOH...

With the bears moving through town before winter sets in, these days I'm carrying a Glock 29.4 with hard cast ammo.

With the bears moving through town before winter sets in, these days I'm carrying a Glock 29.4 with hard cast ammo.

Being outside at night near the woods a friend that was talking to my brother on the phone mentioned that he was glad to have his Ruger LCP .380 with him in case of bears. My brother asked him how many rounds he had in it. "Seven" the man said. My brother advised him to shoot the bear six times. "Why only six?" he wanted to know. "Save that last one for yourself" he was told. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Being outside at night near the woods a friend that was talking to my brother on the phone mentioned that he was glad to have his Ruger LCP .380 with him in case of bears. My brother asked him how many rounds he had in it.

Another question is, “Have you filed down the front sight?”

Why? Because it won’t hurt as much when the bear shoves it up your….well, you get the idea.

I heard about a woman who saved herself from a grizzly attack with just a little .22 handgun. Shot her husband in the kneecap and ran.

I've heard of a grandma over on the Yukon who was picking berries when she was surprised by a big grizzly. She turned and ran, fired a .22 over her shoulder and kept going into town. No one believed her story of being chased by a bear, but on investigation there was indeed a monster grizz laying in the berry patch with a .22 hole in his mouth. True story.

The moral being that caliber is like real estate - it's all about location, location, location.

The moral being that caliber is like real estate - it's all about location, location, location
On one of my trips up north, I recall one event where a brown bear charged a small group who had only a shotgun with birdshot. 2 shots later it lay dead just past the group. Location. Also had an old guide say any pistol is better than your finger. Seems he was tracking a poorly shot bear in some alders when the bear swatted his rifle out his hands and he didnt carry a pistol at that time. Used his finger in the bears eyes until the client finished the bear. After that carried a couple extra in thick brush.

On one of my trips up north, I recall one event where a brown bear charged a small group who had only a shotgun with birdshot.

I had a flight instructor tell a story of bird hunting with a friend when a bear came out of the woods at them. His friend shouted, "that bear is gonna eat us!" The instructor reportedly fired both barrels of birdshot at the bear while yelling, "if he's gonna eat me, he'll eat me blind!" :dunno:

Fits 50 rounds nicely under a coat....

2AAB8872-FCD3-4913-9DAF-9EF80DB0E5EF-1915261.jpg

Perhaps a more reasonable option is the P365. It's a good little gun.

Does one with a fixed giggle switch count …. (Perks of being a SOT :s )

65078B13-B5A7-4B28-A0A2-D9DABB68A066.jpeg

But in all seriousness my go to is a glock, I also have a suppressed .22 ruger mk4 in FL after my uncle woke up with a cottonmouth on his porch.

Last edited:
Kahr CW 45 (6+1, 200 gr. Black Hills, LSWC)

Any opinions, felt recoil (same weight firearm) 9x19, 40 S&W, .45acp?

I had a flight instructor tell a story of bird hunting with a friend when a bear came out of the woods at them. His friend shouted, "that bear is gonna eat us!" The instructor reportedly fired both barrels of birdshot at the bear while yelling, "if he's gonna eat me, he'll eat me blind!" :dunno:
He should have shot his friend in the foot, then he'd not have to outrun the bear, only his friend.

It increases, from left to right, in that list. :)

That said, a lot depends on the loads and the guns being compared, even if comparing guns of similar weight. A heavier gun with a grip you can get your whole hand on will tend to be more controllable in any of those calibers, while the latest micro pocket wonder may go from ‘not bad’ to ‘almost unusable’ as the caliber goes up, plus you’ll gain valuable sight radius with the bigger gun. Lighter bullets at higher velocities tend to feel ‘snappier’ in recoil than slower heavier bullets.

got a youtube add yesterday for some sort of "non-lethal" handgun.
...I know, i know.....
but it set me to thinking about the
versatility....carrying when/where a "real" weapon isn't possible.... and might be better than nothing.
This particular one looked a bit bulky for concealed carry but doable. Maybe there are other makes or models that would be smaller
I forget the name of it now...
Anyway, rounds were either "kinetic" balls, or balls or teargas or pepper spray.... CO2 powered
I wonder.... ever considered anything like that?

Lighter bullets at higher velocities tend to feel ‘snappier’ in recoil than slower heavier bullets.

I never played football. My brother says it's the difference between being blocked by a guard, tight end, or running back.

Apples to apples, my personal perception is that the nine is snappy while the .45 gives a big strong shove. On paper .40 S&W is impressive, but seems worse than either. (Maybe it's just "the price you pay" for the combination of projectile weight and velocity?)

.45 ACP is about on par with the .40 S&W, but the .40 has a sharper kick. 9x19 isn't much, but felt recoil depends more on the pistol. For example a Browning Hi Power has a sharp, upward kick resultant from having a high barrel centerline. Glocks? HKP9s? Sig P226? pretty gentle.

He should have shot his friend in the foot, then he'd not have to outrun the bear, only his friend.

Well the story is told that when the bear came out of the woods his friend asked him if he could outrun a bear. He replied, "It ain't the bear I gotta outrun ..." o_O

For example a Browning Hi Power has a sharp, upward kick resultant from having a high barrel centerline. Glocks? HKP9s? Sig P226? pretty gentle.
Yes, for myself, one of the attributes of the Kahr is its relatively lower barrel centerline.

Forgive my ignorance, but what us thr significance?

US Supreme Court decision today striking down New York's restrictive gun permit legislation that required a showing of a need for a firearm before a handgun permit will be issued.

on topic: I haven't figure it out yet (hoping to get restrictions removed the next time I renew my LTC)... I'm leaning toward a S&W 9mm Shield... but I kind of like the S&W 686+ I have...

on topic: I haven't figure it out yet (hoping to get restrictions removed the next time I renew my LTC)... I'm leaning toward a S&W 9mm Shield... but I kind of like the S&W 686+ I have...

I (and my wife) recently went through about 10 different 9mm guns (S&W M&P Shield, EZ Shield, Taurus, Glock 17/19/19X, Sig P365, Beretta, Canik, Ruger, etc) at the range trying to find one for my wife. If you like the S&W Shield, take a look at their "EZ" line. They have a 9mm and a .380 and they both shoot really well and are incredibly easy to rack the slide and load the magazine. Great concealed carry size and shoot really well (little muzzle rise), the only downside is that it's single stack and has relatively lower capacity to many competitors (8 round mag). Wife is currently torn between the .380 and the 9mm, but I hope she goes with 9mm just so I don't have to keep another caliber of target and defensive rounds on-hand.

I would also consider the Sig P365 for a conceal carry gun as it shoots almost as well as the S&W EZ but is 1.5 stack so it has good capacity (10/12 round std mags). The only downside I had is that the magazines for the P365 are REALLY stiff to load. Like after the 4th/5th round your thumb is killing you! I've heard that it's just an issue of a new magazine spring and that it gets easier, but man it was tough (and was tough for the 5 other veteran shooters with me)!

For a home carry, I really like the Glock 19/19X. It's just to big for a CC gun.

Last edited:
I would also consider the Sig P365 for a conceal carry gun as it shoots almost as well as the S&W EZ but is 1.5 stack so it has good capacity (10/12 round std mags). The only downside I had is that the magazines for the P365 are REALLY stiff to load. Like after the 4th/5th round your thumb is killing you! I've heard that it's just an issue of a new magazine spring and that it gets easier, but man it was tough (and was tough for the 5 other veteran shooters with me)!
Check out the UPLULA. Makes it much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back