Adam Weiss

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kcmopilot
Considering a job in Plano.
What are the options for GA?
Seems like KTKI is a decent bet.
Can anyone comment on availability and lease rate?
Others?

thanks!

Plano describes a pretty big area, and it's one of the largest suburbs of Dallas. Is there a specific area you plan to stay?

Check Aero Country, T31. It's a nice airport, but I don't know about hangar availability.

Plano describes a pretty big area, and it's one of the largest suburbs of Dallas. Is there a specific area you plan to stay?
I haven’t picked an area. The job is at ABB on 601 Shiloh rd.
I’d want a 30 min commute or less.
Preferably 15 min or less to airport.

Check Aero Country, T31. It's a nice airport, but I don't know about hangar availability.
Very little if any…. And too many filled up with non-aviation uses.

And you’re correct, it is a nice airport.

McKinney is adding hangars to the north side. Talk to the folks at McKinney AirCenter.

I am in Denton if you ever want to link up and share stories and a bar tab.

Whew, hope you enjoy sprawl:) Picked a homestead yet? Everything around will have its good and bad so don't fear or favor any of the many smaller cities until you look more closely. HWY190 "The Bush" really opened and eased the commute east and SSE, you'll get more for your money and could be close to Mesquite HQZ or Rockwall F46. Both airports seem to be steadily/constantly growing,

Very little if any…. And too many filled up with non-aviation uses.

And you’re correct, it is a nice airport.

The issue of non-aviation use of hangars is maddening. I don't understand why airport managers don't crack down on this.

If you live south or east of there, you'll be mostly commuting against traffic. And good options for airports would be Mesquite, Dallas Exec, or Rockwall. Even Addison if you don't mind unreasonably busy.

The issue of non-aviation use of hangars is maddening. I don't understand why airport managers don't crack down on this.
Someone is at least, I was recently looking into Addison and their rates ($560mo smlT) are about 2X+ for non-aviation uses.

Rant - I don’t understand this either. It’s not they don’t know who they are. Even if it’s occupied by an airplane, if it’s out of annual 4 months they should be evicted. Kit builders with uncompleted planes should get the boot.

Rant - I don’t understand this either. It’s not they don’t know who they are. Even if it’s occupied by an airplane, if it’s out of annual 4 months they should be evicted. Kit builders with uncompleted planes should get the boot.
That all sounds good until the shoe's on the other foot, you've had an emergency, but you're paying your rent, and plan to have your plane back in annual in 5-6 months. And then there are times when a plane hits a more expensive or time consuming annual than you expect. And 'sides, it's actually not the airport's job to police annuals. Next thing you'll know they'll be telling you who to do the annual with, and then maybe they'll tell you that you can't have an airplane that doesn't have this or that installed. You do NOT want to go there bro.

Just heard back from KTKI.
For anyone else that might be interested:

They have a waitlist for T-hangars from several months to over a year.
T-hangars are $410/mo.
Shared hangar space is $572 - $618/mo.

Anywhere in the greater DFW area (and I mean from the Oklahoma border to Waco) is sparse of hangar space at a decent rate. I've been in discussion with a Municipal Airport about 30 minutes NW of Ft. Worth for over 6 months on a ground lease to build a hangar with an office for my company. I just recently built 30,000 sq ft of warehouse space 2 miles east of the airport and looking to put people and my plane closer to the warehouse.

I would be moving 10 employees from my current office, and the City Manager is still like "Yeah, not really interested" Five years ago I probably could have gotten a tax abatement on my warehouse and office for moving that much inventory and people, now they are trying to slow down the growth.

That all sounds good until the shoe's on the other foot, you've had an emergency, but you're paying your rent, and plan to have your plane back in annual in 5-6 months. And then there are times when a plane hits a more expensive or time consuming annual than you expect. And 'sides, it's actually not the airport's job to police annuals. Next thing you'll know they'll be telling you who to do the annual with, and then maybe they'll tell you that you can't have an airplane that doesn't have this or that installed. You do NOT want to go there bro.

Bogus argument. There are ferry permits, ferry pilots, and plenty of IAs. If the plane is under active repair, an accommodation can be made. Unfortunately there are hangar queens “under repair” for years sitting in hangars that will likely never fly again. If you can’t afford to up keep the plane it’s time for you to get out of the hangar and let someone else in the hangar.

...to each according to their needs? Eh Comrade? JK:loco:

Considering a job in Plano.
What are the options for GA?
Seems like KTKI is a decent bet.
Can anyone comment on availability and lease rate?
Others?

thanks!
Not sure if it might be too far for you but you may want to check out Grand Prairie (KGPM). You can take the George Bush Turnpike and be there in 20 minutes or so from Plano. I got a hangar there after only a 3 month wait a couple of years ago. Very reasonable rates too. They are fairly diligent on inspecting hangars for unqualified lessees. :)

Not sure if it might be too far for you but you may want to check out Grand Prairie (KGPM). You can take the George Bush Turnpike and be there in 20 minutes or so from Plano. I got a hangar there after only a 3 month wait a couple of years ago. Very reasonable rates too. They are fairly diligent on inspecting hangars for unqualified lessees. :)
Going as far as Grand Prairie then opens Arlington as an option but I would guess a healthy wait for space at either place.
Except for rush hours, construction or the random wreck I say D/FW has one of the most efficient highway networks for getting to one side or the other. So saying that, if you have to hangar don't overlook Lancaster in your search even if temporary while you wait for elsewhere. I dont know about availability but they have the lowest published rates in the metroplex that Ive seen. If you know the area you know why:devil:

the airport I’m based at prohibits not aviation use of a T hangar. Several airports in my area are doing the same thing. I actually had to prove I had a plane to even lease my hangar. So some airports are cracking down on this.

the airport I’m based at prohibits not aviation use of a T hangar. Several airports in my area are doing the same thing. I actually had to prove I had a plane to even lease my hangar. So some airports are cracking down on this.

And that's how it should work. I also agree with Clip4. If the aircraft is in pieces, surrounding by cardboard boxes full of parts, and everything has a good coating of dirt, the lease should be terminated. If there's no work being done to return a plane to service over, say, a six month period, same.

Airport managers should have the right to inspect hangars every six months or so to monitor compliance with the rules.

Why are small airports dying? No aviation activity. But it cannot be argued that the driver of activity doesn't exist. There are many airports like McKinney and Aero Country, that have long waiting lists for the rental of a hangar.

If three fourths of rental hangars are being used to house derelicts or the operation of a plumbing business, there is no fuel being sold. The businesses on the airport, like FBOs, avionics shops, maintenance and repair providers, and training operations (from schools to individual CFIs) cannot survive if there aren't real airplanes with pilots that buy those services.

I'm sure many will loudly protest that my opinions are un-American overreach. But the use of rental hangars to store aircraft that will never fly again or to operate non-aviation activities penalize those like the OP, who needs a place to store his flyable aircraft. He will also provide revenue to support the airport and its businesses.

And that's how it should work. I also agree with Clip4. If the aircraft is in pieces, surrounding by cardboard boxes full of parts, and everything has a good coating of dirt, the lease should be terminated. If there's no work being done to return a plane to service over, say, a six month period, same.

Airport managers should have the right to inspect hangars every six months or so to monitor compliance with the rules.

Why are small airports dying? No aviation activity. But it cannot be argued that the driver of activity doesn't exist. There are many airports like McKinney and Aero Country, that have long waiting lists for the rental of a hangar.

If three fourths of rental hangars are being used to house derelicts or the operation of a plumbing business, there is no fuel being sold. The businesses on the airport, like FBOs, avionics shops, maintenance and repair providers, and training operations (from schools to individual CFIs) cannot survive if there aren't real airplanes with pilots that buy those services.

I'm sure many will loudly protest that my opinions are un-American overreach. But the use of rental hangars to store aircraft that will never fly again or to operate non-aviation activities penalize those like the OP, who needs a place to store his flyable aircraft. He will also provide revenue to support the airport and its businesses.
:yeahthat:

Back