Plane crashes into homes in San Diego, Ca

Dan G has chalked this up to an adverse reaction to a C19 booster shot. We are living inside of a Saturday Night Live sketch.
But to quote James May of Top Gear fame: "But it's not a joke, because jokes are funny."

The media's ability to cover aviation, already a sensitive topic for many, is on the same level as a news headline saying "Patriots win Superbowl" and then put a picture of the Bruins holding the Stanley Cup.

This would actually be well above average in my book. (Wrong) professional sports team in same market area.

If those sources don’t generally reach a wide audience, “verify” becomes irrelevant, regardless of whether “trust” or “distrust” is the basis.
If the so-called information is dead wrong, where does the benefit lie?

I don't say this lightly, but this might literally be the dumbest thing I've ever read in my life. I find it hard to believe that a human being with the neurological capability of sustaining life unaided could actually put those words to paper with a straight face. Dan Gryder made this point while insisting about 5 times that he wasn't making this point. I sincerely hope this was posted to show how ridiculous some people can be, because this is patently absurd.
As you will surely notice I posted it without comment and I have not replied yet in any material way to any comment. Just something I read, found interesting and shared.

As you will surely notice I posted it without comment and I have not replied yet in any material way to any comment. Just something I read, found interesting and shared.
I would argue that it's really not interesting at all, but I'm sure I made that point, and will leave it at that.

I would argue that it's really not interesting at all, but I'm sure I made that point, and will leave it at that.
I wasn’t really looking for a conversation. Thought that was clear but I can reiterate the same thing again just to fit in.

Edit: just for clarification: :biggrin:

If those sources don’t generally reach a wide audience, “verify” becomes irrelevant, regardless of whether “trust” or “distrust” is the basis.
When I wrote "verify," I was referring to mass media, which DO reach a wide audience. However I would argue that verification is certainly relevant for the people who do read or listen to sources that don't have a wide audience.

Last edited:
When I wrote "verify," I was referring to mass media, which DO reach a wide audience. However I would argue that verification is certainly relevant for the people who do read or listen to sources that don't have a wide audience.
"Audiences know what to expect, and that is all they are prepared to believe in."

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, by Tom Stoppard, is one of my favorite plays. "The Player," Richard Dryefuss in the movie, says it in Act II.

Guildenstern points out that the scene was unrealistic. The Player’s response offers a divergent view. That when people say someting is "real, truthful, or acurate," what they mean is that it conforms to their expectations. Our desire is for order and that coincides with the way cinema (literature, and news reporting) unfold to conform our view of reality.

But as an engineer I look at math, physics, and real evidence. What the masses believe is at best a "Cliffs Notes" version so truncated as to be not-completely-accurate, and at worst simplistic, easy to understand, and dead wrong. (Dead, as in the 116 people who died, and 216 who were injured because "conventional wisdom" overuled an engineer's math.)

The masses have a tendency to react as the Tragedians’ audience when confronted with things that do not conform to their beliefs, they question or reject. In the play, although Rosencrantz and Guildenstern call the Tragedians on their inaccuracy, they also have the same flaw, refusing to believe that they are on the way to England, or about to die because dying is not an expectation.

In short, for most people truth simply means what they expect.

Last edited:
The media adds just enough truths to make the **** sandwich taste good.

"Audiences know what to expect, and that is all they are prepared to believe in."

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, by Tom Stoppard, is one of my favorite plays. "The Player," Richard Dryefuss in the movie, says it in Act II.

Guildenstern points out that the scene was unrealistic. The Player’s response offers a divergent view. That when people say someting is "real, truthful, or acurate," what they mean is that it conforms to their expectations. Our desire is for order and that coincides with the way cinema (literature, and news reporting) unfold to conform our view of reality.

But as an engineer I look at math, physics, and real evidence. What the masses believe is at best a "Cliffs Notes" version so truncated as to be not-completely-accurate, and at worst simplistic, easy to understand, and dead wrong. (Dead, as in the 116 people who died, and 216 who were injured because "conventional wisdom" overuled an engineer's math.)

The masses have a tendency to react as the Tragedians’ audience when confronted with things that do not conform to their beliefs, they question or reject. In the play, although Rosencrantz and Guildenstern call the Tragedians on their inaccuracy, they also have the same flaw, refusing to believe that they are on the way to England, or about to die because dying is not an expectation.

In short, for most people truth simply means what they expect.
None of us are immune to confirmation bias. As I said on the previous page, people needs tools for sorting fact from fiction.

"What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun." -- Attributed to King David (1010–970 BC)

David stole that line from his father, Jesse, the Bethlehemite.

;)

Last edited:
Back