New to the forum, female student pilot :)

AmyMarie

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
AmyBee
HI all. I just am looking for some helpful words of encouragement. I don't have any current friends in aviation, so I feel it is hard to study! I have been flying for about 3 months and have about 13 hours and am about to solo. Any study guides or tips would be greatly appreciated. I am currently flying out of Sacramento. So if there are any students on here, I would love to speak with you!

:)2.JPG Capture.JPG

There are women in aviation forums. Check some of them out. Maybe you already have. You need to fly more, a lot more if you can afford it.

13 hours to solo in a chopper is pretty good. If that’s a chopper, I can’t really tell what it is. Wrong seat for a heli I guess.

Welcome, and that's awesome!! Aviation is great, the more you get into it you'll slowly start establishing a network of pilot friends. Takes a while though, there aren't too many of us out there!

I'm down in San Diego. PoA has been a great resource through the years. SoCal has an active flying scene, if you are ever down in our neck of the woods check out Plus One Flyers. Huge fleet, an active FB group (though I'm not on FB), and up until COVID they were doing near monthly fly outs

We actually just did a small fly out with 3 planes and 7 people up to Pine Mountain

cheers and enjoy!

Check out flygirlkelley, she's great:

https://flygirlllc.com

I follow her on Instagram, I'm sure she'd be happy to chat with you. She's a CFI as well.

Welcome! Can’t help you much from Florida, but it’s good to have you here and I hope you’ll keep us posted on your progress.

You do need to fly more often if you’re able.

Check out flygirlkelley, she's great:

https://flygirlllc.com

I follow her on Instagram, I'm sure she'd be happy to chat with you. She's a CFI as well.

Hah, she showed up on my FB feed a while back and somehow my clumsy fingers + iPhone accidentally friend requested her while looking at whatever post it was. I realized this when she accepted my friend request :) And I agree, she seems like a cool lady & devoted pilot.

I did not know that. Why is that?
Early helicopters only had one collective, in the center where either front seat occupant could manipulate it. Later ones with two front seats have two, so you can fly "left hand collective, right hand cyclic" from either seat. I have a Luscombe and usually fly it from the right seat because all the instruments are in the middle anyway and it's easier to prop it from behind then just slide back along the right side, into the door, and the right seat.

Welcome! I’m a first gen pilot (no friends or family when I went through PPL), and I found Aviation 101 and MzeroA YouTube channels (more the early stuff) to be a great addition/visual tool to what I was reading and studying. Also Boldmethod the website has some fantastic free resources and visual aids as well. One of the tools I used across PPL and IR is creating a PAVE binder. Print important stuff out (IMSAFE guide, systems diagrams like pitot static/vacuum, etc) and put them in a binder like a study guide.

Other than that, if you get frustrated or stuck with something - don’t give up… come onto here! PoA is a great community and resource.

Congrats on your upcoming solo!

Another female pilot here. Welcome to POA! I was a CFII until a couple of years ago (let my certificate lapse because I wasn't using it). Any questions, I'd be happy to answer, and if I can't, we'll find someone who can. I'm excited for you that you're close to soloing. I soloed almost 31 years ago and remember it like it was yesterday. One of life's great experiences.

Welcome to POA. Expect bumps in the journey to your PPL and beyond, but we will be here to have your back when you hit them.

Tim

Another female pilot here. Welcome to POA! I was a CFII until a couple of years ago (let my certificate lapse because I wasn't using it). Any questions, I'd be happy to answer, and if I can't, we'll find someone who can. I'm excited for you that you're close to soloing. I soloed almost 31 years ago and remember it like it was yesterday. One of life's great experiences.
I just need someone to be available to study with! I can do all the courses online and everything, but nothing like the one on one chatting!

Sorry guys! I fly a Remos 2 seater! That picture with the Heli was from an air show! :) I appreciate the support. Just hard when its not one on one with the book work! :)

Attachments

• s.JPG
    s.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 66
Welcome!

I've spent a bit of time in the Sacramento Valley, as I've got relatives in Chico. We'd make the drive up there once a year when I was a kid, past the Nut Tree and all the orchards...

What airport are you at?
I made a precautionary landing at Sacramento Executive once, when I had an alternator failure and it was the "closest airport that would for sure have mechanics around". It was one of those "walk from one piece of shade to another across the shortest distance of sun" kind of 90 degree days in the summer. Good times! :)

Welcome!

I've spent a bit of time in the Sacramento Valley, as I've got relatives in Chico. We'd make the drive up there once a year when I was a kid, past the Nut Tree and all the orchards...

What airport are you at?
I made a precautionary landing at Sacramento Executive once, when I had an alternator failure and it was the "closest airport that would for sure have mechanics around". It was one of those "walk from one piece of shade to another across the shortest distance of sun" kind of 90 degree days in the summer. Good times! :)
I am at Sac exec! That sounds so scary! How long have you been flying for?!

I've been flying since 2004. I trained at a Class D airport on the outskirts of Boston, and a couple years later moved to Alaska.

An alternator failure is actually one of the least scary things on the "things that can go wrong" list. The engine continues to hum along just fine... you just realize that you're running all the electrical stuff (like the radios and transponder) on battery power and you don't know how long it'll last. In my case, it was the first time I'd ever had any kind of failure in-flight, and it was just a "oh. huh. guess I'd better turn nonessentials off, and land before I lose the radios" kind of event.

I was on a summer-long "airplane road trip" at the time, and keeping a blog about the whole experience: http://beetlejuiceadventure.wordpress.com
If you rewind it all the way to the beginning, eventually you'll find the Sac Exec story.

Getting ready to solo -- no wonder the weather just went all wonky in the bay area! :D

I've always wanted to try a Remos. I may need to pop over and try an hour or two with a CFI.

Welcome aboard! And remember rule #1(b) of flying: Have fun!

edit: OK, maybe that’s really rule #4.

I've been flying since 2004. I trained at a Class D airport on the outskirts of Boston, and a couple years later moved to Alaska.

An alternator failure is actually one of the least scary things on the "things that can go wrong" list. The engine continues to hum along just fine... you just realize that you're running all the electrical stuff (like the radios and transponder) on battery power and you don't know how long it'll last. In my case, it was the first time I'd ever had any kind of failure in-flight, and it was just a "oh. huh. guess I'd better turn nonessentials off, and land before I lose the radios" kind of event.

I was on a summer-long "airplane road trip" at the time, and keeping a blog about the whole experience: http://beetlejuiceadventure.wordpress.com
If you rewind it all the way to the beginning, eventually you'll find the Sac Exec story.
That is so amazing, thank you for your words!!! I am glad you are okay!

Getting ready to solo -- no wonder the weather just went all wonky in the bay area! :D

I've always wanted to try a Remos. I may need to pop over and try an hour or two with a CFI.
The Remos is amazing. I did my discovery flight on it and fell in love. Only thing is its very very light and very sensitive so one little bank turns into 45 degrees haha. Plus I like that it's not a yoke :)

Hey @AmyMarie, why not start a study group at your school? We did it at our school. I'm also a female student getting ready for my first solo. I'm going to a small Part 61 flight school in WA and it's challenging to find study partners. A few of the female pilots got together and started to meet a couple hours once a week. We would work through the written test prep and ACS together and just generally have a good time. We all passed our written tests doing this! Sometimes we'd have five people, sometimes only two. Couple of the regulars are on vacation now which makes me a loner and I can say, nothing beats studying with a fellow student. Good luck on your solo! I always get excited to find other girls dedicated to aviation.
Edit: we don't exclude male students, but for some reason, the guys aren't that interested in study group.

Last edited:
Hmm, looks like Sac Executive has four different flight schools now. I did my IR there. It was my home field for a while. (A long while, actually.)

Hey @AmyMarie, why not start a study group at your school? We did it at our school. I'm also a female student getting ready for my first solo. I'm going to a small Part 61 flight school in WA and it's challenging to find study partners. A few of the female pilots got together and started to meet a couple hours once a week. We would work through the written test prep and ACS together and just generally have a good time. We all passed our written tests doing this! Sometimes we'd have five people, sometimes only two. Couple of the regulars are on vacation now which makes me a loner and I can say, nothing beats studying with a fellow student. Good luck on your solo! I always get excited to find other girls dedicated to aviation.
Edit: we don't exclude male students, but for some reason, the guys aren't that interested in study group.
Morons. ;)

HI!!! Yes I wish I could do this, only I believe I am the only girl right now. I have never seen another female there, and don't know anyone else who is near to my hours/part of the program! So it makes a little hard for me to do so! I appreciate your words so much!! I just don't know any other students :(

HI!!! Yes I wish I could do this, only I believe I am the only girl right now. I have never seen another female there, and don't know anyone else who is near to my hours/part of the program! So it makes a little hard for me to do so! I appreciate your words so much!! I just don't know any other students :(

I'll bet if you asked around, you'd find some, especially with that many flight schools in the area. I've popped into SacExec a couple of times when my niece lived near there. Now she lives in El Dorado Hills and I fly in and out of Cameron (when I can get there--got skunked on a flight this summer by smoke!). I was based out of San Carlos for a year. If you want to ask questions not on the forum, feel free to email me at cavu.flying at that Google-owned email domain. I won't always answer right away because sometimes I'm away from the internet (shocking, I know), but would ASAP.

I'll bet if you asked around, you'd find some, especially with that many flight schools in the area. I've popped into SacExec a couple of times when my niece lived near there. Now she lives in El Dorado Hills and I fly in and out of Cameron (when I can get there--got skunked on a flight this summer by smoke!). I was based out of San Carlos for a year. If you want to ask questions not on the forum, feel free to email me at cavu.flying at that Google-owned email domain. I won't always answer right away because sometimes I'm away from the internet (shocking, I know), but would ASAP.
Very sweet of you! I just need more one on one time! I will ask around to see if I can find anyone within my range of schooling! Figured I would give this place a shot!! :)

I know the feeling! Hang in there. Girl pilots always find each other. I would suggest you do a Google search and ask around for Women in Aviation or 99s chapter in your area. There's bound to be one within driving distance. Always a good place to meet other women pilots and mentors.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

An alternator failure is actually one of the least scary things on the "things that can go wrong" list. The engine continues to hum along just fine...
Doesn't the Rotax engine in the Remos use electronic ignition rather than magnetos?

Oh, and welcome to the forum @AmyMarie !

Doesn't the Rotax engine in the Remos use electronic ignition rather than magnetos?

Oh, and welcome to the forum @AmyMarie !

Yes, the Rotax uses dual redundant capacitive discharge ignitions, but they're still isolated from the plane's electrical system. Shut off the master and the engine keeps right on purring, just like your Lycoming with mags.

Welcome to the forum, AmyMarie, and good luck on finding a study partner!

Back