The two facts, one lie game

OK, here we go:

1.) I once spend a weekend at a nudist gather.
2.) I've pulled a 6g turn in a GA aircraft.
3.) I got luggied on by Iggy Pop in concert.

Duh, it's three then...

Correct!

1.) was a nudist gather, and not only that, but the major draw was a mud pit with nice soft slimy mud. THAT was an interesting weekend!

2.) Was at one of the first Gastons I attended, Chip Gibbons took me up in his Extra 300L and rip some turns. After getting used to the bird I put it pretty much on knife edge and gave her a mighty pull. Chip yelled "Woohoo" from the back seat and told me I just pulled at 6g turn. On the ground, he showed me the Gmeter, which didn't lie. The plane:

i-b2Qh7mz-X3.jpg

3.) This one is a partial truth, as I was actually close enough that I high-fived Iggy early in the concert. Later in the concert I saw that he was going to hork one, so I ducked just at the right time and another fan got to enjoy that famous phlegm.

Ok, you're up!

1) I DO NOT own a complete 1942 Women's Auxiliary Ferrying Squadron uniform that I sometimes wear to fly-ins.
2) I DO NOT own a whole airplane, but I own small pieces of several.
3) I HAVE NOT flown a glider with a small Continental engine.

Sorry,

I own a minority share of "my airplane" the Luscombe 8A I put most of the time on and minority shares in an L-2 (DCO-65), L-3, and PA-11. There is a method to this madness. I also have the right of first refusal to purchase the outstanding shares of each, and a veto on so called "upgrades" (mutilations). My not-unrealistic goal is to collect a small group of fairly original A-65 powered "flyers."

TECHNICALLY three is true. Each airplane was certificated as a 2-PCLM...

Of course in reality these early airplanes have far more in common with gliders than later avian creations. The L-3 has an 11:1 glide ratio and the airplane I learned to fly in was built as a TG (training glider)-6 in 1942 and converted by factory letter to a civilian DCO-65 post-war.

TG-6s (motorless L-2s) and similar TGs built by Aeronca (motorless L-3s) and Piper (motorless L-4s) were used by the US Army to train the pilots of the WACO gliders used on D-Day and in other operations.

#1 ( I'm hoping to see you wear it).
True...

Ding Ding Ding

I have PIECES of the ensemble, the jacket, skirt, and some insignia. But the blouse and shoes are new in matching hues, and there are some other items that I'd love to have if the opportunity arises.

There were actually FOUR different oranizations that female pilots contributed to during the war. Best known was Jackie Cochrane's Women's Flying Training Detachment (WFTD) which became the Women's Airforce Service Pilots (WASP). They trained pilots and later took over the existing Women's Auxillary Ferrying Squadron (WAFS) created by Nancy Love. It, like the Ford Motor Company, employed already licensed pilots to ferry new and overhauled aircraft to and from combat zones. The Civilian Costal Patrol (CCP) later Civil AirPatrol (CAP) was the earliest organization. It employed both male and female pilots to patrol the coastal waters and report by radio sightings of suspected submarine activity.

You are the winner, and get to go next IIRC.

Last edited:
OK, here's a slightly different take on this:

I have had conversations with each of these gentlemen who Tom Hanks played in a movie:
1) Chesley Sullenberger (Sully)
2) Jim Lovell (Apollo 13)
3) Charlie Wilson (Charlie Wilson's War)

Negative. I waltzed into Charlie Wilson's office when I was fourteen and told the secretary that I wanted to see him. It helped that I have the same name as my father and my father had been in the Navy with him. We had a great chat and he walked with me as he went off from some vote on the house floor.

Indeed. I had a prolonged three-way chat with Sully and John King about Airbus safety at a Smithsonian fundraising dinner. I got to shake hands with Lovell at the same event but we didn't converse.

Am I too late? I was going to guess 4) Chuck Noland... (Wilson told me to.)

I was going to throw in Adrian Cronauer or TK Mattingly (who I've talked to, but they were played by people other than Tom Hanks).

Ok, here is my try.

1. I once accidentally flew into Russian airspace.
2. I landed a Piper Navajo on the frozen Kobuk River in Alaska.
3. I once had boiled seal flipper for dinner in Alaska.

1. Because you meant to do it...

Nope. I took off from Wales and decided to take a flight see around Little Diomede Island. I was looking down to do paperwork and when I looked up the Big Diomede Island was starting to slip under the left wing. I did a very hard right turn and skedaddled back to Kotzebue. At about 15 feet MSL. Constantly jenking the plane around looking behind me and very glad the plane was almost the same color of the water. I guess the Russians were sleeping that day.

Nope. It was in winter and close to sundown when I heard someone asking for help on the radio. I answered and found out there had been a really bad snow machine accident on the Kobuk River between Ambler and Kiana. There was one person that was in really bad shape and they were wanting a helicopter to fly the guy to Kotzebue. At that time of day, around 5pm, pretty much everyone was finished for the day. After talking with the folks on the scene they told me the guy would not live long enough to go by snow machine to the closest village. There is a pretty good ice road on the river, so I had everyone clear the area and did a really low pass, dragging one wheel on the ice surface.

At this point I decided to land, so I told everyone to stay clear and landed on the ice road. Part of my decision making was seeing a bulldozer on the ice road a couple days earlier, and a Chieftain is not heavier than a bulldozer. I got to Kotz where an ambulance was on the ramp waiting for me. The hospital stabilized the guy and he was flown to Anchorage later that night and eventually recovered.

Yes, it was stupid of me. Yes, I got a verbal reprimand from the chief pilot The Director of Operations threatened to fire me. Our POI had a conversation with me and decided it was a necessary operation to save a life.

I can't remember which ones I've done before on here.

1. I won a state title in Orienteering.
2. I had lunch with George HW Bush.
3. I was the first person in my high school's history to make All-State orchestra.

I'll guess that one is true and two false. (I've flown over Illinois a whole lot and most of it is pretty flat. Knowing how to read a map and compass would be handy. OTOH you might have grown up in Kenne... and my guess might be bunkport.)

I'll guess that one is true and two false. (I've flown over Illinois a whole lot and most of it is pretty flat. Knowing how to read a map and compass would be handy. OTOH you might have grown up in Kenne... and my guess might be bunkport.)
#2 is the half-truth....aka lie.

The owner of the company I worked for 10 years ago was a member of the Houstonian Club. He took myself and the president of the company to lunch one day over there. We walk into the dining room and bam, there are George and Barbara having lunch. We were seated a few tables down from them. I had to keep from looking over my shoulder the whole time. It always made me wonder if the Secret Service guys that were hanging with him had to taste the food first and make sure they didn't die. :dunno:

1) I have NEVER piloted an airplane with a nose wheel.
2) I have NEVER piloted an airplane with a Lycoming engine.
3) I have NEVER flown an airplane with EDO floats.

2. I had lunch with George HW Bush.

When I lived in Texas I did some work for George Bush, even sat with him and had a beer on a few occasions....

... George Bush the used car salesman, not the former head of the CIA, former V.P. and former President....

That leaves 1 for the lie?
Nope (the answer directly above yours was for the previous quiz-master).

Never in my life have I been at the controls of a "nose dragger." I have flown a sweetheart built by Aeronca as a 7FC. But decades earlier some kind soul made her a "7EC CONV" by restoring the third wheel to its proper position.

I've never flown a BC-65, but I have flown a BL-65. Lycoming O-145 powered.

Easy claim for a win...

Nope (the answer directly above yours was for the previous quiz-master).

Never in my life have I been at the controls of a "nose dragger." I have flown a sweetheart built by Aeronca as a 7FC. But decades earlier some kind soul made her a "7EC CONV" by restoring the third wheel to its proper position.

I've never flown a BC-65, but I have flown a BL-65. Lycoming O-145 powered.

Easy claim for a win...

Sorry for the confusion, but does "nope" mean no, you haven't flown a nose gear plane, or does it mean I guessed wrong?

Back