Zenith CH 650 cruise speed

DMD3.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DMD3.
I’ve been researching the 650, and it seems to be a nice, affordable airplane. For those of you who own or have flown one, what air speeds do you typically average? Also, the website claims up to 160 mph (139 kts) cruise at 8k feet. Would you say this is true or are they embellishing a bit (which is why I’m posting this:D )?

I realize the CH 650 is not meant to be a speed demon, but something this affordable that can outcruise a C172 with the engine of a C150/152 sounds like a sweet little airplane.

This video has a good table that may provide you some insight...

I did 1,000nm in ours last weekend from Near Seattle to the Nevada desert and back.

139kts. is just a little on the optimistic side:lol:.

Ours is a clean build with wheel pants. Rotax 100ULS 100hp. 110kts at 5,300 rpm 7,500 feet is a real number. That at your Rotax standard 5 gph. I was getting almost 160mph over the Cascades the way back though. But just a bit of a push, hah.

It is a super fun economical bird. Great camping rig for one guy or just bombing around the sky with modern electronics.

I realize the CH 650 is not meant to be a speed demon, but something this affordable that can outcruise a C172 with the engine of a C150/152 sounds like a sweet little airplane.

It won't go faster than a 172, but it will match it at about 40% of the fuel burn.

I usually plan on a cruise speed averaging 105 knots at 75% power. It's about the same performance (cruise speed and rate of climb) I got with my O-300-C powered '63 C172D. My Zodiac has a 100 hp O-200-A and burns 5.5 gph 100LL.

I plan for 90 knots at 75% with my Lycoming O-235-C1. I think there may be a 650 with a Viking 130 that's getting around 140 mph. Understand I spend zero time calculating TAS so my answer is not precise. I think, in the real world, everyone finds there own sweet spot for engine operation. For any real world cruise scenario I would no count on any more than 120 mph. If it's got a 130 hp motor then you may be able to bump that up some. The 601/650 is not the most aerodynamically clean design. This is not anything like an RV, though they may appear similar.

I see where I can buy a new, factory-built CH 650 in Eastman, Ga, for $140k. I’d rather buy a used one for a fifth the price. It doesn’t say on their site whether they’ll perform maintenance or prebuys.

http://newplane.com/

Last edited:
i got 601xl O-200D engine catto prop, TAS 109 Knots 75% power

I see where I can buy a new, factory-built CH 650 in Eastman, Ga, for $140k. I’d rather buy a used one for a fifth the price. It doesn’t say on their site whether they’ll perform maintenance or prebuys.

http://newplane.com/
I believe that information is several years out of date. AMD in Eastman has been out of business for years. Maybe someone else is building them in Eastman that I'm not aware of.

Back