Can you learn in any plane?

The short answer is yes you can learn in any plane

is it a smart idea? That is a different question as you can see from the many responses above. The learning curve will be greater of course, especially when adding a second engine.

Something to consider as well as while you could buy a twin turbo-prop airplane and get a private in it, you will probably run into difficulty finding an instructor willing to do this and give their signature off on this for both solo and checkride. And you will also probably find it very difficult, or very costly to get insurance coverage on the airplane to cover this.

My 330 lb. friend learned in a 172, and flew with me in mine numerous times.

Reactions: TAL
The normal training progression before buying a twin-engine turboprop is to get a private pilot certificate in a Cessna 172 or 182, single engine high performance complex (retractable gear, constant speed prop) endorsement in something like a Bonanza, instrument rating, multi-engine rating, then multi-engine turboprop. Then, if you still want higher and faster, turbine type ratings (Citation, Phenom, Honda, etc.).

Taking short cuts is just not smart IMHO.

You learn more about sailing from the little boats than the big ones. I feel aviation follows that line.

.... :D
Ill agree that its analogous except slow stalls are less dangerous:) I learned the fundamentals on a '50 Santa Cruz. Then a fancy kevlar B boat, various J-Boats, Soling and a couple more I could single hand then just a few years ago got into smaller Sunfish Laser keel board types and HobieCats. Very Humbling.
My only point is if you are fortunate to learn on something "big" plan to stay big or painfully re-learn everything all over again.

Not from the US, and long out of the training game, but isn't there a list of maneuvers for a PPL that may not be possible to demonstrate in a twin-turbine? Stalls, slow flight, and spins come to mind. I guess one could demonstrate a forced landing for test purposes in this type but it would be quite unrealistic - yeah, I know it is possible in real life but the complexity of the checklists, briefings, and site selection would likely exceed what the PPL practical test standards ever considered.

My first American license was the US ATPL, given on the basis of my foreign license. I did the check ride in an Airbus 320 simulator while I was getting the type rating. I do recall doing some of the maneuvers, but where one may be willing to fly a simulator on the backside of the power curve, in a twin-engine airplane it's a no-no. As I was going straight to ATPL, some of the other "basics" were probably assumed based on previous licenses and experience.

Lastly, finding an instructor or examiner versed in such a bird, and able to deliver the PPL content (not just the type rating stuff) would likely be a challenge.

Could you? Maybe. But, there will be challenges.

Should you? I would say no.

You could do it. Doesn’t mean that it won’t take a lot of time, money, patience, studying, etc. I’d start off in a single then piston multi then multi turbo prop. You have to crawl before you can walk.

Im looking at getting my PPL and buying the plane to learn in. At this time it is more research and learning than anything else and I feel it is best to ask questions early. ;)

So, can you learn and get your PPL in any plane? I ask because I was reading about endorsements required and all the planes I like require at least one and in some cases many endorsements.

Wondering if I can do it in a 6 seat dual turbo prop or if I need to look at specific planes for the lessons.

This type of question comes up all the time. It is like a toddler asking if he should learn to walk wearing Nike shoes or winter boots, because he wants to be a runner when he grows up. OK, that may be an exaggeration, but the point is, it does not matter. Pick the simplest and cheapest option. Your goal is to learn how to fly, not how to operate a specific airplane.

Last edited:
We keep telling @TAL that you can get your PPL in any plane but its just not practical.

But technically there are many planes you can't get your PPL in because you could never solo or do solo cross countries in them. Basically any plane requiring a copilot like the bigger business jets.

Wouldn't the same go for planes like certain warbirds where a LOA(?) would be required but to get that you would need prior flight experience that would technically make it impossible.

No one is gonna do this stuff anyway. But there does seem to be several planes where a PPL would not be possible even with unlimited funds and instruction.

Reactions: TAL
I would say, most who want to learn to fly could learn in almost any aircraft, with maybe a few exceptions.

But, why would you want to make it any more difficult and expensive than it already is?

There's good reason behind the use of aircraft specifically designed for use as training aircraft.

Like most any other thing that's worth perusing, learning to fly is a process.

Flying in itself is a process, and the learning part never ends.

Don't buck the system. Start small, set goals, and work toward them.

In the end you'll be better, safer, and smarter.

If you want to be a really good pilot start out in a taildragger such an Aeronca or Citabria. Just rent.

I did that! J3 for me. I ended up being just an OK pilot, but I think I'd be terrible if I started in a regular airplane. It's good advice, in my view.

Of course you can.

A savy instructor will wonder why, there may be a good reason to learn in twin turbo prop. On the other hand if your wanting to throw $$ @ aviation because it strokes your ego, well, aviation doesn’t care about ones swagger, because from a hole all the smoke looks the same.

Back