Do you ever sacrifice the quantity of life for...

I’ve found it matters less what you do, but more that you actually do something. Do what makes you happy. Too many people sitting at home planning and what-if-ing that they forget to live.

not sure how 'womanizing' would shorten one's lifespan, short of your peter falling off.

I smoked when I was younger, greatest thing I ever done did, giving those nasty lil fokkers up.

booze? yes, I like my booze.

also not sure how flying would shorten one's life unless, well, u know.

so I guess my answer is, imma have fun until the fat lady sings.
Jealous husband?:blowingkisses::dunno:

One thing I gave up that greatly improved my quality of life was saying "I can't wait until.....". When I realized how much of my life I was spending waiting for the next "big" thing and not living, I quit doing that and got back a lot of in-the-moment life.

Me and the wife found a way around that little problem. When we go to the restaurant they always ask me why I'm watching her eat while my food gets cold. "I'm waiting for her to get done using the teeth" is my reply. :D

One word: Pre-chewed food.....

(sorry about the Polish sub titles)

One thing I gave up that greatly improved my quality of life was saying "I can't wait until.....". When I realized how much of my life I was spending waiting for the next "big" thing and not living, I quit doing that and got back a lot of in-the-moment life.

One thing I gave up was watching the news, especially anything to do with politics. I feel so much better these days!

Last edited:
One word: Pre-chewed food.....

(sorry about the Polish sub titles)

I love ya like a brother but (as Joey would say) "Come on man! Here's the deal!" That's over the line!:yes::yesnod::smilewinkgrin:

One thing I gave up was watching the news, especially anything to do with politics. I feel so much better these day!

I did that 20 years ago, based on advice from one of the funny doctors on a PBS pledge drive. Eat more salmon, more broccoli, something about exercise, stop watching the news. It really does reduce stress, saves time, and the information the provide is at best useless.

I had an uncle that smoked, drank alcohol and was over weight just about all of his adult life. He lived to be 83 and died due to blood clots caused by injuries in a car wreck, where the other driver was at fault. Now while he wasn't the picture of perfect health, he did not have any health problems usually associated with life long smokers/drinkers.

Sure, a lot of people can smoke and drink heavily and still be alive. But the statistics aren't in their favor. And its a quality of life issue to me. I prefer to be able to walk up stairs without gasping for breath. IMO body maintenance (exercise and not treating yourself like crap) allows me to do the things I enjoy doing, and still do them well. I hope I can keep exploring the outdoors well into my 70-80s.

So many people I know my age have surgeries to deal with weight loss, knee/hip/back issues, ***** and moan about getting old... they don't take care of themselves. What do you want out of life?

If you avoid anything associated with Twitter, you’ll live to 100 and be in perfect health when the Zombie Apocalypse kills everyone.

Cheers

Being diabetic I visualize all meal choices as quality vs quantity. Makes life interesting.

George Burns lived to 100... Late in life he dedicated his autobiography to the widow of the doctor who told him to quit smoking, and to the widow who told him to stop drinking, and to the widow of the doctor who told him to get more exercise.

Aristotle said we should seek a mean.

Who has empirical proof that drinking, enjoying the company of the opposite (or hell, even the same--to each thier own) gender, enjoying food, or flying has the -nth degree on health or longevity.

That guy that wrote the best-selling health and fitness book. He died from a heart attack while jogging.

George Burns lived to 100... Late in life he dedicated his autobiography to the widow of the doctor who told him to quit smoking, and to the widow who told him to stop drinking, and to the widow of the doctor who told him to get more exercise.

Aristotle said we should seek a mean.

Who has empirical proof that drinking, enjoying the company of the opposite (or hell, even the same--to each thier own) gender, enjoying food, or flying has the -nth degree on health or longevity.

That guy that wrote the best-selling health and fitness book. He died from a heart attack while jogging.

It's not that there isn't data correlating smoking, heavy drinking, overeating, etc etc with reduced lifespan. It's that the data applies to the population; you can't look at an average and say it applies to each individual.

There will always be smokers who outlive non-smokers, heavy drinkers who outlive teetotalers, voracious consumers of red meat who outlive vegetarians, sedentary obese people who outlive marathon runners. Bell curves have tails, and there will always be some people who are a couple of standard deviations off the norm. But you don't necessarily want to bet that you're one of them.

It's not that there isn't data correlating smoking, heavy drinking, overeating, etc etc with reduced lifespan. It's that the data applies to the population; you can't look at an average and say it applies to each individual.

There will always be smokers who outlive non-smokers, heavy drinkers who outlive teetotalers, voracious consumers of red meat who outlive vegetarians, sedentary obese people who outlive marathon runners. Bell curves have tails, and there will always be some people who are a couple of standard deviations off the norm. But you don't necessarily want to bet that you're one of them.
Ah, but that is not what I said.

Water is necessary for life. Drink enough and you die from an electrolyte imbalance.

Alcohol, especially red wine, has been shown to be beneficial to heart health. Drink enough and you die from liver disease.

Food is required for life. Eat too much and you impact those Cypress trees at the end of runway 24.

Is flying any more dangerous than being a pedestrian in Manhattan? Or Idabel Oklahoma?

The high school I attended would not permit spelunking (exploring caves) "too dangerous" they said. Football and ice hockey were okay.

As a heterosexual male I am not sure that life without female companionship is worth living. Too much and... Okay... Bad example... You have a terminal grin... Or something... I don't know.

Think of your absolute favorite dinner... Think about having it served to you for the 730th consecutive day...

If you avoid anything associated with Twitter, you’ll live to 100 and be in perfect health when the Zombie Apocalypse kills everyone on Twitter.

Cheers
FTFY, no thanks required.

Many folks I know over 80 seem to average 3 doctor appts per week, mobility issues and the dreaded dementia/Alzheimer’s. Aging is not easy, so there’s a plus side to not outliving your body. Probably not a popular view, but it’s just the way I see it. I am not endorsing euthanasia, but just know that once you’re into your 80’s it’s usually all down hill. Medical science can keep you going, but are you really enjoying life?

That's been my observation, too. My mother was doing fine until age 82, and then it was four years of declining health. I watched her and both my inlaws slowly decline and eventually die. Fortunately, none suffered from dementia.

Do things that you enjoy. If one of them does you in, well, that's the way it goes.

That's been my observation, too. My mother was doing fine until age 82, and then it was four years of declining health. I watched her and both my inlaws slowly decline and eventually die. Fortunately, none suffered from dementia.

Do things that you enjoy. If one of them does you in, well, that's the way it goes.
My parents are 88 and 95, thankfully in fine shape. My dad spent 15 months in Korea ('52-'53) with a guy. His buddy died at 23 in his home town, after serving over a year in a war zone half a world away, a pedestrian struck by a car that didn't stop for a stop sign...

One never knows...

Back