New England area places to fly?

Joe_B1

Line Up and Wait
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Joe_B
As many on here know, the airport diner scene in New England has been decimated by the Wuflu so we are looking for places to go around the area. We have done KEEN, KSFM, KORE and KASH to death.

Recently, we bought some e scooters so we can venture away from the airports. We have been to Rockland ME which was a great trip and we were planning a trip to Glen falls NY but that place is mask happy in the extreme so it looks like NY is not a good place to visit. We have a trip planned to KHIE next week and also looking at possible destinations in PA. We have a dog so overnight destinations would have to be pet friendly.

Any ideas from the PoA brain trust would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks!

Bah Haba, there are a few restaurants within a mile or two of the airport. Minuteman (stow), Nancy's, just check to make sure it is open. Jaffery, probably not open right now, they are getting their runway redone, long overdue, but Kimball's is located on the field, great ice cream and food.

Bah Haba, there are a few restaurants within a mile or two of the airport. Minuteman (stow), Nancy's, just check to make sure it is open. Jaffery, probably not open right now, they are getting their runway redone, long overdue, but Kimball's is located on the field, great ice cream and food.
Thanks Paul, I will look into Bah Haba!

Hangar B in Chatham (CQX) is really nice for breakfast. It's situated right on the airport and you can eat while watching the planes come and go. Bethany's Diner at the airport in Block Island (BID) is pretty good too, and the walk to the town is about a mile. I just got back from Martha's Vineyard (MVY) and ate breakfast at the restaurant on the field - Plane View. The food wasn't bad but not the friendliest service. There is a bus service to the island towns and Uber/Lyft is available also.

Not sure how far into PA you are willing to venture, or what kind of food you're looking for. A couple good options that I know of:
KAOO has a Mexican restaurant on the field
KRDG has Klinger's at the Airport, a diner/pub. Not my style so I haven't been, but have heard good reviews. Apparently there is a good Mennonite place not too far from the field recommended by the folks at Reading Jet.
N30 has a really good diner from the multiple recommendations I've received. Haven't tried it yet, but the owner's son is one of my coworkers and he agrees that it's really good. He recommends the Glasair or the KingAir.
Fiorentino's at KLNS has also come highly recommended.

Not sure how far into PA you are willing to venture, or what kind of food you're looking for. A couple good options that I know of:
KAOO has a Mexican restaurant on the field
KRDG has Klinger's at the Airport, a diner/pub. Not my style so I haven't been, but have heard good reviews. Apparently there is a good Mennonite place not too far from the field recommended by the folks at Reading Jet.
N30 has a really good diner from the multiple recommendations I've received. Haven't tried it yet, but the owner's son is one of my coworkers and he agrees that it's really good. He recommends the Glasair or the KingAir.
Fiorentino's at KLNS has also come highly recommended.

Thanks for the suggestions Mike, we will look into them.

Thanks for the suggestions Mike, we will look into them.
Absolutely. Your question reminded me that I needed to import restaurant maps into Foreflight. There's 2 available that I know of. The first one is from @GeorgeC and can be found here. I converted it to a CSV and if you'd like, I can just email it to you and save you the hassle of doing that yourself.

Second option is from Airplane Geeks. It doesn't have nearly as MUCH data as George's but may be more specific as to which are located on the field as opposed to near the field. You can find that map (and its respective download information) here.

I loved the BBQ place at Keene that closed, would appreciate any feedback on the new place. What I've heard so far is "eh" and that's not worth a trip for me.

Glens falls restaurant is nice, but check the hours. I don't know about the airport specifically, but upstate NY masks are optional most places. I think it's just schools, public transportation, medical facilities, and government offices. Normal day to day around here I'd say it's about 50% at stores, restaurant staff, etc.

BAF was supposed to have a nice place, but I don't know if they're still open or how the food is.

I loved the BBQ place at Keene that closed, would appreciate any feedback on the new place. What I've heard so far is "eh" and that's not worth a trip for me.

Glens falls restaurant is nice, but check the hours. I don't know about the airport specifically, but upstate NY masks are optional most places. I think it's just schools, public transportation, medical facilities, and government offices. Normal day to day around here I'd say it's about 50% at stores, restaurant staff, etc.

BAF was supposed to have a nice place, but I don't know if they're still open or how the food is.
I can give you some insight into the new place at KEEN, its called Mama McDonough's Irish pub and it's not too bad. They occupy the same place as the old restaurant but they have remodeled to some extent. They still have the outdoor patio as well as indoor seating. They have expanded the menu a bit, they have more entree dishes. Every time I have been there, the service has been outstanding even though they say they are short handed. We have been there about 5 or 6 times since they took over and it's better than it was. There seem to be a contingent of local drinkers who hang out at the bar there. I am not so sure it's worth a trip from Albany though.

KSFM, on the other hand I would have to say has kind of gone down hill. Last time we were there. We had to wait a half hour for a table and over an hour for the food. They kept telling us that the kitchen was too small. The food was mediocre at best. It seems like they are trying to turn it into some sort,of reggae nightclub. We might go back but not holding out much hope.

KASH, is your typical greasy spoon airport diner, salads and burgers are the most popular there. Not much else to say about that place, all the locals know each other. The food and the service is pretty typical.

As far as Glen's falls goes, we were scared off by a notice that there was a new mask mandate that carried a $1000 fine. We don't need to deal with that but maybe I will give them a call and try to get the low down on it.

Thanks! Yeah, I would call. They were very friendly last time I was there...which was pre-covid...and the FBO was as well. That notice could have been a reaction to someone being a PITA about something during the state wide mask mandates. Used to be you could walk directly from the aircraft parking area through the gate and to the restaurant, and back with the code without even going through the FBO. From the website it looks like it might be a bit pretentious, but it isn't...it's up in the Adirondacks after all. Food was good. I like Glens Falls. It is an old blue collar mill town, but they have a bit of an art thing going on, too.

Ohhh my. So many to list. Try EWB...Airport Grille. Town parking near gate in fence. Nice little restaurant.

Many others that haven't been mentioned: 44N, AUG, RKD, RUT, LWM, 63B, 7B3, POU, B06 (grass strip, google the Red Mill--closed for the season) and SLK. BTW, I think The Aviator at Glenn's Falls is closed.

Last edited:
Goodspeed (42B) in CT, several restaurants and a musical theater a short walk away, plus the airport has loaner bikes. Kobelt (N45) in NY has a nice restaurant. There's also Katama on Martha's Vineyard but I don't know the status of the restaurant there.

If you're worried about masks, wear a mask. Its not a big deal.

The cafe at Rutland is closed.

LWM has Dominic's diner, won't blow your socks off but it is decent food, located in the terminal building to the right of the tower, parking on the ramp right in front. Closes each day at 2pm

There is a decent Italian/pizza shop just over the hill from the ramp at IJD we went to back in August. Illiano's I think was the name of it. If you ask in the FBO they can point you in the right direction.

Hampton (7B3) has been consistently good the few times we have been. Can be busy with locals that drive in on the weekends.

The Trail House Kitchen and Bar is just outside the airport in North Adams (AQW) and was good the one time we went.

The Bethel airport (0B1) has bikes to borrow and a bike path that goes by the airport toward town. Have done that a couple of times to get lunch. There is also a decent “Smokin’ Good BBQ” truck parked near a convenience store headed away from town. The store makes good sandwiches if the BBQ truck isn’t open. Oh - and fuel is pretty cheap here, mitigating how far north it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Joe_B1, did you end up flying to HIE last week? Use the scooters? How was that? We’ve thought about trying the same.

@Joe_B1, did you end up flying to HIE last week? Use the scooters? How was that? We’ve thought about trying the same.

We went up but did not take the scooters or the dog. Foliage is past peak up there but still was a good flight. We went to RKD a couple of weeks ago and took the scooters there. It was great being able to just blast out of the airport and head into town.

As far as Glen's falls goes, we were scared off by a notice that there was a new mask mandate that carried a $1000 fine.
Nonsense. Where did you hear this? Aside from the fact that I can’t for the life of me understand why someone would not visit an airport and restaurant because they have to wear a mask for 90 seconds while they walk in and sit down. What a burden!

Plane Janes @ PYM is another decent one. I think they are 6-2 breakfast and lunch. Sign on the door says wear a mask, but I've never had an issue without one.
Taso's @ OWD is supposed to be decent right outside the terminal. Can't comment on masks or food. Maybe I'll stop in this weekend and try it out and report back.

Ill second the Airfield Cafe at Hampton, NH (7B3). Always fantastic food, the new building is great, and the airport is charming. also, Limington-Harmon, ME (63B) has a decent restaurant on the field. We also went to Orange, MA (KORE) and walked across the street to the diner there. it was a quaint place but the food was decent, if I remember. it has been a while.

Fortunately for Glens Falls, that city is about 200 miles north of NYC, and out of reach of whatever goofiness they have going on down there. :)

For most intents and purposes, the 5 boroughs of NYC are a separate state from New York. Plenty of good people down their, but the rules are nuts.
I wouldn't know that as I tend to stay out of NY. But maybe next spring we will give Glens a try.

I did a day trip to Saratoga Springs NY earlier this summer. Lots of places to eat downtown, and a nice place to walk around. Might be a bit far from the airport to downtown for a scooter. I took an Uber when I visited.

Yes, it's a pity NYC isn't "New Jersey City". Moist of the rest of NY state is beautiful (and has no mask mandate).

I really love how people still think NY state is one big New York City. I’d like to help perpetuate that bit of ignorance if it will keep more people out of my Adirondacks. Yeah, my. ;)

As Dana said... try Goodspeed (42B). Literally park and walk to a pretty good restaurant with outstanding views of the CT River... The airport is under new ownership, management... very nice folks. The airport approach is really cool... check it out on Google Maps...

Still staying out of crazy town. Won't wear a face diaper, won't take the jab. Have a nice day!
I'm not sure I understand. You're staying out of Glens Falls because NYC had a mask requirement? That doesn't quite make sense. Why would you post something that isn't true, "prove" your point by citing something unrelated, and then insult the person who showed you where you were incorrect? Seems like you're the type to not let the facts get in the way of a good opinion.

I wish you a fine day as well.

When I lived there, a favorite autumn flight was over the Quabbin Reservoir in MA. Fall colors are amazing contrasted with the water.

Looks like the diner at Southbridge is closed, but there is one near Orange, to the north.

I'm not sure I understand. You're staying out of Glens Falls because NYC had a mask requirement? That doesn't quite make sense. Why would you post something that isn't true, "prove" your point by citing something unrelated, and then insult the person who showed you where you were incorrect? Seems like you're the type to not let the facts get in the way of a good opinion.

I wish you a fine day as well.
Didn't think I insulted you by stating my position but if I hurt your feelings, I apologize. Still not going near NY!

No mention of the cape and islands yet, surprised! (unless I missed it)

If you have little scooters then there Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, Block Island, several places on the cape, are all fun. When I lived in Mass I was always plying those routes. And the overwater portion, with the massive time savings over the ferries and driving, make it a very appealing and exotic way to travel

But some of the coolest spots I found was just simply by picking a place on the sectional and flying to it. Again, if you have the scooter, then what better way to explore?

Some New York and Maine destinations might include:
  • KITH - Ithaca has some spectacular state parks with gorge hikes and waterfalls nearby.
  • KVGC - one hour from Cooperstown, with the Baseball Hall of Fame and also a Farmers Museum. Located in a college town (Colgate U.) with several dining options downtown. (Well, small village. The Saturday Farmers Market on the village green May-October is fun.) This is my home drome. Leaf peeping is great in early October in the picturesque Chenango Valley.
  • KSLK - right in the heart of the Adirondack Park. Past peak by mid-October for leaf peeping, but beautiful in late September to early October. Spectacular hiking options, especially if you know some of the lesser-traveled mountain trails. (Catamount is one of my favorites.)
  • KLKP - right next the the ski jumps in Lake Placid and a short hop to this iconic Adirondack village. In the middle of the Adirondack high peaks. An alternative to KSLK if the weather is good.
  • K09 (Piseco) - not many places to eat nearby, but right on the lake and there is a nice little scramble up Panther Mountain only a mile or so away if you have transport
  • KELM - take a trip to the Corning Glass Museum (outstanding!)
  • KPWM - a favorite overnight to several day destination for shopping, Sea Dogs baseball (in season), Gritty McDuffs ales, and lobster.
  • KBHB - a great destination for hiking, especially off season (not July 1 to Labor Day).
Cheers.

Wow these are great. I’m in the Chesapeake Bay area next week and hope to pop up for a NYC tour and some food!

Back