What are the primary and secondary flight control systems?

Farhan Najar

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Farhan Najar
1) Primary flight controls (control the airplane)
- The ailerons (controls the roll [banks]– longitudinal axis)
- Elevator (controls the pitch– lateral axis)
- Rudder (controls the Yaw– vertical axis)

2) Secondary flight controls (change the airplane performance)
- Flaps – to increase lift during take-off and landing
- Trim – to hold the air speed and release the yoke pressure

For the purpose of your exam, the FAA definition comes straight from the PHAK:

Aircraft flight control systems consist of primary and secondary systems. The ailerons, elevator (or stabilator), and rudder constitute the primary control system and are required to control an aircraft safely during flight. Wing flaps, leading edge devices, spoilers, and trim systems constitute the secondary control system and improve the performance characteristics of the airplane or relieve the pilot of excessive control forces.

He's basically just copying from CFIInstructor website with some changes.

Not sure. I thought I was the primary control and the bank was secondary ... :happydance:
Supporting, not secondary.

Believe it or not, back around 1988, I knew someone who failed her initial CFI checkride, about 8 hours into the checkride, for saying "secondary" instead of "supporting" when teaching basic attitude instrument flying to the DPE who was playing the part of a primary student.

Absolutely ridiculous. What a waste of time and money.

At the time, all of the local DPEs were like that. The school at which I worked started sending our students out on cross-countries to other towns with more reasonable DPEs.

1) Primary flight controls (control the airplane)
- The ailerons (controls the roll [banks]– longitudinal axis)
- Elevator (controls the pitch– lateral axis)
- Rudder (controls the Yaw– vertical axis)

2) Secondary flight controls (change the airplane performance)
- Flaps – to increase lift during take-off and landing
- Trim – to hold the air speed and release the yoke pressure

This is stuff that one has to learn to make the FAA happy and then quickly forget. It is worthless information. It does not help you become a better pilot.

This is stuff that one has to learn to make the FAA happy and then quickly forget. It is worthless information. It does not help you become a better pilot.

For some reason I thought you were serious for about 15 seconds, and started to write an angry response. Been a long day.

Supporting, not secondary.

Believe it or not, back around 1988, I knew someone who failed her initial CFI checkride, about 8 hours into the checkride, for saying "secondary" instead of "supporting" when teaching basic attitude instrument flying to the DPE who was playing the part of a primary student.

Absolutely ridiculous. What a waste of time and money.

At the time, all of the local DPEs were like that. The school at which I worked started sending our students out on cross-countries to other towns with more reasonable DPEs.
Good to know!

This could be an interesting list. At what point does it change from secondary to tertiary? CS prop. Door (as rudder flags). Dive prop?

If you drive a cirrus the parachute is a primary flight control

How could you tell he was joking? What if he’s serious? Why would you be angry?
Yeah. I think it’s a valid perspective. I see little value in classifying primary and secondary controls. There are far better ways of thinking about it.

This takes me back to the thread with the 25 character mnemonic for landing checklist. At some point it’s just flying.

How could you tell he was joking? What if he’s serious? Why would you be angry?
Yeah, maybe he was serious. We don't need to know what the rudder is for. It's superfluous.

Back