Vans RV6A purchase question

Bilal

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bilal
Hey All,

First of all, I apologize in advance if this post does not belong here. Please point me in the correct section and I'll gladly repost there.

Thinking about purchasing an RV6A and would like to hear why OR why not it's a good platform for a low-time pilot?

Little background on my flying experience. I am a low time VFR pilot (~180 hours), mostly in Cessna 172, 150, Cherokee 140, Archer II and 20 some hours in a tailwheel aircraft. I have had the opportunity to fly with a friend in his RV and really enjoyed it (minus the bumpy part).

My plan is to do IFR and basic aerobatics training next. Most of my flying will be within 200nm radius until I get my IFR ticket, and then perhaps I will start exploring other parts of the country.

Thank you in advance for all your replies.

I did some primary flight instruction in one and it was fine.

Even IFR, would be fine. Tougher than a Cherokee say, but only in that a quicker scan is required, never a bad thing to develop.

I am not IFR rated so I may be full of hooey, but I have heard the 6/6A is not a stable IFR platform. The 9/9A is better suited. Again, second hand info

You are correct on both counts. The -6 is gonna simply take longer, but completely doable.

The -6 is no less stable than a A4, where I got my instrument rating, as a 180 hr pilot.

The -6 is no less stable than a A4, where I got my instrument rating, as a 180 hr pilot.
Fair comparison in terms of handling qualities but I suspect his training will be a little less rigorous/regimented. It *will* take longer than a typical IMC trainer, but there's also something to be said for training in the airplane you'll fly afterwards.

Nauga,
popeye

A-4s had instruments? I thought you guys had a sextant and a drawn-on gun sight to navigate by.

I’d fart in your general direction... but...

You’re right. Ever use a sextant and the HO449 star tables in a single seater? Guuud fun!

Sextant batteries never go dead. But when they did in your flash light, problem.

Actually you are SO overstating it. We had a UHF NDB... that’s a instrument... kinda.

Go for it.

Seems like you haven’t figured out what kind of flying you’ll be doing in say, 5 years, but that’s fine. An RV6 can be a cost effective way to own, fly some acro and train on instruments. And it’s just a fun airplane.

If you end up primarily flying to vacation spots or to visit family on a constant basis with say 2 people and luggage, you’ll end up in a different airplane.

If you get the acro bug in a big way, you’ll end up in a different plane.

If you end up banging around locally, doing some light acro and occasionally doing a $100 burger or pancakes, maybe an annual pilgrimage to Oshkosh, you will love an RV6 for a long time, or a ‘7.

Shop until you find a good one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

curious if the 14 is any better a platform?

I hope your 6 has a damn good autopilot if you're doing IFR in it.
Agree with @steingar here.
I did my IFR in my RV-9A, which has a longer, more stable wing, and it is still really hard to hand-fly approaches accurately.

EDIT: But definitely buy the -6A...you'll love it!

No doubt but a completely different price point I would guess.

I ask since I'm contemplating building. Was originally planning on a 10. But ive got access to a Cherokee Six and the speed and acro of the 14 are beginning to appeal more and more.

its totally unacceptable because the third wheel is on the wrong end, good thing is, vans will sell you the parts to put the little wheel on the tail where it belongs..........

Hey All,

First of all, I apologize in advance if this post does not belong here. Please point me in the correct section and I'll gladly repost there.

Thinking about purchasing an RV6A and would like to hear why OR why not it's a good platform for a low-time pilot?

Little background on my flying experience. I am a low time VFR pilot (~180 hours), mostly in Cessna 172, 150, Cherokee 140, Archer II and 20 some hours in a tailwheel aircraft. I have had the opportunity to fly with a friend in his RV and really enjoyed it (minus the bumpy part).

My plan is to do IFR and basic aerobatics training next. Most of my flying will be within 200nm radius until I get my IFR ticket, and then perhaps I will start exploring other parts of the country.

I think an RV6A would be great. There have been a few issues with the nose wheel digging in on soft surfaces and flipping the plane on it's back. You'll be fine if you keep the nose wheel off as long as you can in situations like that.
If you haven't already found it, the Van's Air Force forum has loads of info on all Van's aircraft but, in my opinion, is over-moderated.

YMMV

I thinks a 6A is a great plane for where you’re at. You’re lowish time, but you’re not brand new either. Have some fun. I wouldn’t wait to get your IFR to get out there and explore the country. I’ll just go ahead and put my fire retardant suit on here and say that a 6A is fine for IFR training and I wouldn’t worry about (or worry about buying) a 9A. You probably would want at least a wing leveler or single-axis autopilot that can track a heading bug.

I ask since I'm contemplating building. Was originally planning on a 10. But ive got access to a Cherokee Six and the speed and acro of the 14 are beginning to appeal more and more.

I built a ‘10 10 years ago and it’s been our magic carpet. Purely a traveling machine for us. Fast, roomy, easy to fly, great IFR platform, carries as much stuff as we can fit into it. Building and maintaining is a great way to go if you can do it.

The ‘10 and the ‘14 are pretty highly evolved designs given what’s gone on before. With access to a Six, a ‘14 sounds like a helluva good choice. Order sooner than later - ship dates have recently been pushed out on ‘10s and I assume ‘14s.

The 6 is a perfect aircraft for what you want. You will have no issues using it for instrument training. In fact you will learn to have a proper instrument scan that will stay with you throughout your flying career.

Everyone says the RVs are poor IFR platforms. I own an RV7A and shoot hand ILS approaches for practice, but still haven't taken the check ride (too much fun flying the RV to finish up and my area doesn't get IFR but 2 days a year one with ICE and the other with Lightning). Yes, it is responsive, but you get used to it. Once airborne, you almost don't need to have your feet on the rudders they're that well balanced. Your CFII may have shown you to use rudder rather than aileron for small lateral input changes.

On the plus side, you can buy some MASSIVE avionics and auto-pilot packages in the experimental world without breaking the bank. Have someone in your area give you a ride ...

The RV7 has the same tail as the Tiger, which I previously owned, but can't handle as heavy a direct crosswind as the Tiger (I landed a 33k direct in the Tiger, but biggest in the RV has been 25k, I guess due to being much lighter).

I flew ifr in a 6 for 15 years, no autopilot. Yes, is is less stable than a Piper or Cessna but still not a problem. You fly it with fingertips and it is a hell of a lot of fun. In hard ifr without an autopilot it can get tiring from the focus required. Go for it!

I’d fart in your general direction... but...
You’re right. Ever use a sextant and the HO449 star tables in a single seater? Guuud fun!
Never used a sextant with HO449 star tables but I have used a sextant and the HO249 sight reduction tables. ;)

249 were ship driver tables, 449 were for aviators as I remember it and MUCH easier to use.

Spoiler alert, I’ve never really used a sextant in a A4... but it was VERY primitive!

Hey All,

Despite everything you're being told here, and the 6A is a great airplane, but it is not a good platform for IFR training, especially for a low time pilot. It is not a beginner aircraft. Things happen pretty fast.

You can not punish the nose on a 6A. It will dig in, and pole vault. Treat the nose as a steering wheel, not a landing gear. And that goes whether it's the new gear, old gear, or had Allen's stiffener modification. The nose gear demands respect.

With two up, especially if you're wearing parachutes, (to be legal), you will not be able to stay within the aerobatic weight and balance envelope for the 6A.

Also, the aircraft is slick, and a beginner can get things out of control very quickly. The early 6A's had a smaller rudder, and spin recovery is a consideration. It is not a good platform for aerobatic training.

10 years + of ownership speaking here.......

I got my IR ticket in my 9. Did the first 10 hours of training in a 172 then switched over when things started to click. The RVs are very sensitive. You can get off course and altitude with the quickness. It will make you a very precise pilot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back