Garmin Databases

Timothy Burchett

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
I have a GTN-650 and a GI-275 configured as a Primary HSI. I need to renew my Garmin subscriptions. For $299, I can be IFR legal by just getting the 650 Nav database vice the $650 OnePak that updates everything. Has anyone chosen to only update their GPS database? Any issues navigating off the 275 if they have different navigation databases? I am having a hard time justifying the extra $350 for the OnePak, but wanted to see what I am missing or if anyone had any thoughts. Thanks!

I don't think it should matter as an HSI. As long as you have the rest of the information (charts and plates) somewhere, then you should be fine.

Check with your avionics installer or Garmin, they are funny about data bases!! My 750/650 data bases expired, and my subscription had run out, and they had reduced functionality. No, direct to from the flight plan, which is a pain IFR.

I have a GNC 355 and a GI-275 (CDI- but also included is a map function, terrain, and a HSI mode). A one-time full database update came with the 355 so I used that for the GI-275, then bought a nav subscription for the 355. It was a few hundred cheaper and I don't need the nav data, obstacles, etc. for the 275.

Check with your avionics installer or Garmin, they are funny about data bases!! My 750/650 data bases expired, and my subscription had run out, and they had reduced functionality. No, direct to from the flight plan, which is a pain IFR.
Yep, that's the Garmin penalty feature. If you don't keep the databases up to date, they shut off quite a bit of the features. Pay up sucka!

Yep, that's the Garmin penalty feature. If you don't keep the databases up to date, they shut off quite a bit of the features. Pay up sucka!
I was flying the plane to the paint shop with the buyer! I wasn’t going to pay $900 for a 1:30 trip. :D

Back