Do you ever sacrifice the quantity of life for...

I don’t worry about those things. When we all woke up today, we are got one day closer to death. We don’t know when that day is, could be tomorrow could be years down the road.

Many folks I know over 80 seem to average 3 doctor appts per week, mobility issues and the dreaded dementia/Alzheimer’s. Aging is not easy, so there’s a plus side to not outliving your body. Probably not a popular view, but it’s just the way I see it. I am not endorsing euthanasia, but just know that once you’re into your 80’s it’s usually all down hill. Medical science can keep you going, but are you really enjoying life?

Damn right I am. Died 7 years ago, was revived, new heart plumbing and having a great time flying, dating, traveling and whatever else might amuse me. .

Cheers

This week I had a patient who was 94 and walked into the exam room under his own power. A bit hard of hearing, but otherwise fully functional. After the study was done, the tech asked whether he needed assistance to get back to the car and he declined as 'I made it in here, I'll make it back out!' Patients like that aren't all that common, but they give me hope that things can work out allright.

It's all about the odds and there are no guarantees. There are guys out there over 100 who have drank, smoked, and ate red meat almost every day of their life. There are people who obsessed with health and safety who randomly die young from an aneurysm.

I'd probably have better odds at a long life if I started eating a mostly plants diet, gave up sugary drinks, gave up alcoholic beverages, and stopped fooling around driving motorized vehicles a little too fast. Although, I'm not sure why I'd want to at that point.

Pondering this seriously this morning - "quality" is different for each person. Nobody else can define happiness for you and anybody who attempts to doesn't have an understanding of YOU and therefore must get it wrong and cause misery instead. You can't plan someone else's life out according to your values and expect them to be excited about you doing it.

Does that mean sometimes people hurt themselves and take risks that might kill or maim them? Absolutely. Given our shared hobby, I have a difficult time believe there is anyone here who believes they should tell everyone else what to do or not do because otherwise we'll all be told that flying is stupid and given good reasons we should never fly. Flying is about trading a quantity of something...sometimes life...for the quality of living.

I love the freedom to choose, even when I'm not making choices that optimize the length of living...

It all depends on what you like and what your priorities are. The items that Sac listed in the OP are mostly chemical dopamine producers, so while they make you feel good, it's something that I've always viewed as a "false high" since it's not from actually doing something (womanizing/manizing perhaps being the exception there).

When it comes to inherently dangerous activities, you only get one turn in life, best make it a good one. I've seen a lot of people who've led very boring, perfectly preserved lives, and have little to show for it at the end as far as memorable experiences go.

Taking appropriate precautions is logical. I enjoy riding motorcycles, I always wear a helmet and some sort of protective jacket and gloves. I don't ride around here at night due to deer. I generally avoid bad weather days too. Obviously I enjoy fast cars and flying, but don't go out trying to do things that will likely get me killed. And since shutting down Cloud Nine I've effectively stopped flying. So wrenching, motorcycling, fast cars, dangerous tractors, I suppose those are all vices and as long as I enjoy them, don't see a reason to give them up. Yes, they might kill me, but people die driving their Volvos, too. And after watching a number of people go through the slow and agonizing death of old age, no thanks.

The drinking/smoking one, I enjoyed good beer, wine, and liquor, most of all enjoying the good flavor pairings with food. But stopped drinking earlier this year along with some other life changes as I was noticing my body wasn't happy about some things. I miss the flavor pairings, but otherwise don't miss it.

There are guys out there over 100 who have drank, smoked, and ate red meat almost every day of their life.

I had an uncle that smoked, drank alcohol and was over weight just about all of his adult life. He lived to be 83 and died due to blood clots caused by injuries in a car wreck, where the other driver was at fault. Now while he wasn't the picture of perfect health, he did not have any health problems usually associated with life long smokers/drinkers.

I had an uncle that smoked, drank alcohol and was over weight just about all of his adult life. He lived to be 83 and died due to blood clots caused by injuries in a car wreck, where the other driver was at fault.

Like others have said it depends on the person. I've kept clean from tobacco & alcohol for many years and I like feeling alive and healthy. But when I do go I'd like to go in my sleep like my grandpa, not like the others in the car with him. :D

My great-grandfather lived to be 98, but lived a pretty simple and easy life. He was vegetarian and grew 90% of his food in his backyard. Never drank or smoked or did anything that was very exciting, but deep down, I think he was pretty miserable.

So why does eman have a King University pen on the yolk?

lol I never even looked at what was on the pen. the former owner was from TN and the pen came with the plane (BONUS!). otherwise.......college girls........I get older, they stay the same age......

lol I never even looked at what was on the pen. the former owner was from TN and the pen came with the plane (BONUS!). otherwise.......college girls........I get older, they stay the same age......

I was so disappointed when I found it wasn't a strip club...

Buy a plane, get a free pen. Not a bad deal!

Your question sounds like the ultimate question of the universe (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) and the answer is 42.

I grew up in the second most dangerous occupation - farming (highest is mining), and survived to adulthood by always practicing safety first. My oldest brother joked that Dad taught us Farm Safety 101, and that wasn't far from the truth.
That's carried over to my adult life.

That’s different…usually the Aspen just red X’es as opposed to shutting off. So I’ve heard…

My experience was it shut off, let out magic smoke, then briefly turned on again, all while over southern Mexico outside of ATC radio coverage.

I wasn’t happy when that happened.

This week I had a patient who was 94 and walked into the exam room under his own power. A bit hard of hearing, but otherwise fully functional. After the study was done, the tech asked whether he needed assistance to get back to the car and he declined as 'I made it in here, I'll make it back out!' Patients like that aren't all that common, but they give me hope that things can work out allright.

I’ll let you know in 15 years or so how things work out (I hope):D

Cheers

I had friends who were saving all their money for retirement. Some of them never got there. I had the opposite philosophy: do the stuff you can while you can. Water and downhill skiing, hiking into rough fishing places, stuff like that, plus flying. Got the arthritis to prove the rough stuff, and can't do much of it anyore. Neither can most of the guys my age who didn't do it.

Never smoked, never drank, never fooled with drugs. Ate too many hamburgers.

Edit: I forgot to mention that spending time with your family is one of the best things you can do in life. There are far too many people who regret being selfish with their time, and regret is something that never goes away.

Last edited:

Like when I asked my 99 year old Grandmother if I could borrow her Rototiller. She told me no, but she would be happy to bring it over an Rototill my garden for me.:) She lived to be 107. To bad my Mom was adopted, would like to have some of my grandmothers genes.

How would we know? Some drink, smoke, <insert favorite vice here> and live into their 90's. Others live the clean life, eat healthy, stay fit and drop dead in their 40's...

No teeth. Can't chew meat.

Me and the wife found a way around that little problem. When we go to the restaurant they always ask me why I'm watching her eat while my food gets cold. "I'm waiting for her to get done using the teeth" is my reply. :D

I have an example of a person close to me that exchanged quantity for quality. But the legality of the choice is up for interpretation and I won’t post details.

let’s simply say. Yes.

Back